Wrinkled Wedding Dress Train

My daughter is getting married in 5 weeks. I have been keeping her wedding dress at my house. She tried it on to make sure that it still fit perfectly. It did! The only problem was that the 3' long train was wrinkled. We cannot take it to the store where she bought it, because they are no longer in business. It is very decorative with pearls & lace, so i am afraid to even try to iron it. Any suggestions??????

One of my businesses is a professional event planning company, so I have a little experience with this- I would NOT do it myself but take it to a professional dry cleaners to steam and stuff the entire dress so that by the time she is ready to put it on just before she goes down the aisle, it's ready to go. You can wait until the week of to do it or do it now - the dry cleaners that do this on a regualr basis have techniques on how to pin the train so it does not re-wrinkle.

this is what ask.com suggest:
■Remove shallow wrinkles with a hot hair dryer and or a hand steamer. Do not try to press or steam wrinkles away while bride is in her gown. HOLDING DRYER CLOSE TO FABRIC MAY CAUSE DAMAGE. DO NOT USE STEAM ON SILKS THEY WILL CRINKLE.

maybe call a cleaner and ask what they suggest is my own suggestion.

Hey C. maybe steam will work.

Put it in the bathroom so it can enjoy the humidity from showers AND get a hand held steamer. You will love how the wrinkles just fall out. Steamers rock! They freshen curtains amd bedsreads and make ironing a chore of yesteryear. I love the little handheld thingie PLUS it cleans grout (floor and shower) without any chemicals.

Bed Bath and Beyond. Use one of the coupons we get in the mail and you will save! Good luck.

If it's not to badly wrinkled you can hang it in the bathroom and turn the water on hot hot hot. The steam should help the wrinkles to fall. You are just steaming the dress, not getting it wet at all.
Otherwise you can call any dress shop/bridal store and I'm sure they will press it for you. Just call around the for the lest expensive place.
Hope that helps and enjoy your families special day!

C.,
Don't panic, I worked in retail and we had a steamer, yes now they sell them everywhere, Bed Bath and Beyond, is one of them get the big one, that comes with a stand where you can hang the dress from and steam it from under, meaning inside out the wrinkled area, wait until is nice and hot and some steam has came out for a few minutes you will get the best results that way. Good luck have fun!, if you can't afford to buy one, just bring it to an alterations shop, they will have one, and they will be glad to do it for you for a small fee.
C. Martins

I got my wedding dress at Brides of Venice and they where wonderful! I would call them, they might be able to steam it for you. Enjoy the wedding!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take it to a bridal shop that does alterations (does not have to be the place you bought it), or to a place they recommend for alterations. They can steam it for you. Or, you can purchase a hand-held upright steamer at Walmart for bout $15 and do it yourself

Fabric steamer. No need to even touch the fabric. Test on where it won't show to make sure the steam doen't stain the fabric. Better to ask at your dry cleaner. Best wishes to the bride and her mom.

I worked in a bridal shop years ago and you need to use a steamer to get the wrinkles out.

If you have a corner where you can put a hook in the ceiling (like one you would use for a hanging pot) you need to hang the dress so that the train is allowed to hang.

You could check with another shop. They may be able to steam it for you for a fee... or try a dry cleaner.

C.,
This may be a little expensive but it will be worth it not to mess the train up in any way. Take it to the dry cleaners. They are professionals at this and know what and how much steam or other to use on the fancy fixins (smile)
My husband I an I renewed vows after 17 yrs. last year on the 5th of July. My dress was brand new and the train was 4 1/2 ft and georgeous with sequins and pearls and lace. My dress and train were beautiful that day. Afterwards I took it back to the dry cleaners and had it treated, returned it to the storage bag and box for a neice, cousin or whomever needs one later on. The cleaning/steaming of both to remove wrinkles was $80.00.

I'm with the stick it in the shower people. If you don't want to waste lots of water you can find a place in your bathroom that the dress can hang without chance of getting dirty and leave it there for a few days to steam. Every time someone gets out of the shower make sure they close the door to the room to keep the steam in.
Enjoy the wedding!

this is what ask.com suggest:

C.,
Eithr go to a professional dry cleaners in your community or place it in the bathroom and turn on the shower to very hot water and attempt to steam out the wrinkles that way.
Or go to another bridal shop in town and ask if they would be willing to help you and your daughter. This is not an unusual problem, but with pre-marital jitters I am sure that your daughter is a wee bit nervous.
Hope that some of this help you out.

A dry cleaner or seamstress can steam the dress for you to remove the wrinkles.

C.,

Contact David's Bridal. They may be able to help you with pressing the dress properly.

Hi C.~

Buy a steamer! I wish all problems were solved that easily.

you can use a hand steamer. Call Susan Rose ###-###-####...they may do it for a fee...this is their specialty. Good Luck.

I would check with your local dry cleaners. I use Sunset Cleaners on US 41 in Lutz.

Local alterations store or even David's Bridal.

Check with a dry cleaners...ask if/how they can get the wrinkles out or give you some advice.

Don't iron it! steam it.