Fatty Deposit on Toddler's Forehead

Updated on June 19, 2018
J.R. asks from Cambridge, MA
6 answers

My son is 2.5 years old. He bumped his head at his grandparent's house when he was about 1. He needed stitches; it was a very deep wound. I've noticed a lump when he raises his eyebrows that seems to be getting bigger. It has been well over a year now, so I am confused. I brought him to the doctor, but she said she would not worry about it as it is probably due to the trauma. It wasn't until today that I realized in pictures he had the lump before the accident occurred. I am really worried. The lump is soft, so I do not believe it is bone growing.

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

So What Happened?

Is there a way for me to show a picture of his forehead?

More Answers



answers from Portland on

I've seen this on here before. Isn't it the tissue (the fatty tissue) that gets dented, and it takes a few years to grow back together? that's why you sometimes see dents and bumps on heads after a bump?

I wouldn't worry about it, especially if the doctor said it was o.k.

It's not the skull that is dented.

4 moms found this helpful


answers from San Francisco on

Just call the doctor's office (or send an email, with photo attached) and let them know you noticed this before the accident. They can advise you from there.

4 moms found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

If you are not ok with your Dr's advice, find another Dr.

It will not hurt anything to get a 2nd opinion anyway.

3 moms found this helpful


answers from Washington DC on

my younger developed a big fatty deposit over one eyebrow. it bugged me, but it didn't bug his pediatrician. seemingly puzzled by my frequent queries about it, he finally said that plastic surgery would fix it.

that was more than i wanted to do.

now he's 27 and it's disappeared completely.

ETA in response to your SWH, we're not doctors, looking at it won't suddenly grant us medical degrees. you need to get second and third opinions from actual doctors if this is bothering you this much.

3 moms found this helpful


answers from Pittsburgh on

I agree with others that you should take the pics to your ped and let her know that you aren't comfortable with no knowing, and that you want more info. She didn't know that it might have been there before, and looking at the pictures might change her opinion. She needs all the information to give you good advice, so don't feel awkward about making another appointment to discuss it again now that you have more info.

That said, my older fell down steps when he was 17 months old (so scary). He is 12 now, and we can still see the lump on his forehead. A stranger wouldn't notice it if no one pointed it out but I can see it easily. It's the scar tissue from the fall, and he'll have it forever. I don't know if this is what you are seeing. Maybe it is something different if it was there before the fall. I don't know, but your ped can help you sort it out.

3 moms found this helpful


answers from Miami on

Do your research and find a pediatric dermatologist who is well respected. It will probably take a while to get an appointment. Tell him or her that you want to get to the bottom of this mystery.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions