Would like Recomendations for Mother Daughter Vacation

I'd like to take my 4yr old daughter somewhere during spring break for a vacation.

My husband will probably not be able to go due to work, so it needs to be someplace where I'd feel safe just she and I.

Priorities being safe and clean, away from the college/high school party crowds. The beach would be nice, the closest shore is Alabama's Orange Beach, Gulf Shores. We'll be going by car to get there so it needs to be within a day or two's driving distance from northeast Arkansas. Any advice would be appreciated. Happy New Year.

Hello, either area is nice I've been to both of them once when my daughter was about 3 then we went back when she was about 6, now I have another 2 year old and my other daughter is now 10 so we are going back this summer, I think you might prefer Gulf Shores, they have more outdoor things to do like the zoo and parks etc, they also have more shopping center in walking distance and its really safe. Hope this helps and enjoy.

Instead of the beach where the Spring break crowd will be how about a trip to a zoo, Atlanta, Birmingham, and Little Rock, all have zoos and it can be fun and educational. We went to Little ROck zoo last summer and had a blast (5 yr old and 3 yr old twins).

Branson, MO is a great place for a couple of days. They have shows, go-carts, and lots of SHOPPING! There is a Ripley's Museum, Titanic Museum, Toy Museum, and lots of different restaurants. Get online at the Branson Chamber of Commerce for a listing of shows. We go every year, and we have since my son was born (he's 11 now and can't wait to go again:) Then again, there's always Disney World in Orlando! The happiest place on earth.

I live in the gulf shores area and I take my 4 year old to the beach all the time. I've never felt unsafe any time of the year. If you wanted to avoid some of the crowds on the main beach and don't mind a drive into town you could stay on Ft. Morgan Rd. My sister takes her 2 boys and stays at Gulf Shores Plantation every year. I wouldn't feel unsafe staying in the main areas, but it does get very busy during spring break. Gulf Shores has a zoo, miniature golf, the track (which has a few small rides for younger children), Waterville, the water park, has an area for small children, the ferris wheel at the wharf, build a bear, dolphin cruises, adventure island in orange beach. Fort Morgan has a fort you can walk through and you can also catch a ferry to Dauphin Island. you could check on visiting the USS Alabama battleship and submarine in Mobile Bay. Oh yeah, Tanger Outlets in Foley has a playground and carousel now that my daughter enjoys. My daughter and I are by ourselves most of the time since my husband works out of town and I have never hesitated going anywhere in this area. I would be more worried about safety while traveling, and for that reason, would recommend a travel buddy. Hope this helps and that whatever you decide that you have an awesome vacation.

I took my son, by myself, to Destin, Fl. We stayed at the Holiday Inn right on the beach. It is VERY kid friendly. It has organized activites, especially a 4 year would like. You can see the hotel and its setup by going to its website. I felt very safe there.
I took two days getting there. I live in Conway, so I drove to Hattisburg (6 hours from Conway), then drove to Destin (about 6 hours).

www.alabama.gov has a list of destinations, attractions, and events in Alabama. My brother works security in Orange Beach at a place called The Wharf. He hasn't told me of any problems in that area. Although, it seems anywhere now has the potential of having any type of problems.

Good luck and happy vacationing.

R.

I absolutely LOVE Dauphin Island, AL (right next to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach) but very laid back- not the "party spot." I don't know what the water is like that time of year, I usually go during the summer. It is definately worth checking in to!

Have you thought about something simple like Branson or Eureka Springs? Do you like the outdoors or would you prefer something with more attractions? How much are you wanting to spend?

My girls both like Oklahoma City's zoo and science museum. They are right next door to each other and I have always felt safe there.

The wachita forest has lots of little camps and such. They are rural though.....very outdoorsy.

If you are thinking beach....Galveston is only a day away. I have never been to another one so I won't be much help there.

There is also Memphis. They have lots of attractions. I would just check for safety before you go.

If you get any good ideas, let me know. I am looking for some for me and my girls as well....

Hope this helps!

1 / 3