Working Moms - Lafayette,IN

I was curious how other working moms manage to get housework done, cooking, cleaning, shopping, exercising, and still time with child after working full time ...

Right now I work PT. When I worked FT (when he was very little) I quickly discovered it's all about priorities. And planning ahead. And organization and a game plan.
Cook ahead if you can. (Sometimes I would put stuff in the crock pot at night so it could be refrigerated in the morning and warmed up after work.)
One load of laundry per day worked for me so it didn't get to the overwhelming MOUND for the weekends.

A big meal made on Sunday eve that will last for 2 more days.

Hire somebody to clean the house 1x a month.

One load of laundry a night.

This morning from 8am-9am... I emptied all the garbages, dry-swiffered the floors, lightly cleaned the kitchen, wiped down the bathrm we use most, put laundry away and wiped the stairs as I was coming down them. One set of sheets are in the wash. I'm done w/ chores until 5pm tonight !

I scream, "Don't make a mess" and they scream back, "I didn't do it". So the house is a mess.

Hahahahaha! When I was working full time, I didn't! For shopping, I shopped once a week and my son came with me. Exercising was a walk with my son, or just playing outside with him for a half hour after dinner. We also lived close to a lot of shops, so I would walk whenever possible (if I wasn't doing big grocery shopping). And I'm ashamed to admit...dancing with the Wiggles. For cooking, I only cooked dinners, and my son would play in the kitchen around me while I prepared dinner. I usually made extras so we could have leftovers for lunches or so I could take a night off cooking. We cleaned as we went as much as possible. I would try to do laundry a load at a time as it amassed, instead of letting it pile up during the week. At one point I also paid a teen girl $10 to clean for an hour each week. She would do the bathroom, vacuum, and if she had extra time she'd do whatever else needed doing. (I had to show her what I wanted done at first and check her work, but she caught on pretty quick to my standards) I would play with my little man for that hour. My house wasn't spotless, I couldn't have run a marathon, and my son watched too much tv, but we did the best we could.

It's not possible to get it all done. "Supermom" is a myth. A "super mom" is one who shows her children she loves them, whose house is clean but probably not spotless, and who knows what things to let slide and when. We all have different priorities, so you just have to know what you're ok with letting go and what absolutely must be accomplished no matter what.

Best wishes!

Lol - I don't.

My husband is a stay-at-home Dad and though I am sure there are some wizard SAHDs out there when it comes to housekeeping - mine - not so much.

I spend every few Sundays doing my laundry. I spend every holiday doing laundry. I get groceries unique to me on the way to/from work. I've given up on the house being organized - or even picked up - until the kids are older. I excercise after the kids are in bed and right before I go to bed - so until they were all 2 +, I just didn't. At best, I'd go for a walk if I got a lunch break.

This has not been ideal. But it's my reality for now and it's either this or not get time with my babies.

I save almost all cleaning for the weekends. I do light upkeep during the work week (dishes, sweeping) but I save all the big cleaning for the weekends & we do it together as a family. That way after work I pick my daughter up & we spend our evenings having fun. As far as cooking, we eat out a lot (too much). I pick dinner up on the drive home, or I have pre-made food in the freezer that we pull out & reheat. When you work, you don't get as much time for anything but you find a way to make it work. Good luck!

I am also in the camp who just doesn't get everything done.
We do only minimal cleaning during the week (dishes maybe picking up, occasionally a quick vacuum). I don't have time for exercise at all. When my DD was little I ran with a stroller now that she is too old for the stroller that's out too. There is just not enough time for it.
All the cleaning, laundry and shopping is done on the weekend. We do it as a family, so it is still time spent together and cleaning goes faster as well. our washer and dryer run non-stop Saturdays and Sundays. I plan meals ahead for the week for most weeks, planning quick and easy meals for night when we come home late and meals that require more prep for when we get home earlier - and we often use paper plates and cups to keep the dishes down... this is something I was really reluctant to do for a long time, but it does make things easier (and I use the compostable kind for my bad conscience).
But still - there is always stuff that doesn't get done... but honestly - who cares?

One load of laundry a night.

I managed my house FAR better when no one was in it!!

As far as kid time, it depended on the hours I worked, and his schedule (aka if he was in preschool until 1pm, and I got off at 2pm... We had 6+ hours together. Off an hour before bedtime? Only an hour. In k and i started work at 3pm, but he didnt come home until 4pm? NADA. Off at 2pm? Off at 2am? Off at 7pm?

1 / 3