Z Pack While Pregnant. Is It Really Safe????

Hi there
I have been sick for almost 2 weeks now just when I thought I was getting better, on Monday I got swollen glands, very sore throat and mucus was yellow/green. I took Tylenol twice during this whole period because I was desperate, but the guilt was killing me:((
I finally called the doctor and he is prescribing z pack antibiotic for 7 days. Even thought they told me it was safe I still feel weird taking it but I really do need, I am miserable. Still being working because we are really short staffed. Did anyone take this medication while you were pregnant?
I am almost 15 weeks pregnant.
Thank you

I took it while I was pregnant with my son and he is just fine. Here's a link to SafeFetus.com, which gives you the class of drug and know facts. http://www.safefetus.com/DrugDetail.asp?DrugId=703&Tr...
I hope you get to feeling better!

a z-pak is rated category B in pregnancy and therefore safe for mother/baby

I took Z Packs with both of my sons, and they turned out fine. You have to get rid of the "crud" or you could get really sick and end up in the hospital. Take it, you will be okay and so will baby!

I took z pac while prego and did fine with my youngest... felt better quick to!

I took it at 27 weeks. This season has been soooo bad with the flu and everything else going around(not that the antibiotic will treat the flu). My Dr has had to hospital alot of pregnant women this season because of it. With your symptoms I would definitely take it and get the yuck out of your body so the rest of your pregnancy is healthy. Feel better.

one way health care providers use to treat pregnant women is "lesser of the two evils". I didn't use the best term (evils) but easiest way to say it. You have to look at & weigh any issues/harm the medication may cause versus any issues/harm your illness may cause for the baby. The possible issues your illness may cause far outweighs anything the zpak may do. Your OB has taken many factors into account before prescribing it. On top of that their job as an OB is to keep that baby safe, by taking care of you, but baby is first priority. The effect to baby is first thought, always. They worry more about you when they go back to being your GYN. Always great to check and double check, but if it's your OB prescribing and not your GP, OB's are thinking baby first

I took a z-pack about 4 weeks ago. I am 29 wks prego and I wasn't too worried about it. It's great to be cautious though!! Good Luck with the rest of your pregnancy!! :)

I took a Z-pak in December....I think I was 14 weeks pregnant. I was miserable and could barely lift my head.....I have not heard anything bad about it...my dr wanted to make sure whatever was making me so sick went away before I got even more sick! It's fine!

I took it too with no problems.

1 / 3