Why Is My Face So Oily?!!

I used to have dry skin in my 20s - early 30s.
As I move toward my 40s, my face is getting so oily, especially in the T zone area.

My current morning routine is to use a facial cleanser which has some beads for exfolliating. Then I use Estee Lauder moisturizer w/spf. I use Bare Minerals Matte powder. After doing this routine, I will do the rest of my makeup and then I still notice a significant amount of oil coming out of the pores that are on my nose. Kinda gross. I also have Bare Minerals veil powder which I use to help reduce the oil/shine, but sometimes that isn't enough. Especially as I go through the day, I notice the shine coming back.

Is there an underlying issue - maybe my hormones - that is causing this excessive oil on my face?
Any advice on how to reduce the oil in my T zone area?
It seems to be getting worse and worse.

Could be hormones, could be what you're eating, could be the skincare you're using isn't forumlated specifically for combo-oily skin, could be the makeup you're using isn't geared toward oily skin and is allowing it to seep through the makeup and the powder isn't absorbing it, could be a combo of all of the above.

The more oily the skin, the less wrinles. Your oily skin isn't neccessarily a bad thing!

Updated

Updated

Wash with Cetaphil-you may be over-stimulating the oil production with a scrub.

Our skin changes as we age. I always expected dry skin as part of aging, but mine has goten oilier. I use Cliniques skin care products and makeup. I've had to change from the "normal" to the "oily" version of their 3-step skin care - cleanser, astringent, and moisturizer.

Hello!!!

It's called age - this happens - some women's skin dries out - yours is getting oily....which CAN be a good thing!! You might not get as many wrinkles!!!

Now, I would only exfolliate once or twice a week - you could be over-drying your skin in the stuff you are using so your body is producing more oils to help with that.

Check out your diet. Look back to see if you've changed anything recently as well. if you don't have any changes, go to your PCP and ask them to run a blood test with hormone levels to see if you have more estrogen or testosterone in your system!!

good luck!! don't stress over this - stress will also help produce oils in your skin!!

I'd lay money on changing hormones.

But as for the rest...

From someone who has ALWAYS had oily skin:

- Only exfoliate once a week or so... or your skin will get even oiler (and it will be VERY oily on the day that you exfoliate)

- 2nding Cetaphil for daily washing in the morning & night

- Use an astringent after washing (I like Arcona Triad Pads, but witch hazel works, just doesn't smell great. Check out this "holiday" special still on sale http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/arcona-cranberry-kit-70-value... )

- Try switching moisturizers. I use estee lauder at night, and arcona magic white ice in the daytime. ((There are many moisturizers specifically for oily skin, however, those are just the ones I use. Magic White Ice does an odd "seal" type thing... you'd have to try it to understand, I can't quite explain it. it doesn't have SPF, though... so you either need to just depend on the SPF in your makeup (bare minerals is SPF 15-30), or use an spf before your moisturizer))

I use BareMinerals as well... 2 tricks:

1) Don't buy the mineral veil any more (save the old jar though). Instead, just buy cornstarch. Fill the jar with corn starch, add about 1/8th to 1/2 teaspoon of your foundation powder and stir. Voila. ((Mineral veil is just cornstarch + foundation for pigment... you can read it on the ingredients. CS costs about $2 for a box of it. Saves you tons, since it makes about 10 jars of mineral veil from 1 box))

2) Instead of adding more makeup... use a pad to wipe off the oil from your nose or T / retone it, and reapply to that area. Only adds about an extra 20 seconds and you're starting off "fresh" / don't need to rewash your whole face or redo everything.

((I'm going to try the Fango Mud... it's been on my list for awhile, but haven't. Eeeeew. I've had to not wash my face from time to time... I can literally wipe "sludge" off of it -can draw on windows, don't ask- / feel awful until I get my face washed... with handsoap if necessary. OTW, by that afternoon my pores are completely clogged and I'm broken out by nighttime. Icky. But washing with cetaphil twice a day - morning and night, keeps my skin clear and soft even without moisturizer. But with moisturizer my skin just *glows*))

I have read that you don't need to wash your face in the morning. Before bedtime, remove any make up and wash your face and moisturize. In the morning just take a warm wash cloth and hold on your face. Repeat a couple times. Apply moisturizer.

Since I stopped washing my face in the morning and just use the warm wash cloth, I don't have an oil slick on my face in the afternoon.

Hi M. H. I just read your post about having oily skin. Have you heard of Norwex? I'm an independent consultant and just wanted to recommend the enviro cloth which is a high quality microfiber blend of polyester and polymide and has an antibac agent silver which will not wash out. Norwex is all about eliminating chemicals in beauty care and cleaning and from personal experience the enviro cloth is worth every penny. It is your cleanser and exfoliant all in one. When taken care of properly the cloth will last up to 7 years. I also have Norwex night cream which is good for people who experience oily skin because it's a light cream and not heavy like the day cream. I think your problem may be the SPF moisturizer you are using. SPF tends to leave skin feeling greasy and looking oily. If Norwex sounds like something you would like to try please email me at ____@____.com think of it this way, you will be saving LOTS of money. Hope this helps.

1 / 3