Eczema Advice - Tucson, AZ

Updated on December 26, 2006
K.L. asks from Tucson, AZ

Hello,
My 22 month old has very sensitive skin. Her eczema has begun to flare up again recently and I was just wondering if any of you have input on the topic. We found that the 'Gentle Naturals' baby wash for eczema seems to irritate her the least, we use a lotion with lactic acid (have tried aquaphor, cetaphil & white tea lotion). She has some Rx cortisone cream but I hate to use it if I don't have to. Has anyone found any natural remedies?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

• Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

M.L.

answers from Tucson on

Hi, My son now 3 also had that problem and i think i used just about everything in the pharmacy, until one day one of my boyfriends nephew recommended this cream that worked miracles.
I dont know how hard it is for you to travel into mexico but if you ever do look for a cream called ELICA...
i bought it for my son and i kid you not within 1 day it was gone, yes it would come back, but everytime it did i was less until it was all gone. Hope this helps!!

L.S.

answers from Tucson on

My daughter and I both have this and I found that a product called SuperSalve works wonderfully. I think you can get it at Wild Oats, but I order directly from their site www.supersalve.com it isn't that expensive either.

J.C.

answers from Phoenix on

My son (who is now 3 1/2) also had bad eczema and still gets it on occassion. I found that using the Aveeno baby wash (which I still use) doesn't irritate his skin and is pretty much all I use. Target has a generic brand in the baby section that I buy. It's half the price and says right on the label that it is comparible to Aveeno. Also, I use over the counter 1% hydrocortisone cream. It REALLY helps. I would put it on him every night after bath and usually only after 2 times of putting it on it would be much better. Hope that helps.

E.C.

answers from Phoenix on

both my husband and daughter have eczema and it always helps to stay away from dairy products for awhile. My daughter loves cereal so we are trying soymilk as a substitute. I hope that helps, we've also tried tea tree oil and that helps, but we also need to explore more natural topical remedies. Ill let you know if we come across anything else. You may also want to check out a book called, "Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child" It lists tons of symptoms, illnesses and tells you what a traditional doctor will suggest, as well as the homeopathic solution and a naturopathic solution. I've found it to be a tremendous help, especially going a natural wellness route. good luck!
Hope this helped!

N.O.

answers from Phoenix on

My daughter had really bad eczema on her hands and feet. I tried everything and finally found THE BEST and a very inexpensive treatment... that works...it is the Burt's Bee's skin care line. Some Walgreen's carry it but if you go to there web site (www.burtsbees.com ) they have a baby line that is ALL NATURAL!!!. I use the bath powder every night and sometimes the baby oil on her sponge. The baby cream is amazing. I noticed a difference w/in 3 days. It was a great find. Hope it helps you. My daughter doesn't even cry when I put it on and all the treatments that I got from her Dr. clearly hurt when applied. Give it a try.
Take Care- Niki Olson

G.G.

answers from Albuquerque on

Hello K., my sisters baby had severe eczema...I felt so bad for him, he looked misable...she tried everything.......
finally she got rid of everthing polyester or containing polyester, blankets clothes, everything, and now it is almost completly gone...it took about a month to start clearing up, but I think it would be worth a try....

answers from Denver on

Hi K. --
I dont know if you have had her allergy tested, but I found that with my little girl, once I had her allergy tested, I kept her away from her many, many food allergies and her eczema is much better. She still has break outs but nothing compared to what she used to have.

C.S.

answers from Phoenix on

Hi K.;

I have that problem at times and so does Ezekiel and I've used VANICREAM which I bought at the pharmacy at the Hospital one time. It works well and you can also check the website, I think, at www.psico.com. Good luck.

A.

answers from Albuquerque on

My daughter has it and it's much worst in winter because of the dry air. When you give her a bath don't always use soap. just let her play in the bath and get cleaned that way, do use it occasionally. Also my doctor recomended mixing vasaline with eucerine, equal amounts or more vasaline. It's practically equal to aquafer, however much cheaper and a bit gentler. When she gets bad I use it twice a day, it is very greasy so usually I'll put it on her over a blanket and then put long sleaves and pants so it can absorb into her skin and not get all over the place.
The oatmeal didn't work for her because she's highly allergic to a lot of things. The sensitive bath irritated her too, and we use baby magic and that doesn't irritate her skin. Also keeping her away from perfumes, in lotions laundry detergents and even your clothing helps a lot too. Dreft is the safest.
I didn't like using the steriods either, and haven't had too for a year now with this mix. Good luck, I hope this helped.
-A.

A.L.

answers from Phoenix on

My son has it too and i use Udderly Smooth. Im not sure where else it's sold but I get it at Walmart in the pharmacy section.
A.

H.M.

answers from Phoenix on

When my daughter was young we used ground flax seed to keep her excema under control.(it's mentioned on several eczema websites as I recall) It's sold in the flour section of most stores - Trader Joe's has it very inexpensively. We mixed about a couple tbsps a day into some applesauce for her to eat and that worked really well. They also have flax seed oil if she doesn't like the taste of the seed. Make sure you give it a try for at least a week because it does not work on the first day.
We were like you in that we avoided the cortisone cream, elidel in particular I've heard bad things about as regards side effects. Whenever she had a really bad flare-up, one doctor actually suggested Zyrtec RX syrup and that worked really well, especially when her undereyes were very red. Hope some of this helps!

C.P.

answers from Denver on

My 8 month old son has excema as well, pretty badly. I hate to use the hydrocortizone cream too! My doctor presribed Eledel ( i think that's how you spell it) it's a cream that you can use everyday for as long as you want (unlike the hydrocortizone that you can only use for a couple weeks at a time). It works fairly well, not as well as the hydrocort, but enough to keep it less red. It's a little pricey, but it's the best I've used.

answers from Phoenix on

K.,

My daughter suffers from eczema too. When she was six months it got so bad that it almost covered her whole face!(Poor little thing) It's gotten a lot better as she's gotten older. The best advice I can give is to give her fewer baths, and just use water (soft water if you can) as much as possible. Cetaphil always worked for me and Cetaphil lotion after her bath. I also use hydrocortisone cream when I have to and that always seems to knock it out within a day or two and my doc says that it isn't damaging if you don't use it on a daily basis.
I hope this helps...

Good Luck to you and Happy Halloween!

Also, research Elidel before you use it. I used it on my daughter when she had it on her face and it does work very well, but later another doc told me that there are cancer risks in young children with this medication.

L.W.

answers from Santa Fe on

My daughter has problems with food allergy.
Cutting wheat and dairy, or doing an elimination diet/food diary may help. Also other post is somewhat related. Watch for what others may use in same bath tub too.(Coloring, frangrance,etc)

Hope your daughter finds relief.

P.

answers from Phoenix on

I went to Dr. at the Mayo Clinic last week for this rash. Anyway, it ends up that they think I have eczema and they recommended this moisturizer called Vanicream. I bought it at the Mayo Clinic but they also had a website www. psico.com.
There's all kinds of products that this brand makes such as soap, shampoo, etc.. Also they recommended the use of fragrance free detergents, etc...
They also prescribed a medication that was made at the pharmacy with a little cortisone for highly affected areas, It is a mixture of Vanicream with Hydrocortisone 2.5%. I hope this helps!
P.

M.C.

answers from Phoenix on

Hi K.-

My daughter had a major skin rash that was not eczema, but my doc said that we should stop using any Baby Magic or Johnson Baby products all together. My doc told me to use the Neutrogena original cleansing bar for bathing. He told us to change from Dreft to ALL Free for detergent, no fabric softeners, no tomato pastes in any of her food, no baby wipes for the time being. Just some ideas if you are trying to eliminate irritants. I had it in elementary school and remember how awful it was. I hope you find something for your little girl.

R.S.

answers from Denver on

I have a four year old daughter that has very bad eczema all of her life. We tried alot of the same stuf you seem to have tried but the best thing for our daughter is vaseline. I don't know if your doctor ever told you this but immediately after her bath put the vaseline on. The moisture will only stay in her skin for 15 min. after her bath. And it is best to put 100% cotton PJ's on. The cotton fibers are not as irritating on the skin. I don't know if you have ever had her tested for allergies but we did and since she has started all of her allergy medicine and shots weekly her skin is improving tremendously. Another thing is our daughter gets baths everyday but only uses soap products onece a week. We found that anything that had fragrence in it would make her break out. She doesn't use any soaps, we don't wash her laundry in anything but clear soaps and use about of a fourth of a cup in her stuff. This is the worst time of the year for eczema due to the weather. I would use the vaseline and use it heavily at night. I also have my daughter take off her PJ's in the morning put vaseline on, put her PJ's back on and wear it for an hour so she gets some moisture for the day. But vaseline stains this is the worst part. I hope this will help.

Rashae'

answers from Denver on

Our pediatrician recommends a teaspoon of flax seed oil taken orally every day. You can mix it in with cereal or macaroni and cheese, etc. It really helped our son!

C.K.

answers from Tucson on

I had been struggling with eczema myself, and then stumbled upon a very natural remedy - cocconut oil! If you Google search eczema and coccount oil, you'll find lots of information about it. Find it a healthfood store - and use the purest one you can find. It goes a long way, and is great for other uses - which you can find online. There's not a strong odor with the pure brands, so you really don't even notice it. It's especially nice with babies because it doesn't matter if they lick it (if you put it on their hands or arms) unlike some meds or lotions.

C.S.

answers from Fort Collins on

First things first, never use a soap because it's one of the worst things for sensitive skin, or any type of skin for that matter. Soap strips the skin of many properties that keeps it healthy, including the ph balance that skin needs. So, you're doing well using a "wash" rather than a soap. Secondly, Kozy Kids Baby Wash & Shampoo is fabulous and for a lotion for eczema, the Body Series Nature Shower Hand & Body Lotion or the Hand & Body Lotion SPF 8 Moisturizing Formula are wonderful and safe for sensitive skin. My brother has been fighting with severe eczema on his feet, ankles, hands and neck for YEARS and this is the only lotion that works for him. You can find it at www.clsindustries.wwdb.biz and you can even print out an ingredient list of each product to take to your doctor if you want to. And there's a 100% satisfaction guarantee for 180 days (6 months), so you can't lose!

Best of luck to you.

answers from Denver on

I have found three similar products that have worked well for us.

1)Bag Balm
2)Corona (ask the pharmacist- no it's not the beer....LOL) 3)Purlan

I use the bag balm or corona if the skin is cracked or bleeding because they both have antiseptic in them. However, I usually prefer the Purlan(typically used during breastfeeding for cracked nipples). I buy the Purlan or Lanolin in the baby bottle isle next to the breastpumps and such or at Babys R Us. It is very thick so I have them put it on at night and then if it is hands or feet I put socks over them or even gauze. Purlan is safe to use around their mouths.

Also giving a bath with a few drops of oil in it I have found works.

Here is a link to the corona. You can usually buy it a drugstore like walgreens. Don't worry. It usually is used for animals, but works really well for us humans. The corona has lanolin in it as well. I didn't grow up on a ranch or around horses, but found it through a pharmacist.

http://www.horsestaples.com/firstaid01_antiseptics_cuthea...

Just scroll down the page and look on the right side for the bright yellow tube.

C.B.

answers from Phoenix on

Okay, there is this stuff on the market called Mederma which is primarily used for scars, but it works for a lot of skin issues. The key ingreadiants, however, are natural. The main one is onion, and, though it is hard to deal with the smell, rubbing a fresh-cut onion on your skin has great healing properties (it's great for even shingles). Second, aloe - just the actual aloe and not something WITH - helps to soften the skin and create a protective barrier to keep it from flaking. Last, a little bit of epsom salt in the baths allows all the redness related with scratching to fade while relaxing the child AND not being harmful if swallowed (it is used in big doses as a laxative, as well as a muscle relaxant for sprains and is a great soak for both mommy and baby - it's what most "fancy" bath salts are made of).

answers from Denver on

My 4 month old just recently had eczema on his legs, arms, scalp and face. I switched my baby wash and lotion and it cleared up after one week. I use Cetaphil to wash him with once a week and Aveeno Baby Cream twice a day. There is only some dry patches on his scalp that I need to deal with now. Hope you find something that works.

C.K.

answers from Denver on

K.-
My now 3 yr. old daughter had mild eczema as an infant and we found the Gentle Naturals baby eczema cream to be effective (and pleasant smelling, too!). My daughter's pediatrician even commented on how soft it made her skin...hope this helps!

C. K.

C.K.

answers from Santa Fe on

I am a Licensed Aesthetician so I know quite a bit about allergies from skincare products. My two year old has VERY sensitive skin. Make sure that when you buy a skincare product it is free of sodium lauryl sulfate, propylene glycol, DEA, Peg's, artificial colors and fragrances. There are others too. Most of the baby products out there have these chemicals in them and they are simply too harsh for kids. I have a list you can carry with you shopping and if you contact me personally I will be happy to direct you as to where you can go to print it out!

C.L.

answers from Albuquerque on

I don't remember what we used on my son when he was a baby. It was probably some kind of cortisone cream because it was only available through Rx. Arbonne baby care line, cleansing gel, hand cream, and skin reconditioning oil are the only things I can speak for. They worked great on my son and my friend's daughter. Sorry I don't have more to offer.

E.M.

answers from Phoenix on

my son had flare ups when he was little. I used Aveeno baby. It worked great.. My mother also has really bad eczema all over her body and when she came to visit used my Aveeno and loved it. so now she only uses the Aveeno and eucerine lotion hope that helps

S.C.

answers from Denver on

Hi K.-
My son gets big, red, dry patches on his cheek every winter and I use Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Moisture Cream on the patches. It works well and quickly. The cream contains natural oatmeal. It is about $4 a tube, could be worth a try.

H.M.

answers from Phoenix on

My 5 month old started to get it. We switched to Cetaphil Cleanser and lotion, but the Fry's generic kind...exactly the same. My ped said that most eczema is cause by a food or environmental allergy. We started to take out all forms of dairy from my diet (exclusively breastfeeding) and he's never had any more flare ups. Your daughter's eczema might not be the result of an allergy, or it very well could be. Could at least be worth a little bit of research to look into it. Just something to think about. Good luck!

L.R.

answers from Phoenix on

Hi! We just found out that my 6 year old son is allergic to cow's milk and he had a rash on his face that the dermatologist said was eczema. He prescribed a liquid antibiotic to apply to his face, but the side effects sounded worse than the rash! I took aloe vera straight from the plant and rubbed it on his rash and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and then put on a good coating of Aquaphor and it did wonders for him! Hope this info is helpful! L.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us