Zyrtec & Breastfeeding

Hi. I'm a mom-to-be, and want to breastfeed when my baby is born. The problem is, I have chronic allergies, and have to take Zyrtec every day. It's the only thing that works for me. I've I don't take it, I get hives and my skin swells- it's not your typical runny eyes, sneazy type of allergies. Nurses, midwives and doctors have told me that Zyrtec will dry-up breast milk. I've asked them if there's an alternative. I really want to breastfeed, and want my baby to have all the benefits of being breastfed. I hope someone out there can help me. Any suggestions?

You will want to read about NAET treatment for allergies. I had one of the highest numbers ever seen(seriously) ever.(Did Mayo,etc.) and this is changing my life. I go to a practitioner named Karen Marshall in FIshers. Her number is
###-###-####.

My OB prescribed Zyrtec for me while I was breastfeeding and I didn't experience any problems, but it was on a "as needed" basis for the sneezy, itchy eye type of allergies.

Hi J.! I am a pharmacist and Zyrtec is fine to take when breastfeeding. A great place to check for medications and breastfeeding is www.kellymom.com. Zyrtec is considered compatible with breastfeeding and is taken by many nursing moms. Enjoy your breastfeeding experience...there is nothing like it in the whole world!
Peace, N.

Have you tried Claritin? I'm not sure if it has the same effect or not. It's worth asking about

I took Zyrtec & breastfed for 3 wonderful years. (not Zyrtec D, that's not approved, just Zyrtec)
Also Actifed is ok (not Sudafed)
I asked COUNTLESS Dr.'s, Pharmacists, Drug reps., you name it & they all assured me it was safe.
I hope everything works out well for you, allergies can just be awful! & congrats on your first baby!!! :o)

There's a supplement called OPC-3 that helps with allergies. My husband has gotten great relief from it this year. It contains the 5 most potent anti-oxidants, and is all natural so is completely safe for your baby too! I could get you in contact with an OB/GYN that recommends it to her patients if you had questions about it. Wouldn't it be great if you never had to take another Zyrtec again!

You can find it on my website.

www.marketamerica.com/rebeccahill

I have 2 children. I also have chronic allergies and was not able to take my normal medicine, Allerx, during my pregnancies or nursing because it was too new and there was not enough information on that it would be safe to take and not harm the baby. Zyrtec was what my OB told me would be safe. Therefore, that's what I took. I nursed both of my children until nearly a year. I work outside the home so I had to pump during the day and I froze the milk. With my first one, I was able to stop pumping by around 10 months because I had so much frozen milk saved that it didn't get used up until a month after his first birthday. My second one, I dried up a little earlier, but it was still near 10 months or after, at which point my pediatrician had us go to whole milk, which she took just fine. In my experience, Zyrtec definitely did not hinder milk production.

One secret to my success... after my kids were done with a feeding, I would hand pump in order to empty that breast. That built up how much I produced as well as the store of what they could eat/drink while I could not be with them.

Hope this helps!
A.

I'm not on Zyrtec, but I do take Claritin and occasionally Sutafed and I have not had a problem. I've been exclusively breastfeeding for almost 4 months now. I've only used a couple of ouces of formula in times of "crisis". One thing that will definitely affect your milk production is stress! I almost dried up when I was graduating due to all the work I had to put in to graduate on time after my daughter was born. I know Benadryl is also save for breastfeeding, but makes me quite sleepy. On that note you should be resting after the baby's born anyways, so it may be helpful. Good luck! and Congrats on your new peanut!!!

My third child was born when allegies are the worst for me. I actully found for some reason, I didn'tneed my allergy med right after he was born. Maybe the same will work for you. I do know that Zyrtec CAN dry up your milk, but that doesn't mean it dries everyone up, or that it will you. Not everyone's body works the same. Until your milk supply is established, usually a couple of weeks, I would avoid taking it unless you have to. but if you have hives and swelling, you need the med. Hopefully the hospital you are delivering at has a Lactation Consultant. Make sure you work with them. If you have anyissues after you get home, they are still there for you and can help you with ideas and suggestions. good luck to you! And congrats on the new baby.
R.

I have an 11 and a half month old son. I'm still breastfeeding and I take Claritin and Benedryl occasionally for my allergies. So far so good! Good luck to you. Breastfeeding is awesome and so wonderful for the child. You're going to love the experience. So will your baby.

1 / 3