Yummy Slowcooker Pot Roast Recipe WITHOUT Onion Dry Mix???

I want to cook a pot roast in the slowcooker but have noticed that the Lipton Onion Dry Mix that seems so ubiquitous in slowcooker recipes have MSG! So I don't want to use it anymore. Does anyone have a super yummy recipe for making pot roast in the slowcooker using only natural ingredients (or at least without MSG??) Thanks!!

Onions, mushrooms, garlic, 1/4 cup cream sherry (some use beer) to what ever liquid you are using, stew vegetables (carrots, celery, small potatoes), pepper. I go easy on the salt while cooking, they can always use the shaker at the table if they want more.

I just got some Tony's that is salt free, but it is really good. I think I am going to try it with the Salt free Tony's, onion, garlic, Worcestershire, maybe a little carrot, a little water and go for it. I think it will taste awesome, so maybe give that a try. I can tell you that the salt free Tony's replaces the regular perfectly in everything I have tried it in. Good luck!

I put a layer of onions on the bottom, rest the roast on top of them, then pour a generous amount of worcestershire sauce (there is a low sodium version) over the top of the meat and put potatoes and carrots on top. It's so good!

I just use a bit of water (1/4 cup) and then a sliced whole onion 2 cloves of garlic and salt and pepper..

Sometimes, I will add a few Tbls of good red wine..

I just use a little water, roast & veggies then season with lots of chopped garlic, onion (have even used powdered of both when in a hurry) and I found a zesty seasoning (similar to Mrs. Dash) that is incredible and has absolutely no sodium! Not only is it healthier for you than the onion mix, but I think it is even juicer with out all the sodium.

I don't have the recipe handy, but I just made a delicious beef stew in my slowcooker without onion soup mix. my recollection of the ingredients for my stew is: beef, onions, carrots, celery, beef broth, worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaf and pepper. I suggest replacing the onion soup mix in your recipe with a Tbsp. of worcestershire sauce and chopped onion and garlic.

I believe the V8 juice with lower sodium is very good.

Not sure if it has MSG or not, but I always use the McCormicks Au Jus (however its spelled, lol) mix, plus a few boiler onions with my meat and veggies.

I don't have a recipe handy but I highly recommend you get a copy of, "Not Your Mother's Slowcooker Cookbook". I have found it so helpful and they always have a good easy recipe for whatever meat I happen to have. Good Luck!

1 / 3