Anyone Have Age Spots Removed?

Updated on July 21, 2009
A.B. asks from Sioux City, IA
5 answers

I am only 38 but just last summer and this year I have had a lot of B. spots show up on my face. I know they are from sun damage in my teens. Has anyone had these removed? I have no idea how it's done and just looking for some advice. I've heard Retin-A creams can work? I've alos heard about freezing them off or lasers? How much does this stuff cost? Any info is appreciated!

1 mom found this helpful

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers



answers from Chicago on

There are a couple different "B. spots" that you can have on your skin. Have you seen a dermatologist? There are the slightly, raised kind, called actinic Keratosis, which are pre-Cancerous (doesn't mean they will necessarily turn into Cancer, just means that you need to be vigilant of any changes) and there are the darker B. spots, (beauty marks) which are actually a kind of mole. If there are any changes, they have to be surgically removed.

Actinic Keratosis can be frozen off, in a dermatologist's office. Your insurance company may cover any procedures that could be considered "pre-Cancerous". This procedure is pretty painless and those that are frozen, will eventually scab off, in less than two weeks. Lasers can be used for sun damage or other marks that you would like to rid on your body, however, you have to check with insurance to see if it is covered. A lot of this kind of work is considered "cosmetic".

There is a prescription that a dermatologist can give you, called Tazorac cream. It is basically a slow acting acid peel and, a lot of times it is used for acne patients. It can really do a good job with correcting other imperfections on your face, for a minimal amount of money. It's applied over the course of 12 weeks - every other day for a few weeks; then daily for the remainder of the 12 weeks. Starting this at the end of summer or during winter is preferable because you need to stay out of the sun.

Any kind of treatment that you choose, I would wait until the end of summer to start. Some times it takes a while to get into a dermatologist so, if you don't have one, now is a good time to find a good one and make an appointment for September.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Chicago on

Fade creams can work, but wait until winter. In the summer, you tend to tan even if you use sunscreens and such mainly because you are outside more. Fade creams can make you face look splotchy or much paler than the rest of you. Also, no acne medications while using since you can have a reaction. I found that using Clearasil and going out in the sun caused light spots on my face. I think I used something with Retin-A by ROC and it helped a bit. Though I also use Oil of Olay with sunscreen so that might have done it. Either way the spots are barely noticable without makeup now.
There are laser treatments but you have to really check out the place you get them done. It can be expensive and take multiple treatments. A friend went to a place to have hair lasered off and she got burned. Now she has spots on her legs that may not go away. So you might want to try a cream first.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Chicago on

I had 4 spots frozen off my face about 4 months ago. It cost $100 plus $50 for the lightening cream you apply for a month.

The spots get red, and then get a scab on them. Once the scab falls off, the spot is gone, then you appy the lightening cream for a month.

I had this one B. spot that I had since I was in my 20's, so 20 years ago. It had gotten bigger, and I hated it. I was going to do the laser, but my derm suggested freezing them.

I will probably go back and get some of the smaller ones done, and maybe 1-2 on my hands.


answers from Chicago on

I agree, see a dermatologist first to see if they are cancerous. If not, it may be a costly procedure and one that may not guarantee no scars left either.

There is a new natural and botanical product for age and B. spots that lighten them. No invasiveness, ugly scabbing, etc. A line of intensive botanically based skin lighteners.

I can show you some pics of people who had used this and their results. It may be a little slower than surgery but no side effects and completely natural plus 100% guaranteed! Insurance may not pay for these producedures either since they may be deemed as "cosmetic".

If you would like more information and testimonials, please feel free to contact me. I would be happy to help you out. Just give me your email address. Hoping you're using makeup with SPF now and a good sun screen too! So important to keeping the signs of aging at bay. Good luck!

Wellness Consultant



answers from Chicago on

Here are your exact options:
1) Have them frozen off. Insurance doesn't cover it. Done at a derm's office. Best and longest lasting option.
2) Use retin-a and/or hydroquinone. Both can be purchased over the counter but most effective when by perscription. Retin-a speeds up the cell turn over of the skin and hydroquinone is a skin bleaching agent but is a known carcinogen (US is one of the few countries left where it's still not banned for use).
3) Have IPL (intense pulse light) or fraxel laser services performed. Both very costly, also not covered by insurance. Derm may do both but also done by plastic surgeons, depending on office. Fraxel is most effective and painful, IPL's results are short lived. IPL is also referred to as a FotoFacial.
4) It's most likely (like 100% likely) they're not cancerous. Unless they are raised and irregular looking. Still have your derm look at them beforehand to confirm. Flat B. spots under the skin, or large freckles, are from age, the sun and hormones.
5) Do not do any of these things until you will be out of the sun for a long period of time, like many months. Best done in the fall and winter months, including the topical products.

Out of all that, your very best option is to get a perscription for Retin-A, see a derm and use the freezing process for whatever you can. You will have the best result the fastest.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions

Related Searches