Working Moms- What Do You Do When Your Young Child Is Sick?

Im a stay at home mom and my babe gets sick often. Luckily I am home to take care of him. I was just thinking how hard it would be if I had to work and he was too sick for day care. What would I do? What do you mom do?

I am very lucky that I have an old babysitter that still take care of my kids when they are sick. I have heard of a program that care for children when they are sick. I don't know if its a nanny for a day. I know the last company I worked for offered this service to there employees. I hope this helped or someone knows what I am talking about. :)

I have always been able to do my job from home, so that helps. But still, my sick kids come before any work obligations - and that is always. Luckily my kids do not get sick often, but when they do it is over the top. But I just work from home. I do work before they get up, at nap times (which is a lot when sick), and after they go to bed. I still am mommy and they still get my undivided attention. My husband had to take leave, but if I had something it was difficult to get away for, he would just do that. Not too bad at all. Most companies and bosses understand an work-life balance is a HUGE thing in the work place right now.

It is tough no doubt. My husband and I switch off. Sometimes it just depend on who has what going on at work each day. It helps that we use a home daycare that doesn't make us come get the kids for every little sniffle. High fevers or throwing up usually warrant one of us staying out. A common cold usually means they can go to daycare.

Well, in my case my mother now lives with me. So like today, my daughter is not feeling well and she is home with my mom. Nonetheless, if any of my children were sick I would take off from work. I pretty much would go to work sick just so I could use my sick days on them. Thank God I been blessed to have a good and understanding boss in each and every job. But my priority has always been my family :)

Both my husband and I own our own businesses so between the 2 of us, we can either leave early or stay home as needed. In fact, this is the first year my kids aren't in aftercare and I'm picking them up from school. Working parents that don't have friends/family to help out have to take sick or vacation (whatever their boss allows) to take care of their kids.

Hi - My kids are 11 and 12 now. I worked FT when one was very little, then took a year off when the 2nd was born and worked PT until they were in 1st and 2nd grade and started full time again. Pretty much you have to stay home and take a sick day. I also recommend that if you take a sick day make sure you get some extra rest while the kid is sick as a preventative to you getting sick later on. Sometimes my husband and I would alternate but that was rare. Now I have a laptop and just work from home when they are sick. The good news is once you get past 2nd and 3rd grade they do not get as sick as often. The worst is when they get these viruses with high fevers that last for days and you can't go to work. Hopefully you get a boss who has kids and understands.

My husband and i both work full time so we first try to see if either of us are available to take a sick day from work and if not or if our kids are sick more than one day we invest in the help of our parents and my sister who is a stay at home.

As a full time working mom, I most often take a vacation day so I can stay home with my child. If I have no vacation days left, I take it unpaid. My husband does the same, we work who will be the one stay home depending on the situation. If my child is not really sick (low temp, mild cold but not "acting sick") I will let him stay with his grandparents. Theres different levels of illness...he is in daycare 3 days a week (with grandparents the other two) If its a daycare day - I obviously DO NOT send him to school and I either myself my husband or a grandparent stays with him. We are VERY THANKFUL and LUCKY to have our parents close by but as a mother, I most often am the one to stay home b/c what mom doesn't want to comfort her sick child! My boss is understanding and my company if flexible, we do have sick time but I know they don't like it to be used unless there is real sickness, clearly with children there is real sickness but to "not rock the boat" so to speak I use vacation time so excessive "sick" days don't become an issue. I use some throughout the year but cautiously...everyone's work culture is different and you know what will make waves and what won't - regardless my child comes first so even if I have to take it unpaid I will - my attitude is: I have a priority and that priority comes first - pay me however you want or not,but I have to be with my child.

when i went back to work.. i made it clear that my kids come first.. if they are sick.. i will behome with them. my first job said no way... so they wouldn't keep me on.. i found a job that is flexible... they even let me bring my daughter to work.. if she just isn't feeling good. In my family, the kids come first..berore the job.. it's tjhe only way i will work ,,,, i want to be able to take off to see a school play, or bring my child to the dr. I want to be there after school too.. so i only work 9 to 2.... i want to know who my kids are with, i want to go over homework with them, i want to be home for dinner.. it works great.. sure we had to cut back.. but it's worth it.

I stay home with her. It sucks when they are out for about 2 to 3 days, in those cases dad and I switch in taking days off. His boss is more understandable than mine. I use my sick days/vacation because in my company they are both the same, we don't get separate. My boss does not like it, but what can I do. I also sometimes bring her to the office with me to work, but it's hard on those "not feeling too good days", so we just stay home and cuddle.

1 / 3