Worried About Using Children's Benadryl on 6 Month Old

I was wondering if anyone had experience with Children's Benadryl, specifically with a baby as young as six months. My 6 month old has been so stuffed up and has a pretty bad cough for the past couple of days. The doctor says it is a viral infection (not an ear infection or anything lung related, thankfully). She said we could try Benadryl to help relieve her symptons and let her get some sleep. I am nervous about giving her this, you hear such horror stories. I'd rather keep doing what we have been (humidifier, elevate her crib mattress, going into a steamy room, saline drops) unless she is really suffering. Not that I am against medicines, but I am just nervous about giving her an antihistamine unless she is really bad. Just wanted to see if I am worried for nothing - is it common to use children's benadryl on a six month old.. Just wondering if anyone had any good or bad experiences with it. thank you!!

Thanks everyone so much for your replies! After reading through everything, I definitely am NOT giving her the Benadryl, at least not until she is 6 years old and probably not even then. Thank you for all the information and suggestions!

You are right to worry about this med for a 6 month old. Keep doing what you are doing and definitely do not give benadryl... it can be dangerous and deadly!

I wouldn't give Benadryl to a 6 mo. I think you are taking the right steps to make her more comfortable. I'm not anti-meds in general, but for a 6 mo...

My 12 month old daughter has had a cough on and off the whole winter, at times it has been pretty bad and is SO hard to listen to! My pedi has said that she didn't recommend giving her any type of antihistamine so we didn't and just used the humidifier, saline + nasal aspirator. The one thing that we did use was the Vicks liquid in the humidifier, that really seemed to help her coughing at night...other than that we just waited it out and she would get better within a few days.

Neither of my kids have ever had Benadryl (ages 3 1/2 & 13 mos). I'm sure they could have benefited from it many, many time, but I just didn't feel it was worth the risk. I think what you're doing is the right thing, and as frustrating as it is, you just need to let it take its course. Good luck!!

I know the bottle says 6 years + unless advised by a doctor... and that's still for children OVER 2 years. If your doctor said it's ok, i would go with it. Just make sure you measure the dose he/she said exactly. If you feel she doesn't need it, and what you are doing is working, then don't. You know your daughter better than a doctor that saw her for 5 minutes would. If she gets worse i wouldn't think it would hurt to try it.

don't do it. your dr is mistaken. my daughter is 17 1/2 mos and she still doesn't take benedryl for a cold. our dr says, not until age 2 and then use it sparingly. it isn't worth the risk, stick to what your doing plus saline spray up the nose and then suction it out. good luck

i wouldn't give benadryl to a 6 month old.it is technically for ages 2 and older. i would continue to do what you have been doing. i workin pediatrics and we don't recoomend giving benadryl to kids under 2 especially a 6 month old. i would trust your instintics

It sounds strange, but whenever my twin boys (12 mos.) get stuffy, I find that infant Tylenol seems to really help. Not sure why it works - but I know other moms who've had similar results. My pedi says to avoid antihistamines until they're older, too, but Tylenol is fine (using infant weight-based dosage). Good luck!

Since Benadryl is an antihistimine (forgive spelling) and your doctor didn't mention allergies, I'd speak with a pharmacist before giving it to your child. Regarding side effects, Benadryl can cause seroius drowsiness. Heck...I used it as a sleeping pill when I was pregnant.

Another thing to keep in mind when it comes to over the counter (OTC) meds...Pharmacists have to know uses and side effects...it's what they do. Doctors know some of the basics, but I'd take a pharmacist recomenation over a MD's any day. I used to be a medical secretary and it was my former employer who told me this.

Mummywytch

1 / 3