Young Son Throwing up Only at Night or Early Morning

My 11 year old son complained one eve of his stomach hurting. He had diarrhea and we gave him the natural remedies we were accustomed to.He was feeling a little better by bedtime and went to sleep right away. At 5:00 am he came into our bathroom and threw up. What's weird is that he threw up dinner from the night before (almost 12hrs earlier). Next day he was fine....he still had the diarrhea. We went to be confident that it was over. At midnight he again came in our room and threw up. Is there a virus that does that? If so...why haven't we gotten it? Any suggestions?

Thanks to ALL the responses...it is great to have this to get everyones opinions. Okay so after the second night I went to the local health food store and got digestive enzymes, acidophilis and some "pop" called raspberry ginger brew. Since he can swallow pills I had him take the Dig. enz. with his meals (small meals like homemade eggnog or smoothies) then the acidophilis between meals. Then had him sip the "pop" different times in the day and right before he went to bed. No vomiting!!! He was pretty happy. Next day same thing...and no vomiting. So....I really don't know what is WAS but evidentially it wasn't something serious. His tummy doesn't hurt now except a twinge now and again. So...I guess we are on the mend. So far the rest of us haven't gotten it. Hope we don't!!! Thanks again everyone! J.

My 2 year old did the same thing last week. It seems to be going around. My son got a fever one morning and we knew the end was soon. None of us got it. I hope he's feeling better and none of you got it!

There are conditions like gastric outlet obstruction. You might look it up and see if his symptoms relate to this.

We've had the same stomach crud going through our house. It has been going on for over a week now. Vomiting one day, diarrhea the next, then nothing just to be followed by diarrhea again. There seems to be no pattern to it. So far 5/6 of the family members have gotten it, some worse than others. The last person is just waiting... hopefully it won't hit him! Lucky for him, he was very behind in his school work so he was packed away in his room for the most of the week and the week before catching up! He hasn't really been exposed! lol...
You can take your son to the doctor, but more than likely it's this nasty virus. Give it a couple days and see what happens. Of course if he spikes a sudden high fever or has sharp abdominal pain he should be seen immediately.

No it's a virus. My son has the same thing. He has been doing this since Friday. There is a new string of the flu flying around. I'm like you and haven't gotten it yet...knock on wood. But my husband got it and then my mother. But me fine so far. Just take good care of him. I'm giving my son yogurt to help the good bacteria fight the bad. And pedialight to replace stuff he loses. It helped my husband.

Good luck and take care.

My son did something similar a couple of months ago. He was violently ill and vomiting one night, fine the next day, had diahrea the next day, fine the next day etc...it lasted for a week or so. Seems to be lots of stomach garbage going around this year.

if he is having any abdominal pain or fever or the vomiting/diarrhea lasts longer than a few days then you should have him checked out by a doctor, having him checked for celiac sprue is a good idea too. watch for signs of dehydration (decreased urine output, dry mucus membranes, fatigue). good luck.

Two things come to mind. One is stress and the other is some type of parasite in his digestive tract.
Get him checked out by the doctor to rule out everything.
My girlfriends teen son had something similar when he came home from a camping trip and after many visits to the doctor and many treatments over a period of three weeks that he had caught an uncommon bug. He is now well.

I wouldn't worry too much. You can always try a little nux Vomica if you need to keep him from throwing up but sometimes the body needs to purge. It may be an allergy, something the body was unable to process, or it could be a simple stomach flu. You may not have it because you have a strong immune system. Or perhapse he was exposed to it at school or a friend's house and it simply has not incubated yet. Whatever the case, probably not terminal, but maybe look at target allergen foods he may have eaten in the last 24 hours.

Could be the flu. Could be food poisoning. It could be alot of things. If he has a fever and diarrhea for more than 2 days get him checked out so he doesnt get dehydrated and such. Make sure he drinks lots of fluids. No sports drinks, mostly water and crackers. 7-up helps too. But, if he drinks too fast he may just upchuck it again so make sure its slow sips. good Luck

1 / 3