Yogurt ... - Roseville,CA

OK I have been told that I have blood pressure that borders high. So I am trying to lose weight. First stop .. eat better. So for breakfast I have been having yogurt. I have tried plain yogurt because I know it's better for you but it tastes just awful to me. I would end up putting WAY too much sugar in it for it to taste good. I currently usually have:

1 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
4-5 strawberries - cut up
1 tablespoon Flax Seed
1/2 tablespoon Wheat Germ

I used to add granola but saw that it had a lot of carbs so stopped.

Any other suggestions on how to make plain yogurt taste good without losing too much nutrition?

Thanks,

BTW, yes I am starting to exercise too.

Don't be completely scared of carbs, you need to eat good carbs to help fill you (aka, fiber) so you can last longer w/o going mind numbing hungry. Try flavoring your yogurt w/agave nectar (Whole Foods has some that's actually naturally flavored w/raspberry, amaretto etc...). Also, try greek yogurt instead of just run of the mill plain yogurt. If you need help w/your meals, here is a website that could help you www.totallyhealthyrecipes.com

Add a tsp or 2 of honey...YUM...especially if you go with the plain Greek yogurt!

I put a lot of different fruit in mine. Strawberries, grapes, apples, peaches, whatever's in season. Canned peaches in a pinch. I love to add nuts (walnuts or almonds) as well.

One thing about having a sweet tooth is that I think you need to challenge yourself a little bit to try to get used to non-sweet stuff. Maybe start off slowly, like mix in some plain yogurt with your vanilla. The more sweet things you eat, the more you crave it. That's why artificial sweeteners are not the ideal solution if you want to retrain your palate to enjoy foods with more complex/less sweet flavors.

Grape Nuts in yogurt is good plus it has about 7 grams of fiber.

J. F.

I like my OIkos strawberry yogurt and I think it is healthy!

Another vote for vanilla Greek yogurt, tastes great and has higher protein than other types. I like to have oatmeal, steel cut or regular, with yogurt on top, just a little honey or maple syrup, and some nuts and raisins. Sometimes I have this for dinner!

I eat yogurt every morning and love it, but I refuse to try plain. I used to buy individual flavored yogurts (my favorite is raspberry) but mostly eat vanilla or blackberry. If I'm eating vanilla yogurt, I add frozen blueberries to it and I have to cut myself off--it tastes like dessert to me. I also love vanilla yogurt plain. I have to eat a lot of carbs throughout my morning or I won't make it through the day. :)

I love greek yogurt with some agave nectar and lots of fresh berries. Greek yogurt is better for you than regular and has way more protein.

1 / 3