Wine Substitute for Recipe?

I need a substitute for a recipe calling for red wine, which I don't have any of. It's a baked beef stew recipe calling for dry ingredients and wine as the only wet one.

Contrary to Theresa's post it actually doesn't cook out all the way. Sorry I just watch the food channel all the time and had originally though that it did to, but nope. I've heard it several times that it doesn't. AND some people just don't want to go get wine or don't have the means to easily. and I've been wondering this myself for awhile since I don't drink anymore. Thanks for asking it!

Here's what I found when I googled red wine subsitute

Red Wine - Red grape juice, cranberry juice, chicken broth, beef broth, vegetable broth, clam juice, fruit juices, flavored vinegar. (Substitute equal amount of liquid.)

Wine, Red

Substitute - General

Note: add water, white grape juice, apple juice, or broth, if necessary, to get the specified amount of liquid called for in the recipe.

orGrape juice; vegetable stock; cranberry juice; tomato juice; or concord grape jelly.
Substitute - Measured

1/4 cup or more red wine, substitute the following: equal measure of red grape juice, cranberry juice, apple cider, chicken broth, clam juice, flavored vinegar, or nonalcoholic wine. If you use nonalcoholic wine, add a tablespoon of vinegar to cut the sweetness

I'm curious why you don't simply go get a bottle of red wine? If you are concerned about alcohol content, cooking takes all the alcohol out of it--it is merely for the excellent flavor and the special ability that wine has to infuse itself throughout the meat that it is included in the recipe.

If you really, really can't get wine, then I would substitute the same amount of a solution of vinegar, some type of deep red juice such as grape or pomegranate, and a bit of water.

Beef broth or veggie broth. It'll be fine.

Updated

You can use beef stock instead.

Wine in a recipe usually serves the purpose of bringing the acidity level up, so you can substitute with anything that has a similar acidity level- such as vinegar or some juices, for example- but I suggest keeping a bottle of cooking wine on hand, because there really is no good substitute for a good bottle of cooking wine!

I would use beef stock for a beef stew recipe.

I use vinegar...not white of course cider, apple or cherry, half of that and half beef broth

1 / 3