Woke up and Couldn't Hear Out of My Left Ear. . . .

So I am making a doctors apt, but want to know what you mama's think.
I have noticed when I apply slight preasure slightly above and over a little from my ear on the left side, I can't hear anything. It however doesn't do that on the other right side.
This morning, I woke up and I couldn't hear or it was muffled pretty badly out of my left ear. I rubbed the spot described above and it went away. What do you think is up? Should I go to an ENT or my regular doctor?

No, I haven't noticed any drainage. I usually get that annoying scratchy, itchy throat when I get any amount of drainage. Little or small. Now in need to find a regular doctor. . . I haven't had one since I was young.
Nope, I haven't swam in a year :( sad, I know.

I suspect you have a ball of wax stuck in there. I would get an ear syringe and use warm water over the sink and irrigate it over and over, you'll be amazed at what comes out of that little hole. This happens to my husband quite frequently.

Okay, I know this sounds ridiculous, but have you tried cleaning it out really well? Sometimes, there is a lot of wax built up in your ear, and I know you aren't supposed to use q tips, but... when I was in college, I actually thought I was going deaf for a couple of days because I began increasingly losing hearing in one of my ears. Someone suggested cleaning out the ear, which I did, and my hearing was immediately restored.

Have you done a lot of swimming and could it be "swimmer's ear" which is an infection outside of the eardrum? My mom gets huge build up of wax which makes her deaf in one ear until she squirts it out with one of those over the counter bulbs that come with wax softening drops. I get ringing in my ears that comes and goes, and makes sounds difficult to hear. Hard to know what it could be, but see a primary care first would be my advice.

I does indeed sound like wax since it gets better when you touch your ear a certain way. However, if it is neural in cause then it needs to be treated ASAP with steroids. BTW, it has nothing to do with being a woman.

Did you happen to put a Q-tip in your ear at all? Years ago I put one in my ear to clean out the wax and ended up pushing a blob of it against the ear canal, scratching it, and pushing wax underneath my ear drum. Not only could I not hear, my ear hurt SO bad I couldn't believe it. I went to an ENT and they cleaned out my ear, but it still hurt so much that I went to a different ENT within a few days, begging them to see me. I had to have antibiotic eardrops and a separate proceedure to get the stuff out from the bottom of my eardrum. I really worried that my ear would never be normal again. I was lucky.

Never put anything in your ear that's smaller than your elbow - I used to laugh at that saying, but not any more.

If this doesn't apply to you, I would say you have an infection and need to get to an ENT ASAP!

Good luck, Meg!

I would go to the doctor, or you could just go to the Health clinic in Walgreens. They deal with problems like this, if it is something more they will tell you if you need to go to ENT doctor. As a child I use to have problems like this a lot. As I got older, it was wax build up, cause by using Qtips.. Yeah I know... This is what they told me to do and it works like a charm. equal parts of hot water and peroxide. a couple of table spoons each, it will not even get hot, because the peroxide is so cold. lay on you side with ear straight up, fill you ear with the mixture, if you have a dropper it works better, (make sure it's clean) it will feel funny and make popping noise, it actually tickles, do it for about 2 minutes, roll over on a towel and let it drain, repeat one more time. This will not only fight any infection you might have, it will also clean out your ear. But you could have a huge wax build up too. They can see and will be able to tell. Good luck and I would try walgreens first, faster, cheaper and they take insurance.

Maybe your ear drum is enlarged. You can go to your regular doctor, they should be able to check your ears and such. When your ear drum is enlarged, fluid can't go past it and you can't hear anything. But with being able to rub the spot to make it go away, I'm not so sure that it could definitely be that.

i had this a couple years ago and they washed it out with peroxide and a turkey baster.....i guess it was like a wax buildup from being outside your ears produce more wax or something....i was pretty grossed out when they did it because i know i clean my ears regularly lol but yah it was an easy fix

1 / 3