Do You Look Your Age?

Updated on February 25, 2013
K.B. asks from Chicago, IL

I am 43 (will be 44 in 2 weeks), but I could easily pass for 30. I have been mistaken for my 14 year old's older sister many times. My poor husband gets ribbed some time, but I know he secretly enjoys the fact that he has an attractive younger looking wife. LOL. I do feel fortunate and appreciate my good genes. Not so long ago, I went to dinner with a friend of mine (who is only 5 months older than me) and I was carded for my liquor order and she was not. The waiter went so far, as to ask, was she my MOTHER! I know I was shocked by the comment, but she was mortified. He did not get a tip!

Some people just look older than they are and honestly my dear friend does look much older than she is. Then again, as I remember it...even in grade school she looked much older than the other girls in class. It's nothing that she's doing or not doing, she just looks older. I want to grow old gracefully...at least that's what I say now. When the wrinkles set in I might change my mind. I've not yet gotten obsessed with the "magic" creams, serums and lotions. I guess that will come later in the future. For right now, I am ok with exfoliating and moisturizing. I don't have any wrinkles, but my skin gets dull looking sometimes and the exfoliation really helps bring it back to life. We will see how long that works for me. LOL. Who knows, I might be on the next infomercial for the latest "wrinkle away" cream. Those just crack me up. The things we try to stay looking younger.

So, how old are you? Do you look older or younger than your age?

• Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

So What Happened?

Ladies, I appreciate the honest answers and all replies. Truth is, we are all going to get old whether we like it or not! Be confident no matter what. We will all get wrinkle and have gray hair (all over). It will creep up when you least expect it and WHAM! There it is. Ride into it gracefully. And for those who make it there before the rest of us....save us a seat! For sure....we're coming. I'll be the one still claiming to look like I'm in my 30s. LOL!!'

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

S.H.

answers from Honolulu on

I have been told, that I look younger than my age.

Then, a friend's son once told his Mom "I wish Susan was my Mom..." and his Mom asked why. Then he said "because she's younger than you and is fun and pretty..."
Ooops! She is actually younger, than me!
She told me this.

M.W.

answers from San Francisco on

I am 37...I look like a teen mom.

I get some inquisitive looks when I am out with my 3 kids. My oldest is 13 and towers over my 5' 7" frame.

I chalk it up to genes..which I have not control over...exercise,lots of water,healthy diet...and being an overall happy and content lady.

But ooooh how I love the California sun. Sooo, ask me this question again in a decade because I will probably be a bronzed, wrinkly but happy content(older) lady.

Y.M.

answers from Iowa City on

I'm 30. I look younger. Most people in my family do not look their age.

I, for one, am terrible at guessing ages. I will look at someone who says she is often told she looks 35 and I'll think she looks 47. Then she gets angry...

B.F.

answers from Dallas on

I have found something that makes everyone look better! Humility.

L.M.

answers from New York on

I'm 35 but I look 80. :-)

M.P.

answers from Minneapolis on

Genetics, environment, health, and money. That's what keeps you looking young. Most people get dealt the raw deal every hand. Keep checkin that mirror just in case your card is up.

J.B.

answers from Boston on

ROFL really? Another one of those "how awesome am I?" posts disguised as a question...

Anyway...I'm 37 and think I look my age, maybe older. I had my first kid at 22 so most of my friends, who are the parents of his friends, are 10-15 years older than me because they were sensible enough to have careers and husbands and homes before having kids. I often get the "you're only [whatever age]?" response when meeting other people through my kids but I hope that's because most expect me to be in their age group and not because I look old but who knows? Maybe they think I'm their age because I look their age.

I have a few laugh lines and eye crinkles, few enough stray gray hairs that I can pull them out, and don't need glasses yet, which I think is typical of women my age. It'll all come in due time though.

I think that with skin creams, hair dye, contacts, and make up it's really hard to guage age. I have friends who went gray in their 20's (some who cover, some who don't bother anymore) but my husband's 93-year-old grandmother still dyes her hair auburn. Friends who have worn glasses forever, and friends who switched to whatever the bi-focal version of contacts are rather than buy reading glasses. And with enough money, anyone can buy her way to skin that looks 10 years younger. So honestly from about mid-thirties to mid-fifties, I have a really hard time guessing anyone's age with any degree of certainty.

☼.S.

answers from Los Angeles on

I'm 44 and look 14.

Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket! Bwaaaahaaahaaahaahaaa

V.S.

answers from Reading on

I know very few women who haven't been complimented in this way. And, as evidenced by all the responses here, most women believe it when they hear it. Not to burst your bubble, but just because you're told it doesn't mean it's the truth or that it's particularly meaningful. Coming on here to announce it is rather a sad display of hubris. In fact, I'm not really sure what the point of this post is, other than to brag. (And for the record, yes, I, like just about every other woman out there, have been told I look much younger than I am, by at least a decade or more. I am also 43 and get carded regularly. So no, I'm not feeling defensive -- just confused why anyone would write such a self-aggrandizing post).

G.H.

answers from Chicago on

Seriously, all this bragging and no photo

G.L.

answers from Salt Lake City on

I do look my age. I'm 45. I have mostly silver hair, smile wrinkles, stretch marks, scars from past adventures, soft edges, and my hour glass figure is slipping to the bottom. And I'm beautiful. I look like the story I have lived. If the "penalty" for that is that I don't look young, I'm okay with that. I wish more of the women around me felt the same way - too many miss their own beauty. There is so much more to us than our looks, and our society pressures us to spend way too much time and energy and money trying to look like we all stopped aging between 20 and 30. Personally, that was not my best decade - I was still trying to figure out who I was, I was too self-centered, I made stupid mistakes. I may not look as conventionally beautiful now as I did then, but I like who I am so much better.

Okay, I'll step down off my soapbox now. :-)

J.M.

answers from Philadelphia on

i wish everyone had photos in their profile because i find the answers to this question to be similar with "can you sing" a lot of people were told by nice people they can sing/look young and were greatly fooled.
My daughters friend asked where my mommy was a few weeks ago and said she thought i was a teenager. Then again her mom looks ancient so who knows what that means=)

i think a lot of it is in how we dress. I enjoy skinny jeans and a fitted shirt with the 10 dollar verison of chucks shoes, or leggings and a fitted dress with heels, give a whole diferent impression than when i'm in slacks and a baggier sweater

sometimes i get carded and then again sometimes i dont. i've been told i look too young sometimes but then again i'm sure the people that didnt card M. have sometimes thought the oppositte and were J. nice..thing is people ussually only say the nice side and those tht think we look old kept their thoughts of our age to themselves...so people are greatly misguided

C.W.

answers from Lynchburg on

**shrug**

I look my age I suspect...53.

I wish I had more grey hairs...I have earned them! I only have several strands around my temples.

I have always LOVED natural older faces...the story of their lives is engraved there! They are always more intriguing to me than younger faces. Younger faces sometimes remind me of an unfinished book.

I hope that I am blessed with a good long life.

I hope my face tells a story of more smiles than frowns.

I want more grey to perk up my mousy brown hair!

I do use oil of olay...always have...regular formula.

Best!
michele/cat

F.H.

answers from Phoenix on

I'm 45 and yes, I probably look 45 and I'm good with that. =)

S.Q.

answers from Bellingham on

Yes I do.

Well done on looking younger than me.

E.S.

answers from New York on

MartyMOMMA and Veronica P. I concur!

!!!!!

I just had an incident where a friend decided to tell me what her friends thought about my er, aging process.

Nice peeps right?

K.R.

answers from Little Rock on

Based on the responses so far, most people look 8-10 years younger than they really are - so maybe 30 is the new 40 and if you look 30 at 40 you look your age :).

Or maybe the majority of people that wanted to respond were ones that felt like sharing that they look younger... only a few brave souls wanted to claim that they *gasp* look their age!

In the end I have no idea how to answer this as I don't know what the "standard" from which to judge myself is for 40.5. People saying I just CAN'T be 40.5? I don't know many people that often say "wow, really? You are 40? I totally thought you were 50."

D.F.

answers from Boston on

I don't think I look my age until I look in the mirror....then i say uuugghhhh!!!!

M.L.

answers from Colorado Springs on

Older or younger than my age? Did you say LOOK or FEEL? :^)

I got away with looking younger for a while because of my oilier, not-so-prone-to-wrinkles skin. Then, as if by magic (it was by TIME, though), my skin started slurping up my water-based makeup, and I started the moisturizing-and-remoisturizing regimen.

Advertisements are not made to be believed. They're made to get you to want to buy on impulse. When you get to the point when you need the "magic" things, you'll find some non-magic solutions that will help keep your skin happy.

Hope that waiter learned a lesson. Being friendly is not the same as being familiar.

R.M.

answers from San Francisco on

Beenthere: :)

Wait till you're in your 50's. You won't look 30 any more, I promise. I may have shaved off a few years -- if not, I want my money back. Where's that darn surgeon?

