Yellow Crust on Skin

Moms! My baby has ezcema on his forhead and a little in his hair... When I let his face go (ie. not even clean it with a wet wash cloth) it starts to get better. When I attempt to clean off the crusties (no soap, just warm wet wash cloth) it gets worse! The doctor said I could put lotion on it after I wash his face, but again, it gets even worse!
Any ideas other than just let it go and not wash his face?
When I shampoo his hair, i use a soft bristled brush to get the dry skin off his scalp, but then again, it starts to seep yellow stuff that crusts over... YUCK!
Any help would be great!

Thank you so much to everyone who answered!!
I used the Cetaphil and Aquaphor on the cradle cap and spots of ezcema on his forehead and cheeks and in 3 days I started to see a difference! The olive oil trick worked as well right before bath time, so thank you to all who recommended the all natural remedies!
Hopefully we'll be able to stay on top of it (considering we live hours away from much of our family, pictures are a MUST- and we want him to look cute, of course! ;) ) hehe

Cradle Cap is a form of sorrebhric dermatisis (but I can't spell it.) Its not a problem but doesn't look pretty. My peditrican said to put hydrocortosone (1%) on it once a day if it was bothering me. Other wise I could just leave it. It seems to keep it under control. Mine gets it in his eyebrows and he looks so funny! Good luck

In addition to creams for ecezma, I used olive oil. It's natural and won;t harm him.

my newborn (now 5 mos.) had the same stuff and it finally went away when his hair decided to start growing....not sure if there's a connection. one product i used on his head that softened the stuff up....i use it on my face too.....is Africa's Best Herbal Oil.......it's in the Afro-Amer. product area....it is cheap and contains a bucketful of oils you'd never be able to put together yourself for that cheap.....good stuff....but alas, the crust will eventually disappear on its own.

If it's yellow crusty stuff without red underneath, it's not eczema, it's seborrheic dermatitis, otherwise known as Cradle Cap! Cradle cap often gets really gross around this age.

If his skin isn't really sensitive to fragranced products, I'd try using a dandruff shampoo (careful about the eyes, obviously) even onto his face and let it sit a minute before washing off. I also found that the cradle cap on my little guy's eyebrows could kind of be rolled off with a little goo--Lansinoh or Aquaphor would kind of soften it up and then it would just rub off. Weird but true.

If it is eczema (looks red and irritated, and then starts to ooze and crust), you really can get away without washing it at all. Or try something super mild and moisturizing like Cetaphil, which may help you wash away some of the crusty bits without making it dryer. And try Aquaphor, probably at least 3 times a day (and every time he gets wet!). I also use a prescription cream called Atopiclair under the Aquaphor, which helps make the skin softer. You'll probably have to see a dermatologist for that, though.

Good luck! The good news is that either way he'll most likely outgrow it in a couple of months.

L., Sounds like your son has cradle cap. My son is four months old and had the same thing. Before I wash his hair I put baby oil on his scalp and let it sit there for a while. (I have read to leave it in there for an hour, but you try entertaining an infant for an hour with oil in his hair!) Then I sampoo it out with Aveeno and then shampoo again without the oil. It cleared up within a day. I did skip doing this routine a few times and it came back. I started back up with it again and it cleared up. Hope this information is helpful.

Before trying any of the ideas that people have given you I would check with your doctor. My kids and I have Ezcema and the Aveeno baby wash with the Oatmeal really works well. Once a week I use the oatmeal bath and that helps it also.

Best Wishes L.-
I've read through the responses and it looks as though you've had some great input. In regards to the eczema, we've had excellent luck using a thick coat of Eucerin at night and a thin layer of Aquaphor when going out into the weather each day. This regimen seems to keep the eczema from "coming out" or better put, getting inflamed. Last winter, we needed to use Westcort (a steroid cream) b/c my son had a very raw patch of eczema on his cheek that we wanted to clear to avoid a bacterial infection. Westcort worked well for that purpose, but I prefer not to use it if possible. For bathing, my son's skin has responded very well to use of Mustela Stelatopia wash for baths and Mustela Cleansing Milk for washing up in the mornings. This product is a bit pricey, but is available at Babies R Us - same shelf as Aveeno. Hopefully, your son will respond to something that was offered up on this forum. Best of luck. K.

My doctor told me that what I thought was eczema covering my daughter's face and chest was actually cradle cap (didn't know it went anywhere but on the head). He said to just use warm water and a washcloth to clean the area and said to not use any lotion. He has me use Vaseline on that instead (but said do not use it on the head). After I covered the areas on her face and body with Vaseline, it went away pretty quickly. Now whenever I start seeing her skin looking a little patchy or scaly, I just layer on the Vaseline. The doctor warned that the Vaseline may cause baby acne, but I haven't seen that happen yet. Hope this info helps!

1 / 3