Women with Multiple C-sections

Updated on August 08, 2011
K.L. asks from Covington, LA

I have a question. What is the most c-sections a woman can have??? Does the doctor stop a number to be safe or do the go by how many c-sections you had and look and tell rather or not your body is going to hold up with anymore? I was told from my last child that I can have probably one more.(bascially 1 more pregnacy and c-section) I already had 3 c-sections with all of my 3 kids.I never had any problems with my surgery or after healing process. Does the risk goes up with multiple c-sections? Did any of you moms or anyone knew of a woman that ever had more than 3 c-sections? If so did everything go ok and did you have any serious problems? Thanks.

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

So What Happened?

Yes I heard that too. Where the planceta attach to the uterus.

answers from Los Angeles on

I have heard 3-4 is the most you should have and that it isn't really safe to have more than that. I don't think I know anyone who has had more than two yet (personally), but I know people through message boards that have had three.

answers from Washington DC on

I don't think there is a set number. It depends on how your body holds up after each surgery. I had three c-sections with no problems, and I'm done having kids, but the doc never told me that it would be dangerous to have a fourth one. I think the general consensus for most doc's is that after you have had 3-4 they start becoming uncomfortable about performing anymore. With each c-section you have there is a slightly higher risk of their being complications. If your doctor already told you that it was ok for you to have another one, then I wouldn't worry about it. He would know better than anyone else.

answers from Oklahoma City on

It depends on the individual. The doc most likely looked at your uterine wall during the last c-section. If it thins or what they call a "window" where there is a thin area then they would recommend to limit how many more. The thin areas can rupture during a pregnancy putting both you and baby at risk and possible death.

answers from Dallas on

I just had baby #6- # 5 c-section. This was in February. After baby #4, the doctor said that my uterus was really thin and he didn't reccommend me getting pregnant again. I wasn't planning on it, but 4 years later I guess my body had healed up enough and I had #5 then when she was 5 months found out(to my great surprise) that we were expecting #6! My doctor wasn't worried about either one(a different doctor since we had moved) but there were complications when I had my last baby. My placenta had become attached to my uterus- so they had to cut it out and there was a lot of extra bleeding. My surgery took over 3 hours and I had 2 blood transfusions. It took a lot longer to heal with this last one(and it is the last one!) but I was lucky because the doctor was able to keep from having to remove my uterus(which can end up being the case with my complication). I believe it is call placenta abrupta or something similar. and you are at greater risk for it with more c-sections. But now I am completely healed up, my baby is doing great(there was never any problem with him). the pregnancy went fine. Talk to your doctor and he/she will let you know if they have any concerns for you having another c-section.
good luck!

answers from Tulsa on

I have had 4 c-sections, from the same c-section site. My ob had said you could have up to 6 from the same site, but it also depends on scar tissue. If the scar tissue is bad then it would be possible to have to do a vertical c-section versus a horizontal one. I think it all comes down to what your obgyn is comfortable doing and how well your body could handle another c-section.

Next question: Is Having Three Babies by C-section Safe?