Chemical Burn from Magic Eraser

Updated on August 08, 2010
S.M. asks from Saginaw, MI
15 answers

I had a reaction to a chemical a few days ago and got a horrible burn. I've been using magic erasers for years to remove hair color from my hairline. I accidentally bought the new kind that has bleach on it and my neck was on fire. I went to the pharmacy and he gave me this burn ease stuff which took the burning away. I've been using it for a few days. The burning sensation is gone. Now I have a itchy and oozing rash. Is it time to switch to something like a benedryl creme?

What can I do next?

  • Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

So What Happened?

I trimmed off my nape hair and within an hour it started healing. I think some of the chemicals were in the hair!

Featured Answers



answers from Lakeland on

If you can't get to a Dr. right away - I wouldn't put Benadryl on it - I'd put NEOSPORIN on it - it helps skin heal. I've never heard of using a "magic eraser" - are you talking about the "Mr. Clean magic eraser"? I think it says right on there not to use on skin. When I color my hair - I use witch hazel and cotton pads to get the hair color off my skin at my hairline and my ears right away while I'm waiting for the color to process. Good luck!

Edit My Answer
2 moms found this helpful

More Answers



answers from Gainesville on

I think it's time to see a doctor. Benedryl is for allergic reactions and what you've got is a burn. Have it evaluated so it can be treated properly to help prevent any infection.

4 moms found this helpful


answers from Phoenix on

I would go to your Dr or urgent care, you might need a run of anitbiotics so it doesnt get infected, they might also be able to give you some heavy duty cream to help.

3 moms found this helpful


answers from Houston on

I think it's time to see a doctor, in the future put Vaseline on your skin before you color.

3 moms found this helpful


answers from Redding on

I think you should go to the doctor. This doesn't sound good. Oozing is just not a good sign.
I've never heard of using a magic eraser, but my daughter went to cosmetology school and colors hair all the time. They use things to prevent the skin staining in the first place.
Burns aren't really anything to mess with because there are different kinds. Chemical burns are different than a stove burn. I would get checked out.

Find preventative measures for next time.

Good luck!

2 moms found this helpful


answers from Houston on

In the future, I recommend going to Sally's and getting a product they sell there that removes color from skin. :)

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Detroit on

You need to go to the doctor, as it could be infected.



answers from Seattle on

Go see your doctor! If it's oozing, it very well could be an infection. If not, the doc might be able to prescribe something for it or suggest an OTC product that will help. And quit doing that! I went with my friend once when she got her hair dyed and they put something on her hairline before they dyed it. Ask at a salon.
Good luck!



answers from Detroit on

Or call the dr for silver cream for the burn wow guess you won't use bleach one again. thanks I will keep your learnig lesson in mind. You should be able to take hair die off your skin with soap and water. I use that all the time.



answers from New York on

you should call the dr.. because bleach probably got into your body... you should call to make sure.. or call the makes of the magic eraser... and see what they say..



answers from Detroit on

They said on the news a year or so ago that magic eraser should never be used on the skin as it has chemicals in it.

I don't know what the pharmacy gave you, but you can use neosporin ... it is basically bacitracin (triple antibiotic ointment) with a pain reliever in it. It's over the counter, and generic is fine. If you go to the doctor, he might write for silvadene cream, which is prescription only and made for burns.

good luck!


answers from Dover on

I would use Dermacort(it is Melaleuca's version of a cortizone cream) if it itches or Melagel (their first aid cream). I would then switch to nontoxic household products so it doesn't happen again. Melaleuca has everything you need.

To learn more go to or send me a message.



answers from Grand Rapids on

Use glimpse...100%toxic free skin care line...natural healing agents. e-mail me if you want more info. [email protected]



answers from Miami on

Hi S. M,
So sorry for what you are going through. I agree with the below. Please go to a dr.

Just to give you some encouragement, I had chemical burns from a strong acne medication. It does heal and go away in time. Take care of it for now, and when is heals up. use vitamin e capsules at nite, and non chemical sunblock in the day.

Best of Luck.



answers from Detroit on

Get to Better Health or Whole Foods and find some aloe vera. Or go to a nursery and buy a potted aloe vera plant. It's soothing, it heals, and will do the job quickly. You've already used enough chemicals on your skin. Now it's time for non-chemical healing.

Next question: Help! Burned Leg and Don't Want Scar!!