Best Way to Clean Kitchen Tile Grout

Updated on January 17, 2011
R. asks from Palmetto, FL

What is the best way to clean kitchen tile grout. Mine is looking dirty and mopping does nothing to the grout of course. Is there a product that works best?? Thanks!

• Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

So What Happened?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I wasn't able to try everything of course but tried a few and the one that worked the best was good old bleach. I bought this little handy sonic scrubber from publix (kinda like a big electric toothbrush) and it helped so I wasn't having to use quite as much elbow grease. My grout is a light to white color so bleach was o.k. to use for me. Baking soda worked pretty well too. Thanks again.

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

S.N.

answers from Oklahoma City on

Magic Eraser...lots of work, but it works great!!!!

B.R.

answers from Tampa on

You can get TileLab grout cleaner @ HD or Lowe's - just spray it on, use a brush (toothbrush is perfect), & wipe with a clean, wet cloth. It's tedious, but it looks fantastic when you're done!

A.C.

answers from Miami on

I think Swiffer Wetjet are great for a everyday fast clean. But I think that for really clean the tile is nothing better than the old style scrub. I like to use small but hard floor scrubber, Clorox for floors, then mope with a very damp mop twice and dry with an old towel.
Just mantaine by cleaning with your wetjet and repet the scrub everyweek if possible. Hope this help

M.C.

answers from Tampa on

I used to have wall to wall tile with white grout. It was a challenge to keep clean. The best product that I found for the grout was Zep grout cleaner (I've only found this brand at Home Depot). I scrubbed the grout with a toothbrush and then rinsed it with a cloth on my hands and knees. It took hours to complete for each room.

K.B.

answers from Tampa on

The best tool I have found is a steam cleaner with a grout attachment. It is a bit tedious but once you get it clean you can keep it clean with regular floor cleaning and only do the steam cleaner once or twice a year. It really works great, but you have to get a good steam cleaner or hire someone to do it the first time.

S.D.

answers from Sarasota on

You can also purchase cleaning brushes that are about the size of a toothbrush only stronger. I bought some at Target in the car detailing section that work great.

B.S.

answers from Tampa on

Get a grout brush (Lowes), put some water in a glass measuring cup and nuke it till it boils, grab an old rag and sit on the floor, and dip, scrub, dry, repeat. My house is tile and it took me about 5 hours total split up. You can pay someone $$$$$$ or use good ole fashion elbow grease. Do it when the kids are in bed. It'a also therapeutic!

A.G.

answers from Punta Gorda on

I used to use Clorox Gel. I would put it on in the morning when I had errands to run and my dog would be in the krate in a different room. I would let it set for a few hours and hot mop it when I got home. I would just line the gel along the grout. Good Luck

H.L.

answers from Tampa on

I painted mine. Home Depot has tile grout paint. Its pretty time consuming, but cleaning it just never cut it so I opted to paint it a lighter color and it looks much better.

C.D.

answers from Fort Myers on

This was a bit time consuming, but it did the job. I mixed borax with little water so it clumped together a bit, and took a tile/grout brush, (it looks like a big toothbrush with hard black bristles) dipped the bristles in the borax and scrubbed the grout. Fortunatley we don't have too much grout, so it wasn't that bad. After a little while, I grabbed one of my toddlers chairs to sit on while scrubbing so I wasn't straining my back and hurting my knees. I also used a wet cloth to wipe up what I just scrubbed...then I washed my floors.

This is the only thing I hate about having tile. Good luck!

D.F.

answers from Tampa on

I have tried so many things, but I have found the Greased Lightening will clean the grout. I spray a section at a time and brush it with an old toothbrush and then wipe it clean with a rag. This has worked better for me than things I have bought at Home Depot that was supposed to clean grout. Good Luck and if you find anything better let me know.

A.C.

answers from Sarasota on

vinegar and a toothbrush!

K.T.

answers from Tampa on

Once you get your grout clean remember you have to reseal it. This helps keep it clean.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us