Autism, ADD, ADHD

Updated on December 23, 2006
C.H. asks from Lincoln, NE
12 answers

I have been trying for over 1 year to have my son tested for Autism, ADD & Autism. They run on both sides of the family. I've almost literally been thru all the doctors in my son's pediatrician's office's. I'm NOT saying he has any of them. I would like to have him tested. He shows characteristics of ADHD, ADD & Autism. What should I do?

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

So What Happened?

I am planning on trying to talk to the school again about having him tested for Autism, ADD & ADHD. Hopefully this time they'll follow thru. Here's the health problems both familys have.

His dad's side:
* a form of Muscular Dystrophy
* cancer
* & more

My side of the family:
* diabetes
* asthma
* & more (?)

Hopefully I will be able to get him tested this time. So I can put my mind at ease. And so IF he does actually have any / some / all of those. Hopefully we can get it nipped in the behind. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Featured Answers



answers from Sioux Falls on

Here in IA we have something called AEA. My son was referred by his preschool. He went there for some testing (free) and showed some signs of autism. AEA referred us to a diagnostic pediatrician who diagnosed him with high-functioning autism. If it wasn't for AEA, I would have had no idea how to proceed. They've been wonderful, and held my hand through the entire thing. Isaac is attending the AEA preschool for his second year now, and I've seen huge improvements. I think you're from Nebraska? Perhaps they also have a state agency similar to this. Good luck!

1 mom found this helpful

More Answers



answers from Boise on

Find someone who will test him!!! It is very important that you know either way -- your sons future depends on you finding that out for him.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Sioux City on

I'm not sure where you live, but i would check into a mental health center of some sort. Ask people in your town or call the doctors office and ask them who they would recommend. If you feel so strongly about this, i guess i wonder why your pediatrition isn't taking you seriously? I would maybe recommend talking to your family doctor. Is your son having problems in school? cause this is a main factor of adhd and so on.. good luck hope this was helpful.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Waterloo on

Hi C.!

What do the Doctors in your Ped' office say? If they are blowing you off, you definitely need to change Drs! Doctors that think they know all, and won't admit that they don't, really tork me off. If they aren't sure, they should be the ones finding someone to test your son. Unfortunately, autism is a lot more prevelant these days than it used to be, and the chances of a child having autism is 1 in 166. A doctor of mental health would be able to test him for adhd, and add. Google "autism specialists in " " ". (whatever your state is, and this should give you a place to start. A mother's instincts are far more reliable than some doctors, so don't stop til you get the answers that you need. God Bless and please let me know if I can do anything!

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Des Moines on

I would ask your school. the AEA for the des moines area deals with a lot of that.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Cheyenne on

I know we've all heard bad things about MySpace, but they have several WONDERFUL message boards (Groups, they call them) about Autism and related disorders. I believe the one with the most members is called "I love someone with Autism", something like that. The people there are life-savers. There are so many members that you get answers almost immediately. There is very little negative, and if it does get posted, it is deleted right away. No spamming allowed, it is also deleted. I can't say enough about these people. I have made so many friends there, who I will probably be in contact with for the rest of my life. My son was just diagnosed with Pervasive Development Disorder/Aspergers.

After you sign up on MySpace, just click on "Groups" and you can search by keyword. I used keyword "Autism". Let me know if you need help.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Billings on

Apply for S.S.I. Disability and tell them that those three reasons are why you think he's disabled and they will Definitley test him that is what I am doing It works. Good luck

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Omaha on

My son was recently tested for autism and the school did it. They sent paperwork home for me to answer and gave the teacher paperwork as well. The school psychologist also took him aside and tested him in various situations as well. My doctor mentioned that if I did not like the school's answer I could have him medically tested as well. (They would refer me to someone.) He was already in special needs for being developmentally delayed so at his IEP, basically a meeting with tons of people to discuss goals, I brought it up. They found that he did show some signs but he is not severe enough to be classified as such. They will work on those symptoms though and I found some great help on the internet!

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Iowa City on

You could always take him to a psychologist, who specializes in children behavior. They will put him through many evaluations and would be able to tell you if he has any of these problems. They study the brain and how it works. They do not take kids away and put them in homes anymore if they find that they have any of these health problems. They will help you and your child and give them alot of guidance.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Missoula on

Because your son is over 3 the school has a responsiblity to test him for you. You shouldn't have to private pay to have it done - it's the schools responsibility. You could also check with your local child development center or some assistance and direction. Good luck.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Davenport on

As a parent with ADHD, wife of a husband with ADHD, mother of children who will probably have it, and Aunt to a boy with Autism I suggest bypassing the Pediatricians and going to a specalist. You have to do what needs to be done, ans as great as Pediatricians are, they are not specalists in fields such as these. Only a specalist has had the training to diagnose these types of behaviors, and only they can tell you for sure yes or no.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Des Moines on

Hi C.,
I was just wondering if you had talk to anyone at your sons school about your concerns. Sometimes they will do testing if there seems to be a reason for concern.
I wish you the best,

1 mom found this helpful
For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions

Related Searches