6 Year Old - Blood Test Results

Updated on March 17, 2014
N.W. asks from Youngstown, OH
4 answers

My son recently had a blood test which showed, among other things, a BUN/Creatinine ratio of 41.3 (range is 6-22). This is almost exactly consistent with past results. The Dr. always says he's a bit dehydrated, but we are very mindful of drinking liquid, especially water, throughout the day. He was especially mindful of it before this past test, so I was surprised he was still in that range. Incidentally, he does not eat a lot of salty food, and almost no processed food, so that wouldn't be a factor. A few months ago at his well visit I mentioned that his urine has been foamy, but the Dr. did a urine test and it was fine. I've read, however, that the quick ones aren't always accurate. He also had a slight low calculated globulin rate of 1.9 (range is 2.1-3.5), and a slightly high A/G ratio of 2.7 (range 1.0-2.5). The reason for these blood tests is his constant tiredness (though he recently was diagnosed with mono - the tiredness has gone on for longer than that). He also has quite a bit of random mild to moderate stomach pain.

Incidentally, he has never been one to go to the bathroom often, even with all he drinks. We always chalked it up to a large bladder. His urine is light to clear, and never dark (as you would expect with dehydration).

I’m also concerned about his WBC count. Looking at all his results taken from 8 blood tests from 2010, they were in almost all low, ranging from 4.4-4.6. Last June it was 4.9; in January of this year it was 4.1, and this month is 3.8. What could this all mean? Should an autoimmune disorder be considered? His IGA Serum on this last test was 22.

He is following up with a couple of specialists due to some other readings, but I wondered if he should see a kidney specialist based on these readings. Anyone familiar with this?

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

So What Happened?

Thanks everyone. His doctor referred him to an infectious disease specialist, but I may ask about a nephrologist as well.

More Answers



answers from Dallas on

yes, you should follow up with a pediatric nephologis, who is a kidney specialist. Two laboratory blood tests that measure kidney function are creatinine and blood urea nitrogen, or BUN. You need to find out what the problem is with his kidneys ASAP.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

I agree. Since he has had 2 test results that are off I would ask for a recommendation for a pediatric nephrologist. They will be able to tell you if you need to be concerned or not.



answers from Honolulu on

YES see a kidney specialist.
You should be referred to one as soon as you can.
Mono, and other types of illnesses, can affect the other organs as well as the kidneys.

And per Mono, it can last for a long time.
Look it up.



answers from San Diego on

Have they tested for Diabetes?

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions