Fl Disablity for a Child with Asthma How Does It Work and Should I Apply?

Updated on November 18, 2010
B.J. asks from Hialeah, FL
10 answers

ok my daughter is 6 years old, since she was born shes been in and out of the hospital with breathing problems (shes asthmatic) she was just officially diagnosed with asthma when she turned 5, now my question is i seriously cant work due to her illness shes in and out of the hospital atleast twice a month with breathing problems, shes always on prednisolone (a steroid for her lungs) now she was diagnosed with severe allergies as well she gets anaphylaxia and requieres an epipen with her at all times, i was wondering would it be possiblle to get her disabled with this condition? im a single mother of 2 and making ends meet is getting really dificult so im taking any help i can get....

p.s. she takes pulmicort regulary twice a day
albuterol more than 3 times a month
singulair every day
symbicort 2xs a day as well

and she was recently in the hospital for a sever case of mycoplasma phneumonia, i seriously need this help how can i do to get it?

thanks in advance

note all these medications i listed she needs to take daily wheather shes sick or not

1 mom found this helpful

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

So What Happened?

i went to my local social security office with all her papers from all the hospital stays, medications, pediatrician intervention, and the did the spirometry test today before i went to ss and her levels have actually lowered even tho shes taking all those meds, the social worker told me she will be approved with all the proof i submitted plus its interfering with her life in a way that shes barely in school due to this, shes not getting better and shes been on treatment for a year now, what also helped alot is that she was actually on an apnea monitor when she was small for a very long time, and i have all those reports from all the times she wouldnt be able to breathe properly so we are off to a great start

More Answers



answers from St. Louis on

Wow, you have alot on your plate. My son also was on the same regime as your daughter. Try doing some more investigating, I did. We removed the carpeting from him room, purchased a steam machine for cleaning a stopped using chemicals to clean with. I wash the curtains in his room every month. We have pets dogs and cats so vacuming everyday is a must. Also get her outside help build up her tolerence. And never limit or tell her this is a disability. My son is now 15 hasn't had meds in 7 years, skateboards to school. Sure he ocassionaly has some issues but he know his limits and respects his condition for what it is. Some of these issues are enviromental problems so he's learned what to avoid. Try to find your daughters triggers and eliminate them. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Miami on

A condition that is debilitating and expected to continue long-term could be considered as qualifying for state disability benefits. I don't know if your daughter's asthma will qualify or not. What I can say is that you will benefit from exploring alternative and holistic medicine approaches to asthma. I know people who've had severe asthma have it fully disappear when natural healing approaches got to the roots of the problem and resolved it - all those drugs are just addressing the overt symptoms of asthma and can cause additional problems themselves. If you message me I can refer you to local natural healing specialists in Miami.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Minneapolis on

Gaining SSDI is a lot harder than one can imagine these days. You will have to prove that you are home because no one else could ever take care of your daughter besides you and that if it were not for you, she would have to be placed in a 'group home' like setting. Meaning her life keeps her from living a normal day to day life. It would mean that she would be considered special needs enough to need an IEP at school or would need to miss so much school she would legally be behind. Not trying to be mean, but just letting you know what you are up against. With all of the budget crisis, it is a lot harder these days. You will also have to get her doctor to declare that she is physically disabled more than 60% of the time. You can call SS right now and get an interview over the phone and all of the paperwork started. Just be REAL careful. I do have a child with a TRUE disablity and did not qualify for SSDI. I also have a friend with a son with Autism who applied for SSDI, because she too is disable. They got approved and started collecting checks. Two years later SS came back and told them they should have not recieved funds because he was not truly disabled enough. (WTHeck... Autism is not disabled)? They got presented with a bill to pay back SS and since they do not have any money (due to being on a fixed income) they now have a lien on their house until it is paid back. All of the stuff you speak of with your child, I too have it with one of my children; who is not considered disabled. We live with a NEB machine at the bedside. My kid keeps skin infections due to allergies including MRSA, goes to the allergist 4 times a month just for maintenance, is on 7 medications a day, has been hospitalized on a vent 3 times in life and also has anaphlaxis to a few things. All of these things came at the time of BIRTH! We found out at a few months old the road we were needing to follow.... Even with all of that, I do not think we would qualify for disability. You can try it though.
I know your daughter would not qualify for county services, because short of her needing to live in a bubble, the county will not declare her disabled because her health and safety is not in jeopardy. So I suggest you calling social security and making an appointment for a phone interview. You will then see if you qualify for an intake. You will then need a doctor to sign off on your paperwork and go through intake. They then will give you an answer. Good Luck!
Just to add: All of your medication is very common for allergy children and do not declare a need for her to be at home. We too are on all of those medications including several others.
Let me just give you an example:
***Takes pulmicort regulary twice a day***
>Can be taken at 8AM and bedtime
***albuterol more than 3 times a month ***
>In inhaler form can be taken in the morning, at school (school nurses do this all of th time) and at dinner or bedtime. Since albuterol is a steroid, we do it at dinner time instead of bedtime.
***singulair every day***
>Taken in the morning (grant it, we do ours at night, because we are on several other ones and when paired I give it with other meds to create better sleep.
***symbicort 2xs a day as well ***
>Taken in the morning with your other medication and at bedtime
***XXX*** is your post and my suggestions are > after it.
Hope this helps make your day a bit smoother. At 6 years old, is she in school?

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Tampa on

Sorry to hear about your daughter...but no you can not get her qualified as disabled. It just doesn't happen that way..there are thousands of children with breathing problems and on medicine. My daughter has been up to as many as 16 pills a day and has cut back at times to one a day because she can't afford to go to the doctor or get the medicine. We were paying it right up until this past couple of months when she moved out. She is trying not to use as much medicine and see if it makes a difference. She also is supposed to keep a epipen with her at all times. She is allergic to everything here on earth but a elm tree...My niece has three girls with asthma and allergies and they are all in and out of the hospital and on medications. It is not uncommon for kids to have these issues...But there are a lot of things you can do around your home to prevent a lot of the issues. For example, always keep the dishes washed, keep the floors swept and mopped at least twice a day, if you have carpet shampoo it once a month. I always did mine the first of every month. No pets, Wash curtains once a month. Get rid of any blinds as they collect dust more than anything. Wash her bedding several times a week. Dust every day. I know it's a lot of work but it really does make a difference and the list goes on and on. For example if riding in the car do not put the windows down and if you run the air make sure it is set to circulate through the car and not bring in outside air. Also keeping the car clean makes a big difference. My daughter is 22 and living on her own now but she has her car washed at least once a week, twice when ever possible. She keeps her home spotless and dishes are done right after eating. Like I said, it's a lot of work but it's worth it to help her with her breathing. And also I was a single Mom for years but I still managed to get the girls the medical care they needed, dental care, even braces and never took a dime from Welfare. If there is a will there is a way...I worked and worked and worked several hours and ate soup and sandwiches for years but they have both graduated with double majors from USF and I am very proud of them. Also, if you have a shower curtain go to the dollar store and buy several liners and change them often. A shower curtain contains more germs and bacteria then a lot of things in your home.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Miami on

Hello B.,

My son will be 5 in December and his been a chronic asthamtic since he was 4 months old so I know perfectly how it is . He has been in hospitalized several ocassions & had pheumonia so I totally know . My son now is much better and under control he does practice swimming 4 x a week 45 minutes which is great for those with lungs issues . With that said I think your daughters meds should be changed around . Albuterol should be giving only for emergency.I don't like singular becuase it didn't work for him , Orapred ( Prednisone Steriod ) I HATE IT !!!!! But only in case of emergency should it be used only .My son at this time is on Advair two puff twice a day ( Morning & Night ) Unfurtunately this is not an illness that you can apply disability to it , It's very hard I know but is learning how to keep it under control . I would talk to her Dr. and change her meds around she is taking strong meds that it can be giving the reaction as well . I wish yuo well . I


answers from Los Angeles on

Have you asked a nurse adviser at your medical provider's office?
Sometimes they can refer you to a social worker who is familiar with
how to apply and what documentation you would need.
I hope you'll be able to stay home with her
and be able to support your family at the same time.
I'm wondering if part of DD's problem might be humidity
and/or mold in your home . . . no reflection on your housekeeping,
simply based on where you live.
How's your other child?
Do you have allergies and/or asthma in your family?
Good luck.



answers from Philadelphia on

You are going to need the help of your pediatrician's office and probably a social worker. These are very complicated issues and you will need help getting this sorted out. If you live in PA, I would suggest going to the welfare office for help. I don't know if they have similar places in Florida. Start by calling the pediatricians office or your childs health insurace administrator. There are so many things that need to happen, first and foremost is getting your daughter healthy. Good luck, I hope someone else has a better answer for you.



answers from Pittsburgh on

You were given lots of great advice, start with your home, get rid of all TOXIC cleaners you buy in a store, there are many greener cleaners that would make a difference, www.AHealthyLifeForAll.com and see how chemcials in laundry products, cleaners, and even personal care items can affect people, especially asthma. I changed where I shop for better products withouit chemicals and made a big difference for my 2 boys with asthma. Even if it helps a little, it is a positive step forward.



answers from New York on

I believe there is a type of social security you may be able to get for her (SSI or supplemental social security). I would call social security or check the social security web site to find out the process (some forms may be online now ). You will probably have to go to the social security office, get and fill out paperwork and submit it . You will definitely need to have a physical or submit medical records to determine if your daughter is eligible. It can take several months for the whole process. You might check with the pediatrician's office or the hospital social worker if they have any details for you or can help you get started. When I was a case worker I did assist one client with this process but she has mental health issues, not physical ones. I had several clients who had SSI for their children, some with asthma. I'm also in a different state but I think social security is a federal program.


answers from Houston on

FMLA law and disability is tricky, I don't know how it works as being a care taker of a child with health issues, I honestly don't think she would be qualified as disabled as her asthma does not prevent her from experiencing life aside from her precautions and medications. Sorry, I've just seen families with such severe health issues of children and spouses so much worse than this and aside from tax breaks on the medical care, the parents didn't get any other support. Proving total disability and severe functional limitations is very difficult and it doesn't really sound like she would apply as being disabled anyways, though consulting her physician would be helpful and necessary for you to provide medical proof.

My sil had the same issues as your daughter as a child, anaphalctic shock, had to use the epipen numerous times, also in and out of the hospital... but her health progressed as she maintained her health and as an adult, she is perfectly fine and has her asthma and allergies under control, though still has to have the epipen around just in case (though she hasn't needed it in many years).

According to the law, "A child under 18 is considered disabled if his or her physical or mental condition is so severe that it results in marked and severe functional limitations. The condition must last or be expected to last at least 12 months or be expected to result in the child's death. And of course, the child must not be working at a job that we consider to be substantial work. "

Information on it can be found here:

and how to apply and a qualification evaluation here:

As far as being a single mother is concerned, there are resources to help with that such as food/shelter..., and perhaps laws for some jobs to require time off for emergencies if taking care of a relative with a health condition, but not sure if they are really effective or if they really even exist for all levels of employment.

I hope your daughter can get well very soon and your lives will stabilize soon as well.

- just read your update, I would imagine that being on oxygen most of the day is very disabling. I truly hope you do get some sort of help. do you know what she is allergic too? I know humidity in fl is quite bad and can cause a lot more severe allergy problems. there are ways to help with that in the home, . to remove drapes, remove carpet (or at least lay down seagrass rugs), excess pillows... I read an article on creating an allergin home, lots of interesting ideas, I'll see if I can find it and post it.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions