C-section Area Still Numb?

Updated on January 30, 2013
M.F. asks from Albany, CA

Ok, so I had my daughter over 7 years ago, she turned 7 this past October, and my lower abdomen above the incision sight is still numb.
When I touch it it reminds me of how it felt after getting a tooth pulled or filled and then touching my lips or my cheek.
I can scratch the area with my finger nails and not feel anything more than distant, slight, little, pressure.
And barely even that.

Is this something I should just figure is going to be around for the rest of my life, or is there a chance that the sensation in that part of my body will return someday?

Anyone out there loose sensation after a c-section for a LONG time and then have it come back?
Not overly concerned, just curious. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

Thanks for your help in advance :)

• Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

So What Happened?

.

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

D.C.

answers from Pittsburgh on

Yes, I know someone who says the same thing, and her child is 11 now. They probably cut a nerve when they went in, and nerves don't regenerate.

R.D.

answers from New York on

Yep, totally normal! My c-sections were 2 and 7 years ago. Still can't feel around it. Luckily I will never do that again so I will take the numbness :)

K.C.

answers from Los Angeles on

That is common. I don't think the sensation ever comes back 100%.

P.K.

answers from New York on

Normal. Probably will never come back. Had a kidney out and my right side from the waist down to thigh is numb and was told always will be. Abdominal,scars from previous surgeries still numb. Just they way it is and these are 25 years old.

A.L.

answers from Las Vegas on

Hi
I had mine over 10 years ago and since have never gained complete nerve sensation in that area. I just don't think it will be coming back at this rate. It's not bothersome but just kinda strange ... It's what I think about when on rare occasions, I think.. oh maybe when a bit older, I 'll get plastic surgery.. then I think of how just my lower abdomen is numb.. imagine if they mess up the whole face... anyway.. I guess it's par for the course when it comes to a c-section..

K.G.

answers from San Diego on

My youngest is almost 7 and when I was getting my staples out I asked the nurse if I would ever get the feeling back and she said some people get it back within a year (It probably was almost a year before I got it back) and some never do.

G.B.

answers from Oklahoma City on

No, nerves do not grow back together and go back to normal. I had my leg surgery in 1985 and still have numb spots around the incision.

M.D.

answers from Washington DC on

Yep. My c-sections were almost 6 and 8 years ago, still numb around the area.

C.W.

answers from Santa Barbara on

I have never had a c-section but have had two spinal fusions with anterior approach (bikini and abdomen). They are still numb 5-7 years later. I think it's pretty normal.

S.H.

answers from Honolulu on

My kids are 6 and 10.
I had c-sections with both of them.
My incision area is not numb, anymore.
I was sutured and then steri-strips on top, externally.
Don't know if that makes a difference.

A.M.

answers from New York on

My son with be 3 in April. I have the same thing just above my c-section scar. I am thinking we won't get that sensation back. :-/ oh well! :)

E.T.

answers from Albuquerque on

Same here. My girls are almost six and the entire top of my C-section scar is still numb.

A.T.

answers from New York on

90% of the time you will get feeling back...however how long that will take depends greatly on your body. If I remember correctly the nerves in your skin can grow something like 1/8 in per week. You won't have feeling back until these start to re-attach themselves together. This will usually take around 1 year. I got feeling back after my first 2 sections right around 11-12 months. Also, if you had a horizontal incision (bikini cut) it is completely normal to have feeling above the incision line (between belly button and scar) and not below it (in pubic region.)

M.H.

answers from Chicago on

I was numb until I had my second daughter.. now my feeling is back.

M.B.

answers from Tampa on

Well I'm almost 30 (YIKES) and my mom still hasn't got feeling back!! LOL mines the same way, I've had 2 c sections.

☆.A.

answers from Pittsburgh on

Well, if its like the thumb that I sliced open 25 years ago that required stitches, it might be like that for a looooong time!
(I didn't have a C section, just sharing MY loss of sensation story!)