Yummy Slowcooker Pot Roast Recipe WITHOUT Onion Dry Mix???

I want to cook a pot roast in the slowcooker but have noticed that the Lipton Onion Dry Mix that seems so ubiquitous in slowcooker recipes have MSG! So I don't want to use it anymore. Does anyone have a super yummy recipe for making pot roast in the slowcooker using only natural ingredients (or at least without MSG??) Thanks!!

Onions, mushrooms, garlic, 1/4 cup cream sherry (some use beer) to what ever liquid you are using, stew vegetables (carrots, celery, small potatoes), pepper. I go easy on the salt while cooking, they can always use the shaker at the table if they want more.

I just got some Tony's that is salt free, but it is really good. I think I am going to try it with the Salt free Tony's, onion, garlic, Worcestershire, maybe a little carrot, a little water and go for it. I think it will taste awesome, so maybe give that a try. I can tell you that the salt free Tony's replaces the regular perfectly in everything I have tried it in. Good luck!

I put a layer of onions on the bottom, rest the roast on top of them, then pour a generous amount of worcestershire sauce (there is a low sodium version) over the top of the meat and put potatoes and carrots on top. It's so good!

I just use a bit of water (1/4 cup) and then a sliced whole onion 2 cloves of garlic and salt and pepper..

Sometimes, I will add a few Tbls of good red wine..

I just use a little water, roast & veggies then season with lots of chopped garlic, onion (have even used powdered of both when in a hurry) and I found a zesty seasoning (similar to Mrs. Dash) that is incredible and has absolutely no sodium! Not only is it healthier for you than the onion mix, but I think it is even juicer with out all the sodium.

I don't have the recipe handy, but I just made a delicious beef stew in my slowcooker without onion soup mix. my recollection of the ingredients for my stew is: beef, onions, carrots, celery, beef broth, worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaf and pepper. I suggest replacing the onion soup mix in your recipe with a Tbsp. of worcestershire sauce and chopped onion and garlic.

I believe the V8 juice with lower sodium is very good.

Not sure if it has MSG or not, but I always use the McCormicks Au Jus (however its spelled, lol) mix, plus a few boiler onions with my meat and veggies.

I don't have a recipe handy but I highly recommend you get a copy of, "Not Your Mother's Slowcooker Cookbook". I have found it so helpful and they always have a good easy recipe for whatever meat I happen to have. Good Luck!

I like Mrs Dash Garlic Blend with a can of mushroom soup & I always add crimini mushrooms.

I mix together a quartered onion, 2-3 stalks of celery (chopped), 2-3 carrots (chopped), and a few potatoes (also chopped), and put them on the bottom. I put the meat on top of that and nestle the veggies around it. Pour in 2 c of beef broth (low sodium) and 1 c water. On top of the meat goes 4 cloves of minced garlic, a few tbsp Worcestershire, and a drizzle of A1. It's perfect for a cold blustery day :)

I could never stand the idea of putting that soup mix in with my yummy pot roast! My grandma and cousin swear by it but ewwww!

Another trick for really tasty pot roast is to salt and pepper your roast liberally then sear each side in a hot pan. I also like to take wine or plain water and deglaze the pan and add that liquid to the crockpot.

I use a can of low-sodium beef broth, liquid from the deglazed pan and the rest plain water. I also use a rough cut onion and couple cloves of garlic. then place the meat in and cook on low for a long time. About 1/3 way thruI'll add the potatoes then later on the carrots.

salt, freshly ground pepper, minced garlic, rosemary and chopped onions :)

I agree! Onion soup mix is WAAAAAAY too salty anyway!!
You can sear the meat (get skillet hot, then brown all sides) or not.
Put the roast in crock pot on low. Add cut large carrots, small (or quartered) potatoes, onion, celery, garlic, and salt and pepper. Add water - about 2-3 inches. (This will be the au jus, which can be turned into gravy.) You do not need to cover entirely with water, but some people do. Try it both ways to see what you prefer.

Or just use whatever recipe you are used to, but omit the onion soup mix. Add a fresh onion instead!

I'm with Denise P, only I do add some Swanson beef broth. It doesn't have MSG in it... when you read the label it only has broth, celery juice, carrot juice and the like.

I then add salt, pepper, celery, onions, carrots and red potatoes. You can add a dash or two of Worcestershire if you want, I do, but I have never read the label on it, so it probably has MSG in it, lol.

I never use that...I just put the meat, onion,carrots & potatoes in the crockpot. That's about as natural as you can get.

Updated

Use season salt and pepper liberally on the meat, flour it. Brown it nicely in a little olive oil. Pour in a can of chicken broth or veggie broth and slice up a couple of onions. Peel some carrots and put them in whole along with some small red potatoes.

i use veggies, onions, carrots, celery (&celery leaves) and be sure to brown your meat first, to seal it, but to give better flavor too. Most commercial soups are loaded with salt, I wouldnt use any, the natural flavors are lovely as is.

The secret to a tender roast is to buy any roast that has "chuck" in the title, and cook it slowly. They are SUPER easy with a crock pot.

Take a Chuck roast (any size - I sometimes do two for leftovers for soup - add with any leftover veggies from meals, can of tomato paste, and Bear Creek Ministrone soup mix, and 8 cups water - makes a wonderful beef vegetable soup though may need a little salt and pepper)
Sprinkle it liberaly with Lowrey's Season Salt and some fresh ground pepper (a little less pepper)
Add potatoes quartered
Add carrots quartered
Add a few onions quartered
And a few cloves of garlic
Make sure everything is "mostly" covered with water
Put in crockpot on low in the morning...evening you will have an amazingly easy, super tender roast...The key is cooking slow and making sure you use a chuck roast of some sort.

Rootbeer!!!! Then added yor spices from your spice cabinet. Also use orange juice or lemon and lime juice for sweet tastes.

I just spead little olive oil and veggies. Then put some steak seasoning on top turns out great.