Workplace Baby Shower

Should I attend baby shower for co-worker having first baby at 40? And inexpensive gift ideas (as in about $5).Don't go to lunch or anything but nice enough co-worker. Mentioned age because I've been told that anyone at that age having first child shouldn't need a baby shower.

So the way this all came about was from a chat with other moms outside my kid's class. When talking about upcoming stuff work baby shower was mentioned and I was looking for creative gift ideas. Was asked the mom to be's age (40), what # kid (1st) etc. One mom, 40s, said she didn't have a baby shower because at 40 she had enough resources to provide for her own child and that another 40 yr old shouldn't need a baby shower and instead of gift gives only a greeting card $5 or less. Then another 40s mom said she is very crafty and does $5 gifts like scrapbook page, knit blanket...using coupons for JoAnns or other craft store. So i wanted to see if others give these types of gifts.

As far as should I go question...has nothing to do with her age but simply curious about thoughts on workplace social gatherings. Also talked about baby shower with friends. Got two sides - if I like the person go and give a nice gift. vs. these events are unprofessional and I should just save my money. These suggestions were given when I asked friends a simple question -What should I get for a co-worker baby shower gift?

Yep I asked a bunch of people about baby shower gift giving because this subject gets people talking. We can share the good, bad and ugly of baby shower gift giving and receiving. Baby shower hostess is collecting $20 per person for pizza (yes, pizza) and sides and from her hubby's restaurant along with cake. Will see how it goes.

M.R. you are very considerate to mention some people can't afford much. I wonder if mamas would be offended if a financially struggling person baked food for mama to be and happened to only spend $5.

$5 is a pretty cheapo gift. Why bother going? Just because she is 40 doesn't mean the baby shouldn't be welcomed with the same joy as a baby to someone who is 25 or 30.

Wow. Who told you that?
I'd say she may be 'better prepared' to provide for the responsibilities of parenthood as compared to, say, a 16 year old knocked up by a BF that needs a crib because she's now unemployed AND uneducated, but do you seriously think this woman has been hoarding away baby items for the last 25 years or something? LOL That's just a really odd question...and sentiment. Sorry.

WHAT..... just because someone is 40 they don't deserve a shower for a 1st baby. Who told you that.... GEES.. how rude. At least she is prepared and not a knocked up teen who knows nothing about reality yet.

If you don't want to go, don't go but don't be cheap about it. I'm not saying go spend a ton of money but $5 won't buy anything of quality.

$5 probably = generic bottle of Tylenol, maybe cheapo bibs

If you are going to participate...............do it right

Why is a woman at 40 having her first baby less entitled to a baby shower than some woman in her 20's or 30's? All of these weird "rules" you women come up with just floor me.

If you are insistent on only spending $5 on the poor woman, get her something useful, like diapers. But for $5, it will probably be a pretty small package of diapers. As far as attending, you should probably decide on your own whether you should or not. I say what is the harm? Each baby deserves to be celebrated, regardless of mom's age.

Wow. Who told you that?

At 40, she is probably head over heels about having a baby especially because it is her first. She definitely
should have a baby shower. Not sure where you got your info but boy is it
wrong.

First of all, while I can see some logic in not doing a wedding shower with expensive home items for a woman of 40 who is and has been living on her own since she was 20 (and therefore probably has all the "home items" that traditional wedding showers were supposed to help provide for a woman who had not been living on her own...), that logic does not apply here.

A woman, of whatever age, who is having her first child would not have been gathering baby items for years. So, regardless of her age, the shower is supposed to help her get the items she needs for taking care of her baby.

What coworkers did for me was, everyone chipped in any amount they felt comfortable with, and got a gift certificate to Babies-R-Us. That way, no one was judged if they only chipped in $5 or if they chipped in $20 or whatever. They all signed a card and put the gift certificate in the card.

If this were my co-worker I would spend or chip in about $25 for a gift.

First time at 40 means she likely has nothing.

First time at 40 might mean that she spent years trying and trying and finally got pregnant. She's probably gone through more than most to try and create a family.

$5 seems like a major slap in the face UNLESS you are in a financial position where you can only give $5 (I understand that a lot of people may not have the resources at this tough economic time).

Did she attend or would she attend your baby shower? I know it isn't ti-for-tat, but treat others how you'd like to be treated. For $5 you might be able to get her a bib...

Updated

If I only wanted to spend $5, I'd see if there was a group gift being organized and go in on that. A bunch of $5 gifts can add up to a nice gift certificate or a larger item (like a carseat or stroller) that individuals aren't likely to spring for on their own.

I understand working in a large office and wanting to make a modest contribution towards a gift. I'd go broke if I shelled out $20-$25 for every wedding, baby, and birthday celebration at my workplace!

1 / 3