16 Year Old Daughter Pregnant

Updated on April 12, 2011
L.G. asks from Fort Worth, TX
21 answers

My 16 year old daughter is pregnant and lives with me. I make a decent income and know I would not qualify. Can she qualify for medicaid or will my income disqualify her? What should we do?

What can I do next?

  • Add yourAnswer own comment
  • Ask your own question Add Question
  • Join the Mamapedia community Mamapedia
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Featured Answers



answers from New York on

There's only one way to find out. If she's old enough to get pregnant and she's decided to have the baby then she's old enough to determine how to pay for it. Tell her to apply.

More Answers



answers from Portland on

If she's your dependent, which she probably legally is, then she isn't likely to qualify. I have, um, a not-too-delicate question, which perhaps information you haven't given in your brief request would answer: If you make a decent income, why would you expect to have the public pay for services that many of us have to pay for out of pocket?

I'm socially liberal, and happily pay taxes to support the public good on my very small income, AND pay almost a third of what I earn for insurance with such a high deductible that I'll probably never see a penny of it returned for my medical care. But I take care of my own expenses, because I can.

I see medicaid as a program for those of us who have nowhere else to turn, and those numbers are snowballing over the past two years. I'd love to see universal health care, but so far, too many of my fellow citizens are disinclined to support that. So state and federal aid would best be saved for those in desperate need.

13 moms found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

YES she will qualify, don't pay attention to the PP. You shouldn't be "expected" to pay for her pregnancy, the father should but that's not always the case and she still deserves to have decent prenatal care. The state will approve her because they want her to have a healthy baby. The only thing she won't qualify for living under your household will be the foodstamps program. But if she starts living with the baby's daddy then she will have to report his income and may not qualify if HE makes too much.

Go to this website and print off an application for assistance. http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/index.shtml

After she completes it, she can turn it into your local office and go from there. Your income shouldn't be an issue for her to receive medicaid and good luck to the both of you.

4 moms found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

I haven't read through all of your responses yet, some sound quiet harsh, I'm sorry people can be so rude! anyhow (before I go off on a tangent about their rude behavior) You might want to contact Real Choices pregnancy center in Grapevine... they are against termination of pregnancy and will have a wealth of knowledge about resources for your daughter, they can help her find the care and support that she will need to get through all that she will be dealing with in the future.

2 moms found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

I got pregnant at 17 with my first child and lived with my parents. I didn't qualify for medicaid or my parent's insurance. It was a nightmare!! I had to fight with them tooth and nail to get them to cover me and wasn't able to get to the doctor until I was 7 months along. That was 10 years ago though, so hopefully the process has changed up a bit. I'm sorry that you and you daughter are having to go through this, but I can tell you first-hand that it can work! I was 18 when I delivered Julia and she is almost 10 now. I am now married (for 6 years) to a wonderful man and we have another beautiful daughter who is almost 3. I graduated high school when my first was 3 months old (early graduation) and went on to be a productive member of the society. :)

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Chicago on

Does she currently have health insurance? If so, she should continue with this insurance. If not, she would qualify for Medicaid (at least in IL).

Another important consideration is who will insure the baby once s/he is born? I would explore her eligibility for WIC (Women, Infant and Children) especially after the baby is born for nutritional assistance. If bottle feeding, formula is expensive. If breastfeeding, they can help with to keep her nutritional status optimal.

Lastly, find a teen pregnancy program for her to help guide her to the appropriate resources.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Philadelphia on

I would hope that your daughter lives with you :) She is only 16. Have you looked into her and the baby staying on your health insurance? At least until she graduates high school? The government insurance for a baby is terrible! My sisters child (she was 18 when she had him) cannot go to a decent dr in a decent neighborhood. My pediatrician does not accept that type of insurance...nor do most.

WIC can help to pay for her food while she is pregnant... and also while she is breastfeeding. If she chooses to do formula they pay for that also. If you make a significant amount and she is living with you that may change things...

I was 18 when i got pregnant. I got my own apartment and worked my butt off. I have been with her dad (4 kids later) for almost 16 years. I would steer you in that direction....BUT your daughter is only 16. She is still in school and is going to need your help. I wish you all the best of luck.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

Natalie O. is correct. She can at least qualify for the baby, if not for herself. If she does qualify, Medicaid will pay for all her prenatal care and post partum care until 2 months after the baby is born. The baby will be eligible for Medicaid through his/her 1st birthday. After that, she can apply for CHIPS (children's health insurance.)
Also, as some of the other mother's mentioned, she should also apply for WIC. They will pay for certain groceries while your daughter is pregnant. After the baby is born, they will pay for formula or continue heling out with groceries if she is breastfeeding.
Good luck to both you and your daughter!!

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

I believe she would qualify for medicaid. When you are looking for pregnancy care, please consider a midwife attended birth either at home or at a birth center. I have seen the way young women are treated during birth at a hospital... it is not too pretty. There are also some midwives that work out of Harris Methodist in FW.

She deserves respect and care emotionally, mentally AND physically. If she wants to avoid major surgery (cesarean birth) she should see a midwife for her care provider.

Having a Doula will also be helpful for her to be prepared and supported during her birthing experience. Call Gina Phillips in Keller TX. If you go to the www.dona.org website you will be able to find her. Good luck.

K. Voigtsberger
Certified birth doula(DONA)
Bradley Method® Educator
Breastfeeding Educator

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Raleigh on

If she is on your medical insurance now, she can remain on there even if she is pregnant. If not, then I would look into Medicaid for her. There is nothing wrong with calling and asking!

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Honolulu on

Call your Medicaid office and ask them... they usually, have programs for children as well.... and their income thresholds cut-offs, are usually quite wide.

Finding out directly from them, would be your best information on it.

Or, see if your State, has State sponsored health plans... which can even be free.

1 mom found this helpful


answers from Dallas on

In Texas she should qualify for Medicaid to cover her pregnancy. If she is covered under yours, I doubt you have pregnancy coverage for her. There are also programs that pick up copays and deducts for kids with high medical needs. If you don't have one there are some great OBs that take Medicaid. Best of luck to both of you and the new baby!



answers from Dallas on

I had to apply for medicaid at the age of 17 with my first pregnancy. I was still living at home and from what I remember, they did not count my mother's income, but if I had been living with the father, they would have included his.

She needs to apply and do it fast, it can take up to 30 days to get everything completed and even though it might seem overwhelming now, it's really not a difficult process to apply and be approved and once she is there are many amazing doctors out there that accept medicaid for her and the baby.
If she wants a good one, she'll have to do a little research and not settle for the first one medicaid recommends but trust me, I had some of the best prenatal care on medicaid and my daughter had an excellent medicaid pedi the first year so they are out there, just do some research.
She also needs to make it clear on the app that you don't help her with anything financially.

I'm sure this is a very stressful time for the two of you, but there are many resources out there that can help her including WIC, that's a very good one especially if she chooses to bottle feed.
Good luck to the two of you!



answers from Dallas on

Its called emergency pregnancy medicaid and she should qualify. Call the local Medicaid office and make an appointment, depending on your area they can be very busy. When you go to the appointment take a letter from your insurance company stating that she will not be covered. Once/if she is accepted everything will be paid for.

To be that young and having a baby.. every baby is a blessing from God and I pray that He will watch over all three of you.



answers from Tyler on

My 17 year old daughter is also pregnant and lives with us. With my husbands income and mine she was able to get medicaid, Wic, and has just applied for food stamps which she will more than likely get also. Hope this helps......Make sure that she gets on wic too.



answers from Dallas on

She needs to call the Medicaid office and ask. Yes, I would make her call. I think my sister qualified for Medicaid when she was 17 and pregnant. If they had included our father's income there would be no way she would have qualified. I think under age pregnancies qualify. She also needs to look into WIC. Don't quote me on this though it's been a long time. Make her call the Medicaid office.



answers from Wichita Falls on

If she doesn't qualify for medicaid (which she should) there is also a program through chips for women - she would have to pay co-pays and possibly deductibles but it would not be what your ins would require you to pay.



answers from Toledo on

I am assuming that your insurance will not pay for her Dr. bills. I was fifteen when I had my daughter and we applied for Medicaid because my parent's health inurance did not cover my bills. I was not able to get Medicaid for myself so my parents had to pay for my hospital bills and Dr. visits. However, when I had my daughter, Medicare did pick up the medical bills for her! Good luck! If you are unable tp get Medicaid to cover the delivery, check out Planned Parenthood or the Health Dept., as they offer discounted services.


answers from Dallas on

where is the guy in all this?? isn't he going to pay for her things?? or did he just have a good time and leave?? don't let it fall all on you mom. you weren't there.



answers from Dallas on

She would probably qualify due to her age. I would also try to take her somewhere non bias to talk to her about all her options and help her figure out a plan. Good luck, I am sure you are having a hard time right now with this.



answers from Salt Lake City on

I just recently went through the same situation myself only it was my 17 year old step daughter. There are many programs in the area that offer information and leads to all resources/alternatives..and by that I mean financial alternatives, because although they prob wouldn't tell you they would prob much rather the baby not be aborted. Their was a place here who would do the preg test, ultrasound, counseling, etc. at no charge and then help find a way to qualify for some sort of assistance financially as well as help find programs to help make sure she were able to continue her education. They go as far as to help find resources to help with housing. And who wouldn't take medicaid if you qualified...if these people only knew half of what we as parents are feeling at a time such as this when your daughter comes to you pregnant they wouldn't be so ignorant! and they would probably say that it's our fault they became pregnant too! Guess what people...it isn't always that cut and dry! If it were only my husband and myself parenting my step daughter she probably wouldn't have aborted her baby either because it would have been our counsel she listened to not her mothers who allowed her to be home alone with boys all the time too! Anyway there are other resources out there...don't get discouraged because you can't find assistance right off the bat! Keep looking. And I don't mean go to planned parenthood because in my opinion and from what I have seen they try to sell abortions to these young scared girls just like the darn abortion clinics do...don't sell her short! Those people never tell you the stats on the emotional stress that follows a lifelong decision. Best of luck to you and your daughter! Remember there are those people and alot of people too... who want to adopt...don't throw that option out like i did at first either. I hope if this reply was too late for your benefit it will still help others in similar situations.

For Updates and Special Promotions
Follow Us

Related Questions