J.S.

answers from Minneapolis on

I'm 40. I think that as we age, we continue to think we look young, because we feel young. YET when I see real young people (like 20 something) I know I do not look as young as them. But feel as young as I did in my 20's.

Also - sometimes I do see other Mom's who I find out are the same age as me (or younger even) and I wonder if I do look as old as them. I don't think I do... but maybe I just can't see it.

I'm in shape, try to dress decent, and have actually started wearing makeup for the first time in my life. I've also started coloring my hair, as in the last 12 months I've gotten a TON of gray...

Sometimes I'll see people interviewed on TV (like following Hurricane Sandy or other national event) and I find out how old they are and i KNOW I don't look as old as them...

I think we should just be happy if we look the way we want.

H.A.

answers from Burlington on

I'm routinely told I look much younger than my age. At first I was glad -- especially since around here a 47-year-old with a preschooler is assumed to be the grandmother -- but now I'm ashamed of myself for being pleased. What's so wrong with looking your age or older than your age? I find it insulting that we as a society put so much emphasis on looking young.

Okay, off my soapbox for the day!

N.G.

answers from Dallas on

I don't know. How does one judge whether you look your age or not? I mean, can you be 30 and look 29? I guess I look my age.

I will say, my husband looks like a 15-year-old, so he grew a goatee to look older because strangers kept referring to me as his mother. Rude.

J.K.

answers from Kalamazoo on

I know the rule for buying alcohol is they have to card you if you look under 30. I now get carded about 50% of the time. I am 32, so my guess is I probably look about the age I am. My mother is one of those people who is obsessed with looking young. She has had many plastic surgeries. She refuses to tell people her age or lies about it. I have always found her nonsense to be totally pathetic, and ridiculous. I dont mind at all looking my age, and have no interest in trying to look younger.

K.C.

answers from Philadelphia on

I'm 41. I've always looked about 35. When I was in my 20s, I could pass for 30s. Now that I'm in my 40s, I could *still* pass for 30s. I have no wrinkles...yet. I'm obsessive about skin care and use eye creams, serums, moisturizer with hyaluronic acid, etc. I've been doing this for years. My sister is 2 years younger than me. Same genes. She does NOT take care of her skin and has a number of wrinkles. But her face looks like a 12yr old, so she still looks younger than me. Beyotch!

L.U.

answers from Seattle on

I don't know what 35 is "supposed" to look like.
I like to think that I look my age.
It would be nice if the 30ish gray hairs I got sprouting up would go away though!
Personally, i think I look like I did when I was in high school. :)

S.B.

answers from Redding on

No. I don't look my age.

My husband was 10 years older than me. When he had knee surgery, I went to his room as they were bringing him back from recovery. I looked in and didn't see him and thought I had the wrong room. There was another family in there and the woman said, "It's okay, honey, come in, they just haven't brought your dad back yet".

I hate to admit it, but I got a giggle out of it.

I am proud to say that I turned 50 in December. People don't believe me. That's cool. I have a lot of grey hairs, but my hair is very light blonde hair so it just looks like highlights. I don't use any fancy creams or elixirs. I'll just let nature take it's course.

My daughter is 26. She is short and tiny. People see her with her baby and shake their heads. She looks like a teen mom. She was with us one day, and someone who has known me and my son for years but had never met her before thought she was 16. She hates it. One day, I'm sure, she'll appreciate looking 10 years younger.

I will say that it really chaps my sister's hide when people think I'm her little sister. I'm the older one. She gets mad. I just say it must be payback for all the years she tortured me when we were kids.

I think ALL women are beautiful and they should feel good about themselves and comfortable in their own skin. Lots of laughter and confidence are the keys to true beauty, in my opinion.

J.B.

answers from Houston on

Well right now I think I do, I m 36, and no one ever seems shocked. But I have some extra weight, so that ages you somewhat. But when I was at a healthy body weight, I was always thought to be young looking. My mother looks very young so after I get this dang weight off, the future looks good for me to stay youthful looking!

K.G.

answers from San Diego on

Not sure how to respond to your post cause someday's I feel I look younger or older than others. I will tell you that I'm a little disappointed that you don't have a profile picture up cause I should did wanna see for myself LOL.

A.L.

answers from Austin on

No, I've been told I look younger. Which was aggravating as a 20-something, to be offered a kids' menu. Yeah.

At 33, I still get carded for alcohol, but at least I haven't been carded to go to the movies in a couple of years.

The secret? Find two women with really great skin, and arrange for them to become your grandmothers.

And use sunscreen.

H.P.

answers from Houston on

I'll be 39 years old in about three weeks. I am often mistaken for about 25. My husband's friends think that I am 35, because he is a few years older than I, and they know that he didn't marry a teenager.

Lol, I look at the ads with women claiming that they are 40 but look 20, and I want to say to each of them, "No, sister, you look every bit of 40, just with smooth skin and a pretty smile. And it's okay."

I think that I look younger than some my age, but I do not think that I look younger than my age. I think that exactly how I look at whatever age is what that age looks like. That is, when I think about it at all.

C.W.

answers from Santa Barbara on

Oh my! I'm thinking I look pretty nice today, have a much younger boyfriend (I'm 46) but I am not delusional that I look 25. My teenage daughter is also a server in a restaurant.....she KNOWS the women are not 20 even though she has to ask for ID.

B..

answers from Dallas on

I'm 30. I'm routinely mistaken for a decade or more younger. It's fine, until someone asks if I'm my son's babysitter, or older sister. Ask me in 10 years, maybe it won't be so annoying then!!!!

My husband kind of hates it, because people think he is seriously robbing the cradle. We've been married for almost 8 years. He's like really, you think I married her when she was a teenager!!!!!!!!!!!!

L.L.

answers from Rochester on

I am 32. My hair has been going gray since I was 20, so I have a really big streak right down the middle of my head. It almost looks like an "on purpose" rather than aging.

On the contrary, I have never really worn makeup and a very "done up" (yet beautiful) teenager asked me the other day at church if I wore makeup. I said no, why? And she replied, "It looks like you do...your skin is so nice!" Huge compliment, I guess, since I was really feeling "aged" that week to begin with.

I dress like I'm a 15 year old tomboy...

...now I wonder how old people think I am. I'll have to ask around. ;)

X.O.

answers from Chicago on

I think I do, although 7 years ago when I got married my bridesmaids and I were at a Starbucks the day before my wedding. It was around lunch time, and the guy working at the corner said to us, "So, what, did you get out of school early today?"

My friend piped up, "Um, she's getting MARRIED tomorrow, and she TEACHES high school!"

Yeah, he felt stupid.

I am no longer mistaken for being a kid, but if I don't have my husband and kids with me, I do get carded when I ask for a drink at a restaurant.

H.G.

answers from Dallas on

Hello!!
I just turned 34 last month and I have been told my little brother and I look alike.... Umm no! He is my 16 yr old son (17 in sept). It weirds him out when people say that! I don't mind :) but I look at pics from a few years ago and it reminds me real quick I need to invest in some oil of olay!!

G.W.

answers from Dallas on

I turned the big 4-0 last July. I'm not really sure if people think I look younger than that but I do know women my age who definitely look older than me. I would not classify myself as vain at all but like a lot of women who are reaching mid life (yes 35-40 is midlife even though we like to say its 50+) those weird feelings about getting older start moving in and have to be dealt with. I got married when I was 18, my mother and mother-in-law were both 36 at the time. As I approached my 40th, I pulled out my wedding pics and looking at their pics was astonished at how old they both looked. I immediately asked my husband and later others to tell me if I looked like them at 40. Both women were life time (well, since teenagers) smokers, lived pretty hard and fast lives at times and had been married multiple times so I think all those things really brought on premature aging for them. Anyway, my husband and friends adamantly assured me that I look much younger at 40 than they did at 36 which helped me a little get through that big "old" birthday :-) I guess I don't feel as old as them because at 40 I have two seven year olds and a freshman where they were at their kids' wedding at 36.

R.K.

answers from Appleton on

I'm 58, look like I'm in my 40's. Very little grey hair or winkles.

Just the middle fluff I need to get rid of. But I wear a size 10-12.

P.K.

answers from New York on

I do not look 62 When I am out with grandsons, people will say something like "ask your Mom" and mt GS has to tell them that's not Mommy that is my YiaYia! Women age so much better then men!

C.N.

answers from Baton Rouge on

I'm 48 and when my hair has a fresh dye job, I sometimes get carded for liquor.

M.G.

answers from Seattle on

In recent years I've had people assume I am much older than I am due to the way I speak. (If I'm supposed to use the word talk, whoops, sorry but my English sucks and yes I'm a native speaker --- just goes to show you how poor the public system was that I attended.) When I was in my mid 20s people figured I was already past 30. I don't think I look old as I'm just now 30 but I've realized most people cannot judge another's age based upon appearance alone. I feel as though I look my age and I'm fine with that. I don't have gray hairs, nor any wrinkles as of yet, and my husband still finds me attractive but most importantly I find MYSELF to be attractive. Please, don't take that as a cocky statement but rather a statement of confidence. :D

J.G.

answers from Chicago on

No. Up until a few years ago, i got carded all the time --I'll be 41 soon. My hair is getting a lot more grey in it, but I still look young, and act younger than most of my friends that I have a decade on.

