Will I Be Able to Be a SAHM? Wahm?

Will I be able to be a stay at home mom? My husband makes a modest salary ranging from 20-24,000 a year. We have property taxes ever spring and winter. I am planing on cutting down on things such as entertainment and non essential items. My question is will this be enough to live on or sould I make money somehow? We dont have car payments. Our living expences are phone, cable, insurance, and food.

My hubby makes twice that amount and we barely make it by with me not working outside the home. And we don't even have car payments. So, I'd say you're going to need to work or be very comfortable with having NO extra for anything you want.

I guess it just depends on how much those bills add up to be if it works out then why not? You could sell Avon or Mary Kay on the side. The sucky thing about that is you have to buy the starter kits I've been told other than that I wouldn't think It would be too hard to do.

I think that the US Government defines the "poverty line" at around $22,000 for a family of 4. I guess if you have no housing expense you might be OK however, you have no margin for error. If you have savings and excellent health care you may be OK.

I think that is a pretty tight budget. I would make money somehow and put it in the bank. Try to live on your husbands salary only. Your goal should be to have 6 months of living in the bank. You never know when something may happen where neither of you would be able to work. There is also college to think of and expenses you can't predict. If you are on such a tight budget then you are at risk of debt, which you want to avoid.

I have my own small business at home. Let me know if you would like me to tell you about it.

This response is a gift--seriously--it will help you BEYOND measure!
Get a Dave Ramsey book--either Financial Peace or Total Money Makeover. Good plan for living on less than you make, eliminating debt, etc.
So the answer is--YES! With common sense and smart judgments you CAN do this, for sure!

Are you currently working now? If so, then I would TRY it right now. Don't quit your job, just put ALL of the money you make into a savings account/rainy day fund and pretend that you didn't earn anything at all, like if you were staying home not working. If you cannot manage on it now, you won't be able then. If you can, then you can start saving all the extra that you are currently making to offset extra expenses later.

It will be tight, but sit with your husband and discuss some ideas...

1. How long is he planning to work alone?
2. WIll you need childcare and when?
3. Do you pay for rent/mortgage and how much, when due?
4. What about food, will you be able to live on a limited budget
5. Will it affect your relationship and his view of you after 1 mo, 1 year, etc
6. Do you drive, is there maintenance issues for the cars, etc
7. Retirement, how old are you, and can you afford that long term?
8. Are you good at budgeting and can limit your expenses?

Just some things to consider and then you both can decide if that is enough for you to work or stay at home...every one's situation is different. Some can make it on little or nothing and others cannot give up certain luxuries.

I believe your husband will not owe income taxes if you have a child, but it will be tight.

Don't buy into any home sales companies. You have to not only sell overpriced things yourself in a horrid economy, but recruit people to sell.
I don't know anyone who ever was able to support themselves this way.
I know two ladies who got a car from Mary Kay. Just don't open their closets as they are stuffed with merchandise they bought and have not sold.

If you could do babysitting for an infant, you MIGHT find someone to pay you $400 per month. I know a doctor who allows her nanny to bring one child to her house to sit and pays very well.

I see that you live in Galt and we live in Stockton. At the time of our son's birth, my husband did not make alot of money. We live frugally and there our programs that can help you out.
Your child can qualify to be on Healthy Families insurance and the monthly cost is based on income. Also, WIC - great program that pays for milk, cereal, formula(depending on the age of your child), cheese, juice and I believe more products now.
It is tough living on one income but my husband and I agreed that it is best for me to be home with our children when they're young.
You can send me a personal message if you have any more questions.

If you have to choose WHEN or WHETHER to stay at home with your children there are certainly the economic issues to consider, but also the parenting and developmental ones. If forced to make a choice, I would save up to be able to be a SAHM when my kids hit about 5th or 6th grade. Being the mom who is home in the neighborhood during that tumultuous time can be really critical to their safety, development etc. during the middle school and high school years

1 / 3