Writing Backwards

My daughter who is 4 and in preschool writes backwards; her name, anything she asks me to spell for her she writes it backwards. Is this something I should be concerned about. My parents are giving me a hard time about it and now I am getting nervous.

Thank you everyone so much! This makes me feel much better!

It is very normal at this age. Just as writing is a learned behavior, so is writing/reading from left to right. It will come with age!

My son not only wrote his letters backwards he would write them from the bottom up. My daughter also wrote backwards letters when she began to write as well. This is a very normal stage in the development of writing.

Talk to her preschool teacher and see if she has any suggestions for you. But you shouldn't worry too much.

It is perfectly normal :-). My daughter, who is 4, is in pre-school and is starting to learn to wrtie her name. She writes several letters backwards consistently, which had me a little concerned. Her teacher said it's normal for all kids to do that, as well as another teacher and her director.

Your daughter may be dyslexic. I am dyslexic and I didn't write everything backwards, just some letters, but Leonardo Da Vinci was dyslexic and he wrote everything backwards. For a long time, people thought he was writing in code. If she is dyslexic, expect her to have a little trouble in school, and you may need to get outside help for her. Don't think for one min. that Dyslexic means she is stupid. Quite the contrary! Einstein was dyslexic as was Edison and they are considered two of the smartest people in history. In fact most dyslexics have bigger brains then "normal" people. All it means is that when she thinks inside the box for her, she is thinking outside the box for everyone else. It also means that she may have trouble reading and writing. Hope this helps!

This is normal until age 7-8.

Hey Ann Marie;

First off, she's four. Don't panic, just keep a vigilant eye on it. I can't figure out why.... but people always seem to be so critical -- even worse when they are family. I would bring it up on your next Dr. visit but in the meantime - enjoy your little girl.

Kurt

Almost all children transpose their letters. However, you could talk to your daughter's teachers and see what they think. If they find it to be unusual, you can take your little girl to the doctor:)

How exactly is she writing??? Is she writing her letters upside down, or from right to left? Dislexia (sp?) might be the case. A lot of kids do this. They usually get passed this. If it's just her letters being written backwards and not writing right to left, then I wouldn't be concerned. She'll get over it. Best of wishes,G.

When I was younger I use to write transpose my b's and D's.I was diagnose with dislexia (very common) and took a special class in elementry once or twice a week. I don't seem to have that problem anymore.

Once she starts school bring this to here teachers attention so that they can correct it early. Don't worry about it!

Jenn

my 28 year old son alwyas wrote backwards and sometimes upside down. this is a kid that learned to read at age three. he also insited on wearing his shoes on the wrong foot. he did this until third grade because his teachers were so hard on him. i guess it was like the nuns at my catholic school slapping my hands witha ruler because i was left handed ( the sign of the devil). i was asked by the school to have him evaluated and the evaluator told me that kids who do this are extrememly creative and that they can write normally but they just dont want to. they like to stand out, even though they don't really understand exactly why they do it. my son is the first born and was an only child for 13 years. he has always been very opinioated and charming. he is a leader and is very creative. he loves adventure. he is alsways the first to try anything and he doesnt stop until he has done it better than anyone. very detail oriented. tried college but it wasnt for him he is too non conforming. but he is now a contractor and is building beautiful custom adobe homes. one of his homes goes for 1.5 million but they are only 1500 sq feet. dont worry about your child . let her be what she is. if you fight it she may have more problems later in life because of that. i think she will grow out of it on her own and grow up to be a leader and creative person.

1 / 3