B.M.

answers from Chicago on

I will be 46 in 8 days, and my co-workers think I was 35.

T.S.

answers from Washington DC on

I am 31 (a couple of weeks shy of 32). To most people I do NOT look my age, but for me, THIS is what early 30s looks like! I teach middle school and it seems like I'm always meeting new parents for the first time. They ALWAYS want to tell me "Oh my goodness, you look so young! You look like a student." I always assure them that I've been teaching for almost a decade and I'm older than I look :) (btw, I don't look anything like a 12 year old... but maybe like a high school student when I'm dressed down on Friday's).

My mother looks very young for her age, so I'm probably headed for that kind of a ride long term. I plan to stay happy and active for a good long time, so hopefully my body will keep the slow aging pace of my face :)

M.M.

answers from Chicago on

Side ? - why wouldn't you tip a waiter - they make 1/2 of minimum wage - so don't tip them 20% and just tip 15%, but really - this is how they make their living!

C.M.

answers from Washington DC on

I am 32. Most people think I'm around 20ish. I kind of hate it actually. People ask me if I am my kids babysitter and when I tell them no they are mine, they gasp and say "where you a teen mom? there is no way you have an almost 8 year old!". I hate comments like that. It's so rude! I got married when I was 21 and had my daughter when I was 24 which is NOT young at all, lol!

T.M.

answers from Columbus on

I think we have a skewed idea of what "older" looks like. If 40 year olds are regularly being mistaken for being 20 something, then maybe that's simply what most 40 year olds look like.

D.H.

answers from Louisville on

Somedays ....

Last year, one of the drivers was moaning over being "old" on his upcoming b-day (I was wishing him well since the day fell on the weekend) -- I teased back about he wasn't that old, and asked how old he would be that he thought he was old .... he would be 49

I told him that wasn't old - sheesshhh!! Told him my b-day was the week following and I had him beat -- he looked at me really funny and said no way! Asked him how old did he think I was -- he said about 36! WOOT! Told him thanks as that would be the best b-day gift that year!!

(guess him seeing me w/my granddaughter that I'm raising threw him off!)

A.V.

answers from Washington DC on

I have a friend who looked 25 at 18 and still looks older than me. Some people just age differently. I don't think I look 35. I am younger than my DH so I think sometimes people just assume based on my behavior that I am older than I am. I have often been told I look like I'm still in my late 20s. When my stepkids were younger, there were a few occasions where people thought I was a HS student (I'm short, too). I don't think I dress too young, but when everyone is wearing jeans and a tshirt....

R.A.

answers from Boston on

I don't know, I think it's a compliment when my mom and I are out and people think we are sisters. My mom is 61. I am 35. I don't know if I look my age or not. I have a few wrinkles and a mess of grey hair.

E.B.

answers from Seattle on

I will be thirty in May.

Some say I look like I could still be in my late teens early twenties.

I beg to differ. At 28 I started getting more and more grey hair. Noticeable to me, that is for sure.

I dress like a teen on a day off from school. Sweats/workout pants....baggy stuff. So I could see where one would think I am maybe home from college for a long weekend.

I dont try to keep myself young. I am embracing older age and can not wait to hit the big 3 0. I think I am ready for the wisdom to sink in fully. I keep telling myself 30 has to be when it hits:)

S.G.

answers from Grand Forks on

My husband and I both get told we look at least ten years younger than we are. I was ID'd at the liquor store well into my 30's. We are 42 and 43. I have noticed visible signs of aging more since I hit 40, such as weight gain around my middle, grey hairs and lines around my eyes. My husband also had grey hairs coming in and when he grows a beard there is a lot of grey in it too. I make sure we don't dress like old people, and I try to take care of myself. I have friends from high school who look younger than me, but many look much older.

C.V.

answers from Columbia on

I do look younger than I am. I'm 33 and am often mistaken for mid-twenties.

A lot of it has to do with genetics. My mother was mistaken by her doctor for being in her 30's. She's 50.

I don't claim to have done anything to keep a youthful look. And I really don't care. Genetics combined with my health habits will result in...whatever. I stay out of the sun because it's bad for your skin, I don't smoke (gross and stinky), and I do use Olay moisturizer...because I don't like itchy winter skin. That's about it.

I will tell you this: While it's nice to look young, I wouldn't go back to my twenties for all the tea in China! I'm so much a better person than I was, praise God!

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us