Working Out in Bare Feet

My tennis shoes suck. I've been working out at home (30 Day Shred) and after my workout, my feet HURT. Like so bad I can barely walk. My shoes are old, so I'm sure that's the problem. I did the workout the other day in my bare feet and wow! what a difference! I could do the whole thing and even walk after! My husband says that I'm going to damage something by working out in my bare feet. We have carpeted floors that are actually really soft and cushy. I want to buy new shoes, but we just don't have the extra money right now (and I have no idea what to even get. This is the first time I've ever really worked out) Is it ok to do the workout in my bare feet? Or am I going to damage feet?

Thanks everyone! I should have said that I very rarely wear shoes at all. I hate wearing shoes. :) I would go everywhere bare foot if I could. My feet rarely hurt from walking bare foot, but if I wear shoes they hurt like crazy for days! As soon as we have it in the budget, I'll go to a good shoe store and get a good pair of shoes!

About 10 years ago, I was walking with flip flops on, so no arch support. The next morning I got out of bed and wasn't able to walk on my feet. I was in so much pain. The only thing that gave me any relief was to walk on my tip toes. I went to the dr. that day and was told I had Plantar Faciatias, she knew right away with the pain I was in and asked if I had been wearing shoes without proper support. I'll never walk without good shoes (or workout :) ever again. The pain was horribly excruciating!

I found a nice pair of shoes at Meijer this past winter, they are Nike and they were $29. I use them for only working out. I also mostly walk around the house with no shoes but I do try to exercise with shoes. Oh and I bought a thin pair of socks for $3, I can't remember if it was Wal-mart or Meijer but I am not a think sock person, only when it is snowing and 10 degrees outside do I get the think socks out. But I also looked at walmart and did not like what they had. You can always try them and see what you think and then you will know what to budget for.

I got Planters Fasciitis from working out without shoes on the carpet. It struck me July in 2009 and I still have the pain. I don't suggest working out in your bare feet. Invest in a good pair of shoes meant for exercise!

i don't know the answer to that but i encourage you to buy new shoes. consider it a necessity. find $45 in your budget somehow, like cut down on eating out for a month or two. supportive shoes can make a world of difference! there is no need for your feet to hurt after working out. and it affects your whole day. oh and my neighbor ran a marathon "quite comfortably" in gorilla feet kind of shoes.

have you heard of the gorrilla feet? I don't know their real names, but they look like the feet of a gorrilla. Ruber soles and then a cloth top to hold them on. The say it's better for you to go bare foot because you step better in them or something like that. So those gorrilla feet assimulate barefeet. Anywho, I'm not sure where i'm going with gorrilla feet. I just hear it is better to go barefoot. Try googling it and i'm sure there is information out there on it.

I don't think you have the footing or the support to work out in bare feet. I know shoes are expensive but the key is to go to a good, independently owned and run store. We go to a running/sports store where they actually watch you walk down the sidewalk, they look at your old shoes to see how they've worn down, etc. They have a treadmill you can walk on while they watch your feet - they look at your stride, whether you have pronation, and so on. You cannot get this if you go to a sporting goods store in the mall - the sales staff are not experienced. My son and husband are runners, but I am not. The store knows that I am looking for shoes for working out, for walking, for cross training (doing multiple tasks) and that's how they fit me.

I think you need arch support and something to keep you from slipping. It's more than just cushioning. You will get more out of your workout if you If you go to a good store, you'll get the help you need. Tell them you are on a budget - sometimes they will discount things, believe it or not. The shoes will LAST you too. I wouldn't skimp here - I'd buy clothes at the consignment shop and splurge on good shoes. You can wind up with knee and hip problems, back aches, and more.

And toss the old ones - put them in the Goodwill bin somewhere. It may not just be that they are old - they are not properly fitted to you.

If you can't find a store on your own, call the local high school track coach or the head of phys ed, and ask where the kids buy shoes. Our local store gives 10% off to the athletes, and my husband and I got the same discount that our son gets.

personally, i think you are fine in your bare feet. marathon runners train in bare feet. I think it would help you to be more concious of how you are placing your feet and less likely to twist or sprain something.

http://www.barefoot-running.com/
There are some who believe it is best to run barefoot and athletic shoes cause more damage and injuries!

I've never head you can damage your feet working out barefooted.
I know some fitness classes do their workouts barefooted. It's prob actually better for your feet.
Benefits of Exercising Barefoot
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/26139/

1 / 3