Can I Deduct Childcare in This Scenario????

Updated on March 12, 2012
C.C. asks from Crown Point, IN
15 answers

In 2010 our daycare provider provided us with the necessary stuff so that we could deduct childcare expenses on our tax return. Both kids continued to go to this woman until July of 2011 in which everyone was told she was no longer having the daycare from her home. She has not given us any sort of statement for what we paid from Jan - July 2010 and left no forwarding address and has not responded to letters. Can we still deduct the amount we paid her (which is huge is you all know who put your kids in daycare) or are we SOL????

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Featured Answers


answers from Dallas on

If you have her social, you can calculate what you paid until July and list that. All you need really is her social. You can put her last known address.

1 mom found this helpful

More Answers



answers from Portland on

I'd certainly try to deduct it. You still have her tax id from before. I suggest the worst that could happen is the IRS asks for documentation. Hopefully you paid by check or have some other way to show that you paid.

4 moms found this helpful


answers from Minneapolis on

I would claim it. I'm hoping you didn't pay in cash if you didn't get a receipt in return. If you paid via check, then pull copies of all of those and use last years info. I'm assuming she has some kind of pin number or a social security number you used to claim her as a payee in 2010. I'm not a professional, though, but that's what I would do. Someone else might have more information as to what's allowed.

3 moms found this helpful


answers from Houston on

I am not an expert...but do you have her taxpayer ID? This might get you some infomation from the IRS as to what to do.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Boston on

Absolutely deduct it. You just need her ID number from the prior year. Gather your records and document your attempts to reach her in case this comes back to you but that's probably not likely.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Rockford on

You don't need a statement, just her id or soc. I have done home daycare for over 9 yrs and while I do provide statements each year, some parents lose it and end up having me text them the info as they sit at the acct. office. You would need an address, not sure if her previous one will'd have to ask your acct. about that.

I'm sure there's a way, though!



answers from Chicago on

I do home daycare and I always make sure my Amount and my families amounts they are claiming match so that there is no trouble. There would only be trouble if your amount you are claiming does not match the amount she is claiming. I think the one to get in trouble would be her--especially if she does not claim the income. I would do it and see what happens! Just be sure to claim the correct amount that you have proof of paying her!



answers from Minneapolis on

Daycare providers are NOT required to give parents any sort of information. It is technically not our responsibility to make sure parents have the information. They should be tracking the information themselves thru check stubs or any reciepts given thru the year. Technically.

And you are not stuck without the deduction if a provider decides to not provide (for whatever reason) you with what their records reflect. They do not hold that power.

Most providers, however, want parents to claim the same amount as the provider is doing, so will offer some sort of year end statment, w-10 form, etc. Personally, I do not make a big effort to hunt down former clients. If they left my care in the first parts of the year and do not contact me via phone call or text or email, asking for one come tax time, then I do not bother. I have only had this happen once in the last bunch of years. Prior to that I DID mail out (to the last know address I had on file) a w-10 with the year total...a few returned undeliverable. Oh well, I tried.

So gather your records and create a true year end amount. You should have the SS# or Tax ID (whichever she used), from 2010 filing when she did give you the info. Easy peasy and you have everything set. As long as your records are accurate and you can prove it (should there be an issue down the road...not likely but could IS the IRS after all), you are good to go.



answers from Oklahoma City on

Yes. If you paid cash to her then you can submit the approximate amount and let the CPA or tax person decide on it. If you didn't pay cash then you have receipts and other information.

Also, if she didn't claim the money it does not matter, she is responsible for her own business, not you. You are responsible for your own part. That is why even paying someone to come to your home to baby sit your children may be deductible too. If it adds enough to the amount to matter I would write it all down on a piece of paper with the times and date to the best of my knowledge and show it to the tax person and let them decide if it makes enough difference to claim it.



answers from Columbia on

Yes, you can deduct.

Please contact an accountant for a full and complete discussion.


answers from St. Louis on

Since you have all their information from 2010 use that as a guide to deduct what you paid in 2011.



answers from New York on

You cannot deduct without a statement.



answers from Seattle on

All you need is a copy of your receipts/bills and her tax id number (which you should have from last year).
I would always insist on a written/typed bill or receipt just for this purpose. Any daycare provider that does not want to give you a bill/receipt in writing is shady IMO.
Good luck.



answers from San Francisco on

Absolutely take the deduction! As long as you really paid and you have cancelled checks/receipts, absolutely take the deduction. You should be able to get her Tax ID number from your 2010 tax returns.



answers from St. Louis on

Did you get reciepts or have cancelled checks? If so, then yes, just base it off the amounts that you have recorded. Get her tax ID number from that document. Take the deduction! Daycare is soooo expensive!

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions