Cats + Christmas Trees = Disaster??

Updated on December 02, 2008
D.F. asks from Crown Point, IN

Hello Moms
I have 2 cats that I can not keep out of our Christmas Trees! Last year we used the foil around the trees, but they got smart and did a 'running jump' over it to get into the trees. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks

• Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

answers from Chicago on

Unless you have hardwood floors, just nail the Christmas tree stand to the floor. It sounds weird, but there are holes in the bottom of the stand and my husband taught me this trick years ago. We've been nailing the tree to the floor (through carpeting) for 15 years now and never had a problem. The only thing we can't do is hang ornaments right on the bottom branches or the cats knock them off. Otherwise, if they try to climb the tree, it's not a big deal.

S.E.

answers from Chicago on

We do the same thing as Tonya. We have a spray bottle and are able to spray the cats even from across the room. They hate get sprayed.

N.P.

answers from Chicago on

I found a motion detector child's toy (this one is a tigger that pops up and talks when something goes in front of it) and put that at the base of the tree. A few times of that thing popping up and they have left the tree alone.

D.B.

answers from Chicago on

Squirt them with a water bottle every time you catch them...they hate it and should stop eventually if you're persistant!

T.M.

answers from Peoria on

this year we got a fake tree because my cat did the same thing, and now she wants nothin to do with the fake tree .but if you must have a real tree i suggest gettin a spray bottle and put water in it and spray your cats ever time they get in or near your tree that works but you have to be consitent

N.W.

answers from Chicago on

We balanced a box of pennies at the bottom of our tree. When the tree shook from the cat the pennies fell, scaring them. After a while they stopped. Mostly they just sit under the tree now pretending they are presents!

answers from Chicago on

I love the tip about nailing to the floor! When I was a kid my mom would wire the top of the tree to wires nailed into the ceiling moldings.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us