Yuck!

My 5 month old daughter has one ear that always seems to get lots of ear wax in it. I want to clean it out but my husband says I should leave it alone. We have special infant q tips that are big enough so I can't put them all the way in her ear.. should I use them? If not, how should I clean her ears? Also, does a build up of wax signify anything bad (like an infection)?

Don't stick the Q-tip in baby's ear! It can cause damage. Swabbing gently around the opening of her ear to get gunk out is okay. My son always had ear gunk and it drove me nuts. Dr. said okay, but to watch if he was having trouble with hearing or speech. He was having trouble hearing, and some ear aches, so Dr. removed a lot of gunk at his office with a special bendy type scooper that was very soft. We use Debrox from time to time when needed.

No two ears are alike, no two eyes are alike, so it is normal to have one ear producing more wax - it is the body's way of protecting the ear and it will eventually work its way out closer to the entry and then you can get it out,but don't reach way inside or you could damage the eardrum. Next time you go to the Dr. for an appointment, have the Dr. use their special tool to get it out.

After having to go to the doctor to have my son's ears irrigated because of impacted wax, I would agree with your husband. The doctor recommended using a syringe with hydrogen peroxide during bath time. Fill the ear with it and let it bubble up for as long as your daughter will let it stay there. Then rinse with clean water. It worked pretty well. After the bath you can clean and dry off the outer ear with a towel or the infant q-tips.

Never stick anything in the ears. When you take her in for her check up, they will clean it out safely. I can say I had an accident where a Q-Tip went into my ear and put a hole in the ear drum. It can happen even easier in an infant. You can render your baby def by sticking anything in her ear. It is better to just wait and let the doctor clean her ear safely. Ask the pediatrician what you can do to keep them clean as well.

D. P.

My daughter used to get lots of wax coming out of her ears. She started to get fevers of unknown origin. Every time Dr.'s looked in her ears, they wuold tell me there was lots of wax, but said there was nothing for me to do about it. Well when she turned two, she hardly talked & I was about to get a speech therapist for her, but I ended up seeing a fill in Dr. and they cleaned my daughters ears out so the Dr. could see ear drum fully. Well the nurse got a huge ball of gunk out of both my daugghters ears!!! We haven't had any more fevers either. They expalined to me that from birth, dead skin, hair, & wax can form a ball that gets trapped in the ear. the ear makes more wax trying to get the gunk out! All they did to clean my daughter's ears was warm sterile water and put it in a syringe. Place the syringe tip in the ear opening and flushed multiple times. the warm water melted the wax and moved it around enough that it finally came out. The water was caught in a basin and it was nasty looking. About 2 weeks later, she was talking in sentences!!! So while I will say Q-tip not the thing to use, I would really see if your Dr.'s office can do something next time your there.

Never put anything bigger than your elbow in your ear!

It's a funny saying, but it's true. You evidently have NO idea how dangerous it would be to put something in your baby's ear. I'm telling you right here and now that if you do, you could damage her ear and hearing irrepairably.

Take your baby to either her ped or an pediatric ENT. Discuss it with them if you don't believe me.

Do the right thing here, K.. Don't put a Q-tip in that child's ear.

My daughter gets a lot of wax. My pediatrician says to leave it alone as the risk for damaging the ear drum or creating infection is higher by inserting a foreign object than any problems due to the wax itself. I know wax is protective, so I leave it alone, less using a washcloth to clean the external parts if I see any. Wax has NOTHING to do with infeciton, although other crud does appear in an infection. My daughter always had black gunk which I am sure was partially wax and partially pus when she had an infeciton. If you think there is too much wax the pediatircian has a tool that can remove it safely, but I wouldn't touch it.

There's a way to clean her ears using warm water (I add a little peroxide to it).
I the child version of this for my son, and we've kept his ears very clean with no risk to his ear drums. Sorry, I just read this is good for 3 yrs or older.
http://www.earclear.com
Until she's old enough you'll have to have her ears cleaned at the dr office.

Only wipe it out with a kleenex/square of toilet paper. Best to do it after a warm bath when the ears & the wax is warm and wet, wipe it out. (Good to get in a habit of wiping out ears everytime getting out of the water anyway.)
Don't worry about the wax, unless it becomes a serious problem. Maybe ask the pedi/ENT to flush it out at regular visits, if it really bothers you and seems to impact her hearing. Otherwise, just a wipe out of the outer ear after baths is enough. If it is visibly blocked, ask the doc. It's true to never put anything smaller than your elbow in your ear and especially in someone else's ear, especially tiny baby ears.

1 / 3