Won't Be Ready for Kindergarten!!!! What!???!!!

I had conferences regarding my 5 year old son. He missed the school year cut off so was in preschool this year. He turned 5 in September. He will be six when Kindergarten starts next year. My son had to have early intervention (physical therapy and speech until he was three) After he turned three he was a bit behind cognitivelybut the evaluators were not concerned. Saying that it probably take him awhile to catch up with his peers. He was born healthy and no there are no medical issues, allergies, behavior issues. He just had low muscle tone and core muscle issues.

The teacher said today that she didn't think he would be ready for Kindergarten next year!!!! I said what????!!!! We have almost a full calendar year before he starts. I thought it was a teachers job to help him learn his ABC's and numbers. She said he was behind..duh I know that but as a teacher what are you going to do about it and for us parents what do you recommend so we can help him at home?

We are going to have him tested at our early education center to be sure there are no process learning issues. At this point I am not concerned about ADD or ADHD. He is not displaying any of those characteristics. I just think he's a boy and up until now hasn't shown an interest in these things except playing and having a good time. I know it's my job as a parent to teach him and I will...but I think it's completely ludricous for a teacher to tell me my son wont' be ready when we have a full calendar year to go. This is preschool and you are writing him off. So he doesn't know all of his shapes or alphabet. He is writing his name though. Isn't that what preschool is for? Any suggestions? I don't know whether to be angry or go back and clarify with her..She did say she was going to work with him one on one and help. Why is she writing him off so soon?!

Edit- Teacher said his emmotional and social skills are great! He is eager and excited about class not discouraged. Knows how to hold a pencil and is in Karate. She said he does great with peer interaction and group time. So no maturity issues. All academic. Should know 100% of his shapes, letters, numbers etc. That's the issue....academic

Get a second opinion.

AND - if he is not ready when he's 6, would you even consider holding him back another year? That's crazy. If for some reason he doesn't know his shapes and letters at the start of Kindergarten, that's what school is for.

AND - if he needs extra help - bless us for living in a wonderful country where the school systems are (or at least here in MN they are) able and willing to provide special help for those kids who need it.

He'll be fine.

Yeah... I agree with you, she's making an assessment way too early. There's almost a full year before Kinder starts for him, that's way too much time to start jumping to conclusions now.

Does her opinion really even matter after all? I mean, no one had to 'sign off' on whether my five-year-old was ready for Kinder. She was five, and I registered her. That was it. You're his mother, you make the calls.

She shouldn't have made you feel like this, sorry :(

My son started Kindergarten last year and the skill levels of the kids in his classroom ranged from not knowing the alphabet yet to reading at a second grade level. All of the students passed and went on to first grade.
So, if I were you I'd go ahead and enroll him in Kindergarten and spend this year working on those letters, numbers and shapes. You don't have to carve out time to force him to do worksheets and flash cards. Work it into everyday activities like a trip to the supermarket.

I suggest that she is saying, IF he doesn't learn these things in the next year, he won't by ready for kindergarten. Perhaps she's just giving you a heads up so that you can work with him on those things. I don't know how she could make this prediction a year in advance unless testing has shown that he has learning disabilities that will prevent him from learning these things.

Good that you're going to have him tested. Perhaps she told you this so that you would get him tested? I wouldn't worry about what she says. However, I might ask her to expand on that statement to be sure that you understand her. You don't want to go thru the year thinking she meant one thing when she meant another.

Get a second opinion.

He'll be fine.

I fully agree that it is way to early for her to be making these sorts of judgments. And your son does NOT need to know ANYTHING to get into kindergarten.

Sounds like this teacher doesn't want to put in any time or effort so she's preparing you for HER failure.

I'd just shine her on what a "whatever" attitude and go ahead and register him for kindergarten in January. I don't know about the laws in Illinois, but in CA, kids are REQUIRED to go to school when they are six.

This stuff drives me crazy. He's 5 years old. Pull him out of preschool and let the poor kid play.

Maybe the teacher is trying to tell you that she thinks your son needs to be evaluated. Or just trying to encourage you to work with him more.

Preschool is really about socialization. not academics. the preschool where my kids went had maybe 20 minutes of letters numbers colors in the am... and then it was free choice, or snack or outside time.. preschoolers should be running and playing not stressing over letters at school.

however at home.. you can work with him... spend tiem on letters numbers colors and shapes.. READ READ READ to him.. go to the library and get books...

Starfall.com is a great website. leapfrog letter factory is great.

there is so much you can do in this year before school starts.. look for a good preschhool workbook and do a page a day with your child.

remember his attentions apan is only 5 or so minutes so make learnign time short.. you can get him ready for school..

i think its kinda crazy for her to tell u he wont be ready when its only October! id have to agree with you that i would feel that this teacher is writing him off to have said something like this so early on in the school year

1 / 3