Wisdom Teeth

My dentist has informed me that I have to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth have to come out. He has me scheduled to have them all pulled next thursday. I have not had a tooth pulled since I was a kid & I really don't remember any of that. I am wondering what I should expect & if there is anything I can do to help the recovery process. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Well I don't recommend taking the pills like I did I was aware of everything & they didn't numb me well enough so I had so pain also. I am recovering well my right side feels perfectly fine however my left side is still really sore. This is the side that had the infection in it so I am wondering if it may still be infected & maybe need more antibiotics.I think I am going to call the dentist tomorrow & see what they think. Thank you all for your words of wisdom, your thoughts & prayers.

The only thing I can suggest is to ask them if you have the option of being stitched up, rather than just leaving the gaping holes where the teeth were. For me, I only had 3 wisdom teeth and they took them all out at once. Problem was, only one had partially erupted through the gum. So they had to cut the gum for all three, and stitched me up. If you don't get stitched, then you run the chance of having dry socket, which I'm told is worse than anything else. Get stitched if at all possible!! Good luck.

You can either have a problem free experience or a miserable one depending on whether you get dry sockets. I got them after having all four pulled, and was miserable for a full weekend or longer, as I remember. My friend had all four pulled, and was back in action in a day or two.
And here's the kicker, I don't think there is anything you can do to determine whether you get them or not.

Like the other two said, get knocked out if you can. Definitly get all four taken out at the same time, you will not go back for the other once if you only do two at a time. I guess it depends on how you heal because i had no drouble at all after i got them pulled. No real pain and no swelling but i have heard other stories. It felt good to eat cold soft food. yogurt or pudding. Maybe have some noddle soup on hand since you are not allowed to really chew an anything. Good luck!!!

I had 2 of mine pulled....couldn't go back to get the other 2 done. I had mine pulled in the dentist office with just novacaine...don't do that..If you can get knocked out do it!!! You have to keep on top of the pain meds too...

This depends on you, really. My sister and I had ours out 2 weeks apart when we were in high school. She had a lot of pain and couldn't eat for a week. I had hardly any pain at all. Of course my first few days were things like soup, mashed potato, pudding, etc...but not much in the way of pain. We had the same doctor and the same procedure. So I always brace for the worst, and when it turns out better it seems like it was no big deal! Good luck!

I am one of the lucky ones that happened to have a fifth wisdom tooth, which meant that they really had to dig into my jaw to get that fifth one. I went to an oral surgeon and had the IV and felt nothing, except for a little high afterwards. I did have just a little swelling on the side with the extra tooth, but not too bad. And I only had to take the pain medicine for about a day and a half I think. My advice to you is go to an oral surgeon, get them all done at the same time, and then follow the doctor's orders. You usually are told to take it easy for a couple of days. My brother felt so good that he went out the night he had his done. Needless to say he paid a huge price for the next couple of days as he was in misery...lots of pain and actually throwing up sick. You don't want to do that for sure! Don't sweat it. It will be over with soon, and you'll be glad you did them all at once.

From what I have witnessed, everyone is different. Personally, I had all 4 taken out at the same time and was just fine. In fact, I actually went out to dinner that night! (I only had Coke and soup, but felt well enough to go out.) I had jury duty the next day and went. My daughters, on the other hand, struggled with nausea and pain. We all were asleep for our procedures. They were teenagers. They needed their pain meds - I never took mine. Maybe age has something to do with it. Also, whether or not the teeth are impacted makes a difference, and whether it is a soft tissue impaction or a bony impaction. Mine varied - 2 soft and 2 bony. Good luck!

If you work- plan to take the next day off too. It's gonna hurt and you will need the time. I agree- get knocked out if you can. Although they will numb the pain- the pressure will still be experienced. Good luck!

1 / 3