Yoga Bad for Kids?

Hello...I was wondering if there was anyone out there that has had a bad experience with their kids in a yoga class....and/or just their opinion that yoga for kids is bad/unhealthy/unsafe...

The only way I can imagine yoga being unhealthy or unsafe for anyone of any age is if the teacher is unqualified. I have practiced yoga for over 15 years, taught at times, and have a private practice at home that I share with my five-year-old. He has been more interested at some times than others, which is fine with me. Yoga is good for the body, mind and spirit. It is a wonderful discipline to introduce to children. I recommend "The Children's Book of Yoga" by Thia Luby if you want to explore ways to make yoga fun and age appropriate for children.

I think yoga is great for kids

I heard something about that too before I think it was Christian fundamentalists argue that yoga's Hindu roots conflicted with Christian teachings and that using it in school might violate the separation of church and state.
Physically, I don't know if there are any negative side effects - interesting to see what others say. Thank you for bringing it up.....

I can't imagine yoga being bad for kids. Infact, I would think that it is beneficial.
My children's school has been having mini yoga breaks during the day. This is to help them
relieve stress and become more relaxed and ready for their next class. It's mostly breathing exercises.

S : )

I've been taking mom/baby yoga once a week with my 8 month old daughter since she was 3 months old and it has been great. It helps her sleep, some poses calm her when she is fussy and everyone says I have a super flexible baby (which probably is not at all related). Apart from all of that it is really good mom/baby bonding. Hope this helps- email me if you'd like the name of our studio/instructor.

A.

That's the wackiest thing I've ever heard. Yoga helps kids learn about their bodies. It also helps them focus and relax - skills sorely needed in children today. My almost 2 year old loves it.

Stating the obvious, you would never push your kid to do the positions beyond what they can handle. You're not supposed to do that even as an adult!

J.-

I have been practicing yoga for 5 years now and it is wonderful for children. Many places offer children's classes even in park districts. Next to re-bounding it is the best exercise a person can do because you are incorporating an increased heart rate, breathing and mental stimulation and using the strength of your own body weight. My kids love it!! I have a 10 month old that also does the poses with mommy.

Detox Coach

yogakids.com they have video's showing kids how to do yoga, its great for kids

1 / 3