Worried About Cyst on Brain of Unborn Baby

My daughter has just had her 19 week ultrasound which shows a cyst on her daughter's brain. Dr. says it may disolve on it's own before 28 week ultrasound. Has anyone had this during their pregnancy? If so, what was their experience.

My middle son has cysts. I had a Level II ultrasound at 29 weeks and they were gone. My OB said it's fairly normal and not to worry too much until after the 2nd ultrasound.

My mom has a friend that had the exact same issue. They took several tests and it just dissolved around that same time frame. Don't worry. Even if it does not dissove, it could probably be dealt with after birth. Have fun with the new baby!

I am an Ultrasonographer from the San Francisco Bay Area, if this is a choroid plexus cyst (which has very distinct characteristics) we do not even comment on these anymore. They are benign, and a normal finding. Ultrasound machines have improved so much that we are seeing more "normal" findings then years prior. But, that being said, I am surprised they are still making a big deal of them here! I was just at a conference at UCSF in April and the concensus is still not to make a big deal of these. It causes too much anxienty during pregnancy to document these types of normal findings. Hope this help.

We had the same experience with our first child. We had a sonogram at 19 or 20 weeks and there was a cyst in our daughter's brain. The doctor tried to reassure us that it would resolve on it's own but that month until the next prenatal appointment was agonizing for us. The doctor did a follow up untrasound and sure enough the cyst was gone. Evidently they are very common around that time in development. Just try as best you can to keep your daughter calm and not too stressed about it. I know from personal experience just how hard that can be, but give it at least a month to clear up on it's own.

May 2006 I was 24 weeks and my baby girl had 2 cps on her brain as well. I was told they would dissolve on their own.
I was told they are sometimes softmarkers for abnormalities.
But we had the in depth u/s at the specialist. It showed nothing indicating any abnormalities and at that u/s the cpc had resolved . It was comforting news. Althoug I was told they cause no harm I was still scared. One of my good friends called and I told her what was going on. It turned out she had experienced the same thing with her previous pregnancy and we all have perfectly healthy babies. Hers never dissolved on the ultrasound for her to see. But both babies are doing fine. I embraced prayer everyday. It gave me strength and comfort to somehting that did seem so uncertain at times. I'm sure I worried an unhealthy amount. So try to relax and feed your faith. God Bless.

H.

Yes...I too had this same result from an ultrasound with my second pregnancy. I was so freaked out, but my doctor definitely wasn't. The cyst disappeared later in my pregnancy and my now 3 year old is a silly, happy and completely healthy little girl. I totally understand your fear, but go with the doctors on this one. They do see it all the time. May you all be blessed with a peaceful heart.

Hi C., My niece had this situation with her first born
son. They told her that most likely the cyst would disapear.
Well that is exactly what happened. The baby came out just fine, on time, and as beautiful as could be. He will be 2yrs old in October and has not had a bit of problems. She is having her second child "a girl" this time in July.

Praying for you and you daughter
Cindy

I had the same thing with my son. He was our third child and a big suprise. I was sent to a perinatoligist. I was also a diabetic at this time. I had gestational diabetese with my second child. I had may special sonograms done while I was pregnant along with many blood test. I am happy to say I have a healthy 16 month old little boy now. All the systs dissolved. He had one in his brain and in the heart area. They all went away. I will keep your daughter in my prayers. I know it can be a trying time.

My 9 month old baby girl as well as my neighbor's 10 month old baby girl both had these cysts. They aren't true cysts, they are pockets of spinal cord fluid pooling in the brain as the spinal cord area is developing (and apparently they are much smaller than they look on screen). They do indeed go away! I was a wreck over them but my very experienced doctor assured me they were not permenant and would cause no damage. Sure enough, by my U/S at 32 weeks, they were gone! My daughter is perfect in every way and developing on schedule. I can only assume that it is the same kind of cyst my daughter had based off of the info provided. Congrats on the baby!

I have a grandson that was not diagnosed with this thrue ultasound, but it was found right after birth. I sure dont want to scare you and our outcome has been great. We lived in a very small town and had to take him to the emergency room when he was just 2 days old. They careflighted him to Childrens Medical Center in Dallas and that was when they discovered the cyst. At that time it was not too concerning because it was not growing and we monitored it through cat scans and MRI's every 6 months. His cyst was actually attached to the lining of the skull and could not be surgically removed because the lining of the skull and the cyst had like woven themselves together like fabric. When he was 2 it started to grow and was pushing his brain to the left side of his head. I have to say we have a wonderful nureologist at Childrens. His name is Dr. Swift.
They went in and inserted a tube into the cyst and it drains into the stomach. The tube is under the skin.
My grandson is now 5 and lives a very normal uninterrupted life. We have an MRI done every year and so far all is good. I know it seems very scary,know your doctor and their credentials. Childrens is an excellent hospital with excellent doctors. I hope I have helped to some degree. Feel free to write me if you have more questions I might be able to help you with.
I will pray for you and your family. God Bless You

1 / 3