Worried About My Health, but Too Scared to Go to the Doctor!

Ok, so I know this sounds crazy, but I am trying to get an idea of what is wrong with me BEFORE I go see a Dr. I just don't want any suprises and I fear the worst. Basically I have always been regular with my period, up until my son was around 2 yrs old. He is 8 now. At that time I stopped have regualr periods and before I knew it I wasnt getting one at all. That went on for a couple of years and I would just have one maybe once or twice the entire year. Now for the past 3 years I havent had a period at all. Honestly I dont miss them, but I am wondering if its bad for my body to not have one. What I am more concerned with is why did I stop having them. This is what is keeping me from the DR. I am terrified its something horrible, and I am really bad about "outta sight, outta mind". I know weight gain/ or loss can mess your cycle up, but this started occuring before I ever put on weight. My husband I have wanted another child, but I cant get preggo, which I am certain has to do with the fact that I am not having periods anymore. I am 29 years old and this started when I was about 22-23. At this point, I am also embarrassed to go the Dr and tell him/her how long this has been going on. Anyway, what I would like to know is if anyone has had similar things happen to them, even if it's bad, I want to know. I think this will help with the anxiety I am having about the Dr.'s. I think maybe I feel like I have some sort of idea whats going on, then there wont be any shocks or suprises! I would really appreciate any advice you all could give me!!

A good friend of mine had a similar issue. Ultimately, she ended up having a large uterine cyst removed and she is now well into her next pregnancy! Yeah!

Could be endometriosis. Do you have any pain in any specific location?
I experienced this. Only, by the time I was diagnosed, I had to have a total hysterectomy.
Please write back to me.

I would suggest to go see my doctor...he is terriffic! His officeis in the Woodlands, is that near you?

Yes for a about a year I did not have a period at all, because I have thyroid disease (Hypothyoidism), this is wear my thyroid does not produce enough hormones throughout my body. People can have this and not know it because the symptoms can be due to other things and people just over look them. Here are the symptoms I had when I went to the endocrinologist and found out what was wrong. Hair loss, my hair fell out when showering, when brushing when doing nothing. Not like a clump of hair but enough to wear I was having to unclogg my shower drain weekly. And I noticed it all on my shirt like I was shedding. Also I was overly tired all the time I felt like I had no energy at all. Irritability more so then usual, bad leg cramps (charlie horses) that would come at least 2-3 time a week if not more and hurt for days afterwards. This diseas can also cause fertility problems and if gone untreated can lead to other serious problems. Other conditions related to this disease is hear palputations (feeling as your heart is flutering), high cholesterol, high blood pressure, depresssion. But if treated properly and monitered regularly then you would not have anything to worry about.

Hope this helps and if you need to get check for this disease please make sure to go to an endocrinologist and not a regular doctor. There is a very specific way to detect this and if not done properly it may be overlooked. My regular doctor checked me for this a year before I was diagnosed and overlooked it from not knowing how to properly test for it.

I wanna say I'm sorry that you have been going through what all you been through,but I haven't had all those symptoms but I've had a couple.I had the irregular periods and also I was taking birth control and I stopped taking them and it has been a year or so that I haven't taken them.I haven't got pregnant yet and right at this moment isn't the right time for that anyways.Just go ahead and go to the doctor's and find out what's going on with you before you find out that it's something really bad you know.I hope that everything is okay when you go and that they don't give you any bad news. Keep us posted on what happens.

I never had anything quite this severe; however, my periods did become quite random. Along with it though, I had other symptoms....such as, hair loss, altered appetite, fatigue. I was diagnosed with PCOS and hypothyroidism. It kept me from getting pregnant for almost 9 years....now i am expecting a beautiful baby boy in May! Your problem is this.....you have got to go to the doctor! Yes it has been awhile, but it could be something easibly treated! Why suffer the anxiety and heartbreak when the answer is one short visit away?

I wish you the best and hope that you put your fears behind you...not only for your sake, but for your families.

-sarah

First of all I will agree with you that it is somewhat scary not knowing. But honestly sit down and take a long look at your son, and think, if something was terribly wrong and you have the chance to correct it so that you wouldnt die, dont you want to do every thing possible to be healthy and alive so that you can watch your son grow up??? Isnt he worth life itself, he needs his mommy and he needs you to be healthy. Second of all you know they have found that having a period in not a must anymore and that is why they have birthcontrol that takes away your periods. Though being your husband and you would like to have another child you need to put on your big girl pants and march your butt to the doctor and figure this out. We as women are the strongest and can get through anything and remember you are your biggest advocate. Speak up, get facts and take charge. Your son needs his MOMMY!!!!!

Please write back to me.

Go to the doctor!!It won't go away putting it off. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Have faith and your fears will fade. Know you are loved!!

Hi, there! I can relate entirely to your story!!!
In my 20's I stopped having periods and after awhile finally forced myself to go to the Dr.
because I wanted to have a baby.

Ammenorhea (absence of periods) is not uncommon and can have many causes. In my case it was an INCREDIBLY stressful job working with sexually abused children and their families.

OK, enough about me...Chances are there is nothing seriously wrong with you. Hormonal imbalance or something like that. In my case the Dr. prescribed Provera (synthetic progesterone). My period started 10 days later (after the course of pills).

I am not a medical professional ( I am a social worker), but my father was a physician and my mother was a physical therapist. Even so, I was TERRIFIED of going to doctors and always convinced that everything was going to be terminal!

Don not be embarassed about going to the doctor-he/she sees things like this all the time.
This all happened to me when I was 28.
Make an appt. after you get a recommendation for a kind, female OB/GYN. Take a friend with you or your husband and be open with your fears with them.

You will be fine. Pretend that it is your son who needs a check up and reassure yourself the same way you would him, "Don't worry honey-everything is ok".
Good luck-I know what you're going through. I had that baby at 28 and then another one at 38!! I'm now 50!!!

Wishing you good health and freedom from anxiety!
Fondly,

Suprises????? You have got to know something is not right. You should just go in. Many times you hear that people end up having to face something horrible that many times if caught early enough would have been no big deal. I myself had a little problem before my children that could have prevented me from having any children. Thankfully I am pretty regular about checkups therefore we found it at the earliest stage possible and guess what... Due to my first child I never had any procedures and no signs since for over 6 years now!!! Better early that late I say!

1 / 3