Would You Send Your Kid to School with Walking Pneumonia?

So, my kids have had a cold, or so I thought. I kept my 6 year home from school Tuesday because she had a funky cough. No fever, no nothing else! When I found out the baby has pneumonia, I thought I should probably get my 6 year old checked out too. Yep, she has it.
The doctor said she is fine to go to school but doesnt want her to participate in PE until next week. I, personally want to keep her home, but she is REAL upset about the things shes going to miss at school tomorrow.

What would you do? Im new at this, I think its pretty stinking serious, but the doctors are acting like its not. My kids have never had anything like this before.

Walking pneumonia is different. My husband used to get it all the time and went to work with it. The cough seemed to last forever. Do what you feel is best. Keep her home an extra day if that makes you feel more comfortable. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about her going to school especially if she isn't feeling bad. My daughter had pneumonia twice and was really, really sick. Walking pneumonia is different, I think.

NO-don't send her to school! I've had walking pneumonia and you feel HORRIBLE -even without fever. I would give her until Monday to rest and down tons of fluids and get the antibiotic in her system.

No.
I would keep my child home.
Pneumonia, is very serious.
I have had that myself.
AND... if it is contagious, the child should stay home. Why... would you put the other kids at risk of getting it????

There is bacterial Pneumonia and there is viral Pneumonia.

My Mom almost ended up in the hospital, when she had had walking Pneumonia.

You, already have 2 kids... that have Pneumonia.

As long as your child is on antibiotics and is feeling okay, it's alright to send her. My son had it in middle school. I did keep him home because he felt bad, and took him to the doctor, only to find out about the pneumonia. But after 24 hours of being on the antibiotic, I was allowed to take him back to school. Good thing too, because it would have been bad to have missed too much in middle school.

Hope both are feeling better!!

My daughter had it in middle school. I would have her stay home at least 24 hours on the antibiotic and then see how she feels. My daughter went to school after a day or 2 of rest, but then got bored and wanted to go to school. We did have a note from the doctor to excuse her from gym for 2 weeks, and alerted the classroom teacher and the school nurse that if she felt weak she could go to the nurse, but she never did (just no gym). After 24 hours on antibiotics she should no longer be contagious. Just tell her to take it easy and alert the school personnel so they can keep a closer eye on her.

If she were my kid, she would be staying at home in bed. I agree with you, walking pneumonia is nothing to mess around with. Sure, she may not be contagious to others (which is the doctor's reason for giving her the okay to go to school, I'm sure), but I'd be worried that she wouldn't be able to rest and heal well enough if she's running around the playground or breathing in other kids' germs.

I'd keep her home over the weekend, at minimum.

Pneumonia sounds serious and it can have serious complications, but nowadays most cases are pretty routine and go away with a simple course of ABX. Keep her home if she has a fever or feels crummy. Otherwise if she feels fine and wants to go... I don't see a problem.

okay, here's the deal: walking pneumonia sucks. You're tired, you feel drained, & you fatigue easily. +....her immune system is down, & she is at risk. Why chance it?

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter if she wants to go or not...a little bit of rest will do her a world of good.

1 / 3