Can You Get a New Passport the Same Day with No Appointment?

Updated on July 26, 2015
K.V. asks from Mc Lean, VA
19 answers

Is it possible to get a new passport (not a replacement) the same day without an appointment? I need to get a new passport for my 2 year old, hence the question.

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Featured Answers



answers from Anchorage on

I paid a bunch of extra money just to get it in a week. If you live someplace with a large processing center it may be possible. I know to get my son's visa expedited I had to travel to Croydon in person and go to the consulate there. It took most of the day, and that was just for a stamp in the passport I already had for him so he could get back into the country.

2 moms found this helpful


answers from Miami on

I doubt it. Even paying more, I haven't been able to do that for a replacement, much less a new one.

1 mom found this helpful

More Answers



answers from New York on

Yes, you can get a passport in one day. I know, I've done it myself. A few things to keep in mind...

- You need to do it at one of the big processing centers in New York, DC, Philly, etc. You can find the processing centers online.
- You need to have all the paperwork ready, picture, printout of your ticket - everything has to be ready.
- Tell them you don't have an apointment, if you beat the rush almost 100% they will give you a number and process you.
- It will probably take at least 6-8 hours, so be ready to wait or bring somethign to do.

You can also call the phone number to make an appointment anytime as well:

But to answer the question, yes, 100% you can get a passport the same day without an appointment.

Still not convinced? Check this thread, many others have done it in one, single day.

3 moms found this helpful


answers from Atlanta on

Yes you can. You have to go to a passport issuing center (I think there are only 10-12 in the country). Have all paper work (both parents will have to go), pictures, proof of travel within the week, etc. and be prepared to wait ALL day. When I got mine, my husband had planned a surprise impromptu trip to Paris. He did this on a Monday, we were flying out Friday, so I received my passport same day at the agency in Philly (but I was there about 8 hours).

3 moms found this helpful


answers from Washington DC on


You can. However, there are rules.

1. If your husband, father of the child, will not be with you when you go to 676 19th Street NW, Washington, DC - You MUST have a signed form from your husband, and you MUST have his drivers license copy - the document that was used to notarize the Form DS-3053.

2. You MUST have your child with you.

3. You MUST have proof of travel. And it MUST be within 48 hours or the guards will turn you away.

You must have ALL paperwork with you.
Marriage License
Birth certificate
DS 3053 -
Application -
TWO passport pictures

Park in the George Washington Campus garage on 21st street & H - it's $22 for the day - and you will NEED IT. DO NOT PARK ON THE STREET!! There is NO street parking before 9:30. And even then it's 2 hour parking. If you "need" same day service - plan on being there at LEAST 8 hours.

We had a mistake on our form - this is why I know about this personally. The notary who "notarized" my husband's signature used the date "2014" instead of "2015" - so we had to get it fixed and the appointment time for the post office was going to be AFTER our travel...

If you are NOT traveling to Europe or The Middle East? You can get a passport card - which is good for Mexico and Canada. However...if your travel is eminent? they are NOT processed in DC - they are processed in Arizona...and you won't get it for 2 weeks.

You will be charged a $100 EXPEDITE FEE for this - they accept Visa, Mastercard, AMEX, cash and check. The cost of the passport $85. It will be $185 for your child's passport.

before you do this - find out the rules on where you are traveling to. They will ask you there as well. And if you aren't prepared? They WILL make you start all over again...

The passport office in DC is next to a book store, so you don't have to wait IN the office. However, no food or drinks are allowed in the passport office. They will allow bottle for children. There are TVs, however, they are stuck on CNN or news. So bring something for your child to do.

My son and I took a cab to the Jefferson Memorial and had lunch there. It was a long day. So glad we parked in GWU and was able to walk everywhere.

3 moms found this helpful


answers from Norfolk on

We replaced our sons passport (was about to expire), expedited it and got it back in about 2.5 weeks - which is a petty good turn around time.
The turn around time can vary a lot depending on if there are a lot of people getting passports at the same time.
We went to our towns county clerk on one of their walk in days (we got there early to be first in line) and it was no longer than 15 minutes to get in and out.
Have your pictures ready (we got them at a Wallgreens), have the forms filled out, since your child is a minor if both parents can't be there when you apply then you will need a notarized form from the parent that can't be there to give permission for child to get a passport, and bring your checkbook.

Maybe you can call this place and see if they can help you:

2 moms found this helpful


answers from Las Vegas on

I think it depends on your area. I know we can drive to California and pick one up but locally we are looking at a month or so. You are asking the wrong people.

2 moms found this helpful


answers from Washington DC on

Yes, but only if you have confirmed travel plans within the time window (7 days I think) that make it impossible for you to do the expedited mailed passport.

You have to go to a main center, but they aren't always in big cities, or even big offices. SO did it in Buffalo a couple of years ago.

You must have all the paperwork and photo done when you get there, and you will pay extra.

You wait about 4-8 hours after the appointment then come back and get the passport.

If you have a couple of weeks, you can just do a walk in passport appointment (find out what centers have these) and pay for expedited service.

When I did my son's this way, his passport (new) and mine (renewal) arrived about twelve days after the appointment without paying for expediting!

Oh, just so you don't waste your time, either way, to get a child's passport you must have ALL parents named on the birth certificate present OR certified (not a copy of) court documents supporting sole legal custody. Just don't take your son and show up at the office.

2 moms found this helpful


answers from Seattle on

Only under very dire circumstances and emergencies, such as a death in the family of an immediate family member, can you call and request an appointment. Even then those expedited passports take a full business week. (I know, we've had it done, but in Calgary where the US Consulate is quite small and loves to assist US Citizens).

In your large passport processing centers, you're totally out of luck.
If you can google around and locate a smaller processing center, you can decrease your wait time.

2 moms found this helpful


answers from Houston on

I'm a little confused to the question. Are you asking if you can receive the passport the same day? That would be NO.

It takes 4 to 6 weeks to get a passport. You have to turn in all your documents (certified birth certificate, picture, form, money). I think it is mandatory to have an appointment. I don't think you can just show up.

My daughter's boyfriend had his appointment Monday morning. It went very fast but he had to have the appointment.

2 moms found this helpful


answers from Washington DC on

Go here for information:
This is State's own web site and it says expedited passports take three weeks. That's the fast route, and costs extra. It does not promise any one-day passports. If you have a dire emergency and must travel (such as a death or impending death of a family member overseas or urgent medical need to reach a relative abroad) then you might get help at one of the centers Stephanie mentions. If your travel is imminent and you just didn't realize your toddler needs a passport, and you can show your tickets, you might get help.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Atlanta on

The only way I could imagine you could get a passport on the same day you apply would be if you were at an actual passport issuing center, and even then I doubt it would be possible. Most places are simply receiving the forms, documentation, and verifying that both parents agree to issuing the passport for the child. They then send those forms and documentation to the center which checks that everything is legit and then sends back the passport as well as the documentation. As Mynew said, that process takes at least a month. Oh, and you will probably need an appointment for the Passport office anyway.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Houston on

I did. But I had to go to Houston and wait many hours and pay a lot more. You have to go to a main processing center. I'm not sure about your state, but in tx it is possible

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Rochester on

In addition to the passport, some countries also require a visa. Those also can take weeks to get and you cannot get them the same day because you are dealing with the government of another country. Be sure to check on the requirements for the country you will be traveling to. When I went to Tanzania we had to wait about 6 weeks for the visa. When I went to Honduras we didn't need a visa at all. Every country is different.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Boston on

Of course not. It has to go through the State Department. It wouldn't be worth much if you could get one immediately with no checking!

You can go in and apply and get the photos taken (or provide your own if they meet standards which are very precise). Many photo places in major stores take passport photos.

In certain cases with very pressing circumstances, not just because someone didn't get around to applying, your congressional representatives office can sometimes help expedite it.

I can't imagine why you would need one immediately. Most people don't plan overnight international trips unless there is an emergency, such as a death of a relative who is traveling overseas.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Pittsburgh on

Not that I'm aware of. We had an appointment for 2 renewals and 1 new one about a month ago and they aren't in yet - not even the renewals are back.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from San Francisco on

Yes you can. We did it.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Washington DC on

passports have to be issued by the state department, and they are subject to background checks and review processes. i don't know anyone who's received one in a day, no matter the circumstances.
the state department screwed ours up ridiculously (under the dark days of condoleeza rice's reign) and even with our state senator intervening and getting us an 'appointment' we were in dire danger of losing out on our vacation. we had applied 6 months in advance of it.
i'd be shocked if this were remotely possible. please let us know how it works out.



answers from Orlando on

I think you would have to go to your nearest consulate and there are only a handful in the entire country. For us, we would have to go to Miami and I am not sure it is same day, but it is the fastest way. I had a friend that needed theirs for a trip to Canada and they drove to Miami to get it as they were short on time.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions