Women with Multiple C-sections

I have a question. What is the most c-sections a woman can have??? Does the doctor stop a number to be safe or do the go by how many c-sections you had and look and tell rather or not your body is going to hold up with anymore? I was told from my last child that I can have probably one more.(bascially 1 more pregnacy and c-section) I already had 3 c-sections with all of my 3 kids.I never had any problems with my surgery or after healing process. Does the risk goes up with multiple c-sections? Did any of you moms or anyone knew of a woman that ever had more than 3 c-sections? If so did everything go ok and did you have any serious problems? Thanks.

Yes I heard that too. Where the planceta attach to the uterus.

I have had 4 c-sections, from the same c-section site. My ob had said you could have up to 6 from the same site, but it also depends on scar tissue. If the scar tissue is bad then it would be possible to have to do a vertical c-section versus a horizontal one. I think it all comes down to what your obgyn is comfortable doing and how well your body could handle another c-section.

I just had baby #6- # 5 c-section. This was in February. After baby #4, the doctor said that my uterus was really thin and he didn't reccommend me getting pregnant again. I wasn't planning on it, but 4 years later I guess my body had healed up enough and I had #5 then when she was 5 months found out(to my great surprise) that we were expecting #6! My doctor wasn't worried about either one(a different doctor since we had moved) but there were complications when I had my last baby. My placenta had become attached to my uterus- so they had to cut it out and there was a lot of extra bleeding. My surgery took over 3 hours and I had 2 blood transfusions. It took a lot longer to heal with this last one(and it is the last one!) but I was lucky because the doctor was able to keep from having to remove my uterus(which can end up being the case with my complication). I believe it is call placenta abrupta or something similar. and you are at greater risk for it with more c-sections. But now I am completely healed up, my baby is doing great(there was never any problem with him). the pregnancy went fine. Talk to your doctor and he/she will let you know if they have any concerns for you having another c-section.
good luck!
~C.

It depends on the individual. The doc most likely looked at your uterine wall during the last c-section. If it thins or what they call a "window" where there is a thin area then they would recommend to limit how many more. The thin areas can rupture during a pregnancy putting both you and baby at risk and possible death.

I don't think there is a set number. It depends on how your body holds up after each surgery. I had three c-sections with no problems, and I'm done having kids, but the doc never told me that it would be dangerous to have a fourth one. I think the general consensus for most doc's is that after you have had 3-4 they start becoming uncomfortable about performing anymore. With each c-section you have there is a slightly higher risk of their being complications. If your doctor already told you that it was ok for you to have another one, then I wouldn't worry about it. He would know better than anyone else.

I have heard 3-4 is the most you should have and that it isn't really safe to have more than that. I don't think I know anyone who has had more than two yet (personally), but I know people through message boards that have had three.

1 / 3