Ab Separation One Year After Baby?

Updated on June 09, 2011
L.D. asks from Phoenix, AZ
4 answers

Hi moms! I'm assuming it's quite normal for the abdominals to separate somewhat after pregnancy, but I thought they were supposed to go back together on their own? I have two daughters - 2 1/2 and 1 year old. I am an avid work out guru and after continuous efforts to try and repair my abs on my own, they seem to have gotten a bit worse. I can feel the two finger separation around the belly button area. I also have a small protrusion which could maybe be a hyrnia? I have an appointment with my doctor but thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone experienced anything similar, and what the outcome was. Is surgery the only option? Thanks!

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

More Answers


answers from Medford on

I have a "two finger" seperation in my abs and my kids are 6 and 4. Once they seperate so far, they don't go back together without surgery...

That being said, there are lots of exercises that you can do to minimize the issue. Try search Workouts to correct diastasis recti (or seperated Abs). Its all about building Core strength. Doing traditional crunches can actually make the issue worse!



answers from Honolulu on

No they don't go back together on their own.

Look up: "Diastasis."
This is what it is called.

I got that, from both my pregnancies. Still have it.

One thing is: Do not do stomach "crunches." This makes it worse. You need to do instead, stomach exercises that work the Obliques. Crossing your elbow, to the opposite knee, for example.

Per Hernia: you have to see a Specialist to assess that. There are MANY different types, of Hernias.
Many different types.
Some need to be corrected by surgery. Some wait. But, any Hernia, can "strangulate." Look it up.
BUT, see a Specialist.
My daughter had what is called an "Inguinal Hernia" for example. Corrected by surgery.



answers from Phoenix on

I have the same problem after birth of my 3rd, 16 mos. ago. I went to doc a few months ago , b/c I was having burning pain associated w/ the defect. He told me if the pain became unbearable to consult a surgeon but I have yet to do so. It really bothers me b/c I have been consistently working out and as I have lost some weight, there are days that the defect protrudes more & I look 5 mos. prego.


answers from Raleigh on

It's probably diastasis recti. You can do exercises to strengthen your core, but the only way to ever 100% correct the problem is to have plastic surgery. You can see a PT to give you some oblique exercises that are safe, but unfortunately (I have it to, so I feel your pain), the only thing to do is get it taken care of surgically.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions