Will Dss Get Involved?

I have a cousin that has had two babies. both died I have no doubt in my mind that she had something to do w/ the deaths as she was very depressed after having both although no charges have been pressed. She is pregnant again and completely denies it. she hasn't been to a doctor yet and she is 7 months roughly guessing by her size, she drinks, and does drugs. I fear for this baby and I am sad for this baby. If I call dss will they be able to do anything even though she is still pregnant. I think she needs intervention right from the second she gives birth.

.

That first phone call is SO hard. Been there, done that, and SWEATED over it, even though it was just as obvious an answer and a need. Yes. Make it. Now.

PLEASE call!! You can be a better advocate for that unborn baby than her own biological mother!! Call someone - police, DSS, DFS, SOMEONE!!!

Yes, they absolutely can do something considering the history of the other two children. Especially if she hasn't gotten prenatal care and uncontrolled substances come up on a UA. They can make sure she doesn't take that baby home from the hospital. It will go directly to a family member or into foster care, which would be better than the alternative if what you suspect turns out to be true.

Call dss and tell them your concerns and why. Be thorough in your explanations and if someone within the family can take the baby have a care plan laid out for the dss worker.

My friend is a foster mom and has picked up many a baby from the hospital nursery and taken them home to care for them. So, yeah, they can intervene early.

Why not call and find out. We can all make guesses about what they'll do, but you can know for sure just by making the call. Let them know your concerns and if they can act now, they will. If not, the situation is no worse than before you called.

HTH

I would most definitely call. Give them as much info as you can!

Yes call them.

In some states, they will criminally charge her....
she of course, already endangered her unborn child.
And she is an addict and alcoholic... who will need mental heath counseling/treatment herself. If possible. Or not.

Many babies are born.... under drugs... and do suffer.... later, mentally/behaviorally/emotionally.
Or perhaps by some miracle, this baby will be spared this.

all the best,
Susan

CALL !!! You will be able to look yourself in the mirror and sleep at night.

I called the hospital that my daughter was going in to have her baby and asked about requesting drug testing when an infant is born.

They understood what I was actually saying "my daughter is doing drugs and that baby needed to be tested at birth".

They talked to the doc and he told my daughter drug testing was required when an infant is born to test them for any drugs. Of course it is not required in any way shape or form but she didn't have any idea.

Child welfare was at the hospital later that afternoon and they were very involved in the first few months of that child's life. She is being adopted by a very loving foster family and we see her quite often.

1 / 3