I recently decided to try to lose the 50 extra pounds I'm carrying around as well. In 7 weeks, I've gone from 204 to 188 and lost over 20 3/4 inches from my body. I've gone from size 18 pants to 14. You can do it too. It will require a complete lifestyle change, and its easier if you get your daughter in on it. Here's what I've been doing.
1. Stop buying anything with sugar, -ose, corn syrup, etc... in the 1st 4 ingrediants. This is very hard, so once you find something you like, make sure you jot it down. Hardest things to find: cereal and bread. I think bread is the only thing I buy that breaks this rule.
2. Don't buy bread with any type of enriched flour; only whole grain.
3. Snack. When you are hungry, snack!
3 100 calorie snacks
300 calorie breakfast
400 calorie lunch
500 calorie dinner
I don't count calories, but just look at the label to see if you are sticking to approximately that.
4. Don't drink anything but water and milk! Why drink your calories when you can eat them?!
5. If you want raisins on your cereal, add them yourself because raisin cereals are covered in sugar.
6. Keep artifical sweetners to a low. They make your body think you are hungry.
7. Try all natural peanut butter. Its high in protein and has no added oils or sugars. Store it in your refrigerator.
8, Dinner usually looks like this:
1 serving of meat, veggies (no butter), potato/rice/couscous/some kind of grain
9. If you go out to eat, only eat 1/2 of the food that they bring you. Ask for it to not be cooked in butter. If they have a salad bar, load up on salad. If not, ask for the dressing on the side. Dip your fork into the dressing and then the salad. You'll use less dressing that way.
10. Swap ice cream for 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt.
11. 1/2 cantoloupe = 1 banana = 10 M&M's = 1/3 a doughnut = 1/3 a bagel (with nothing on it) = 1/2 cup frozen yogurt = 100 calories
12. Try sugar free popsicles
13. One day a week, eat something decadent, that you've really been craving, but not too much
14. Park at the back of the parking lot
15. Walk to the store
16. Get your friends to do it with you!
17. Make plain oatmeal for breakfast. If you want it flavored, add cinnamon and No Sugar Added Applesauce or smashed bananas or another fruit.
As far as exercising goes, don't join a gym. Its the biggest waste of money, at least that has been my experience. They say if you're going to workout, do it in the morning because you'll have less likelihood to skip your workout. I bought a set of workout videos (and light weights) called the Firm. They are GREAT! There are 4 different videos so that you don't get too bored and 3 of them come with an express video for days when you don't have a lot of time.
Another suggestion, since you want your daughter to do it as well, buy a Wii and a Wii fit. We are going to get one, but haven't gotten to the store yet. Its a video game that will track your progress.
And, don't forget, just because you start working out and miss a few days or a week, don't stop. Just jump right back on that horse.
BEST OF LUCK!