Would YOU Send Your Child to School with a Cold

My daughter is home from school today with a bad sore throat, blood shot eyes, coughing, sneezing and a REALLY runny nose. My husband didn’t agree with keeping her home saying “it’s JUST a cold.”. He said just to give her some cold medicine and it should get her through the day. Being that school is almost over he doesn’t want her missing any days.

Besides the fact that she feels miserable and needs her Mom to take care of her, I certainly wouldn’t want my daughter going around spreading her germs to the other kids.

Let me end this by saying that my daughter has only missed 2 days of school since the beginning of the school year. This is the first time she has been sick this year. Her last missed day was for her Grandfather’s funeral.

If your child was sick like mine, would you keep them home or send them with tissue and making sure they took some cold medicine?

All great answers! Thank you! My daughter really never gets sick. She has always received the Perfect Attendance Award at school and has a 4.0 GPA. She takes great pride in that!

When she woke up this morning looking more miserable then I have EVER seen her, I knew she needed to stay home. She said her head hurt so much it felt like it was going to explode. Thanks to those who put it this way….if I felt as bad as her, would I want to go to school??

If she is visibly sick and not playing, and you can afford to stay home with her, why not let her stay home and rest. Is she really going to learn anything feeling miserable. When you are that sick, all you think about is how miserable you feel, and noone wants someone like that sitting next to them. Sneezing, coughing all over. She hasn't abused her sick time with school, so why not. I love how husbands out ther 2 cents in and don't make any sense. They have no compassion. But when ther are sick, they want us to cater to them. Babies.

As others have said the only time my kids absolutely stay at home are when they have a fever or are vomiting. That being said if my child is miserable I let them stay at home. I know when I'm sick I don't want to do anything so I'm not going to make my children sit in class and be miserable when all they want to do it rest. When I see my kids are coming down with a cold I try to get them to school for as long as possible in the beginning and then if they hit a day or two when the cold seems to peak I'll let them stay home and then send them back for the last few days of it.

I would've kept her home. I'd make her stay in her room and rest, but I would've kept her home.

When there isn't a question of a fever, then I try to look at it from the standpoint of if I was going through all that, would I stay home?

THANK YOU S.!!!

Thanks for being a responsible, loving parent who has a view of things outside her own child and immediate family. I mean that from the bottom of my heart!

Sure, you could have sent her to school with meds and she might not have felt as crappy, but those germs would be flying left and right and some child might have gotten sick who doesn't have a parent that can take off work or stay home...and then what?

I was a single parent for many years. I didn't have sick leave and if it weren't for my mom who was retired and could help me I don't know what I would have done. Then to find out that someone hopped their kid up on tylenol cold to mask the symptoms and sent their sick baby to school, who then infected mine? That drove me bananas.

So, THANK YOU S.!! You did exactly the right thing.

WOW!! I would hate to be AS SICK AS YOUR CHILD and have parents like the ones below who stated “No fever or vomiting, you go to school”!! Seriously???

What you described that she is feeling, she is obviously too sick to function at school and I really can’t believe that parents would make their kids go to school if they were THAT SICK!

Good for you for keeping her home and taking care of her! That’s what Moms do!

I totally agree with Lisa C!

KUDOS on having a straight A student and it’s because of YOU too!

The general rule of thumb is that they should be symptom free for a 24 hour time period before being sent back to school, and you are absolutly right, this is how infection spreads so quickly through schools and the workplace.... IF YOU ARE SICK...STAY HOME!!!

Absolutely not. I didn't send kiddo to school when sick EVER, and now that we homeschool I don't take him out in public when he's sick.

A) These illnesses are CONTAGIOUS. I feel it's my responsibility as a human being to not be callously or deliberately infecting others.

B) Our bodies burn a ridiculous amount of energy when we're sick. The fastest way to get better is to rest, recuperate, and actually take care of ourselves.

I would definitely keep mine home!
Best Wishes!

As a granny with fragile health and seriously challenged lungs, I thank you for asking this question. My adorable grandson picks up cold after cold from his daycare, and if he's just becoming (invisibly) contagious when I spend Granny Fridays with him, I get those colds, too.

Then I get severe bronchitis, have an expensive doctor visit or two (no insurance), take an expensive antibiotic with difficult side effects, and cough myself inside out for the 5-8 weeks it takes to clear out my lungs.

School kids are one of society's primary disease vectors, and many of the people they will infect will be elderly, or very young, or immune-suppressed, and very much at risk of developing severe, debilitating, and even deadly disease.

1 / 3