Wisconsin Dells with Preschooler, Best Place to Stay?

Hi Moms! We are planning our first FAMILY VACATION! We are planning on driving to Wisconsin Dells sometime in July. This will be our first trip to the Dells, so we have no idea what to expect. Could anyone recommend which the best waterpark would be to stay at with a 2 year old? (Actually she will be almost 3). We are looking for someplace with a LOT of indoor/outdoor activities to do (waterpark related and also jungle gyms, playgrounds ect.). Also, is there a place you would NOT recommend with young kids? Thanks!

Thanks for all the great suggestions and advice! We ended up being able to 'borrow' our friends' timeshare at Glacier Canyon Lodge in the Wilderness Resort. I saw that a lot of moms recommended the Wilderness, so that is encouraging! Thanks again!

Great Wolf Lodge - we actually have another trip planned again in about a week. We went when my daughter was 2 1/2 and now, she's 5 1/2 and my son is nearly 17 months so, I'm feeling confident that it will be great for both of them. They definitely cater to the kids. I think all places really focus on family fun inside and outside. But, we loved the bedtime story time in the evenings and the lodge is not right in the middle of all the action (on the main road).

This isn't a place to stay idea, but we were there last year with a large group and rented a house. I'd take a two year old on the Lost Canyon horse drawn wagon ride. It's about 45 minutes and is a fun way to see part of the Dells area.

Here is there information--

Address:
720 Canyon Rd
Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965
Phone:
###-###-####
Web:
www.dells.com/horses/lostcanyon.htm
Open:
April - October

The Wilderness in the Dells is THE BEST. Wet & dry activities. Very catering to families with young children. Several different indoor water parks. I would HIGHLY recommend going mid-week if you can, it is way less busy. But, even if you cant you'll have fun. There can be a lot of walking (with stuff!) so I'd plan to bring a small stroller if you child is 4 or under. They'll be tired. I'd also suggest getting a bigger room with a separate kitchen/living area if you have nappers. That way you don't have to "hunker down" in the dark trying to get a child to sleep. We really like Glacier Canyon Lodge (w/in the resort). Ask for a room near the walkway. You'll also want to purchase or borrow one of those zip-up water vests so you child can play more freely and you can worry less.
Have fun! www.wildernessresort.com

We went to the Kalahari resort and water park when our girls were ages 1.5 and 4. Can't say enough great things about this place! The water park was huge and had lots of child-friendly things to do, the restaurants on site were nice and also child-friendly, and our room was huge and not overly expensive. We found this place to be a great place for a family get-away! I highly recommend it!
The Dells is a great place to go for a family trip, you will find lots to do. Have a great time!

I vote for the Wilderness, too. We were just there 2 weeks ago, for the 2nd time in 6 months. There are tons of different pools in and out and the indoor play area is great.

My daughter is older but we loved the Glacier Canyon it is part of the Wilderness. You have access to all of their pools indoor and out. Plus instead of getting into your car wet you can take a shuttle to all the pools. We had a blast we've went there twice now. There are pools for all ages. Plus they have rooms with kitchens in it if you don't want to eat out all the time. The prices are pretty reasonable and the pool prices are included I believe up to 4 people or depending how big of a room you get. Good luck! Here is the website http://www.glaciercanyonlodge.com/

The Kalahari is our favorite place. There is a wonderful indoor amusement park and the best thing about that place is the free playground. Things there are pretty pricey but if you bring a cooler full of things to eat/drink in your room (there's a microwave and fridge in each room) then you can save a TON of money.

We have been to the Wilderness outdoor/indoor waterpark resort and were disappointed with the liberal attitude of the staff in regards to safety and the serving/consuming of alcohol around every corner....and we weren't surprised to hear of the drowning that occurred there a few years ago. I am sure they changed things but we won't be returning there.

I would go to the Wilderness Resort. We go there annually in December (great rate deals). The have three indoor water parks and an indoor playground and a game room. Many areas appropriate for a two year old. One of the things we like is that the parks are exclusively for guests (which is monitored by bracelets you are given at check in time). You cannot use the parks unless you are an overnight guest. I feel this helps limit how big the crowds can get. I believe the Kalahari you can just pay a day fee and use their parks. The Wilderness also has a fun candy shop and a couple of gift shops. The staff their is excellent (including many great lifeguards) all are very, very friendly and helpful. This past December my husband looked out our room window to the parking lot one morning. It had snowed that night and there were staff outside with leaf blowers blowing the snow off of all the cars. What service. Wherever you go have a great time!

1 / 3