Considering Another Job... When to Inform

Updated on November 10, 2009
K.P. asks from Pompano Beach, FL
5 answers

My husband and I decided several months ago to move back to Florida as soon as a job opportunity was available for me. My family is far more active and supportive than my husband's and we are in agreement that New York State is becoming way too expensive, especially when we anticipate private school tuition on top of school taxes.

I just got a phone call requesting a phone interview for a position. My supervisor has been a long-time mentor and is aware that I will eventually take another job, but this will come somewhat abruptly for her b/c I did not intend to leave mid-school year.

Here's the question, when should I tell her that I am considering another job? My interview is on Wednesday afternoon (school is closed that day). Should I wait until they offer a position or let her know that I am actively looking? I am a tenured psychologist, so that is not the concern.

1 mom found this helpful

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

So What Happened?

They did make an offer, but it was not an offer worth taking. I have spoken with my immediate supervisor about my intention to look for another job, but haven't mentioned the out-of-state part yet! Thanks again everyone!

More Answers



answers from New York on

Since you say your supervisor is aware that you will eventually take another job, it may not be a bad idea to say that you are looking at other positions at this time, as an FYI -- as long as you keep the mood positive.

"I love this job, but unfortunately living in NY is getting too expensive for us, and so my husband and I really have to start making plans to move out of state. So I just wanted to let you know that I am looking at other positions right now (in Fla or don't mention that if you don't want to)."

I think it will help to keep her updated as frequently as possible -- so the minute you get a position that you feel strongly will be "the one," you can tell her at that time and then quickly remind her that you will be available, even after you are gone, to "train" the new guy - and then you can leave behind your contact information the the new person to contact you and ask questions. Even if you are not that available to help out with "training", I think it's professional at least to offer some assistance, so your mentor does not feel excessively burdened with training a new employee.

As an addendum, I just read the other responses, but IMO, in your profession, I don't think this is the best way to go (I work in a similar field). I understand waiting until you get an offer, but you already know that you are leaving NY for sure, and pretty quickly, right (like in the next 6-8 months)? If that is true, then I see no need to wait until you get an offer, since you want to minimize an abrupt leave as much as possible. Especially if you are a child psychologist, that means you much have patients or some other form of continuity in patient care, and with chldren. You want to minimize any discomfort to both your employees and to your pediatric patients as much as possible, I think. So, two weeks notice is not enough time to make a successful transition, IMO. I left my first job -- actually, I too left NY to move to a cheaper location, and I told my employer of my plans a few months in advance, even before I interviewed, since I knew for sure we were leaving NY in the next 6-8 months, whether I was employed to not (my husband would support me) -- therefore, the office had time to transition patients to another physician and I was also able to tell some of my old patients good-bye.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from New York on

Personally I would wait to have an offer. Although if this person is somewhat of a friend, and you absolutly trust her, you can inform her that you are actively looking. I would just wait!!!



answers from New York on

wait for the offer in paper. not verbal. then you give two weeks notice. if you can give more, great, depending on the new job
good luck with your move. wish i were leaving expensive NY



answers from New York on

Hi K.,

I would wait until you receive another offer before informing your current employer. When you do give notice, give as much time as possible.



answers from New York on

As an HR professional, I'd say wait until you have an offer. What happens if you don't get an offer? You've stirred the pot for no reason. Good luck!

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions