Why Is My 11 Month Old Son Headbutting EVERYTHING

I swear you would think the kid was half billy goat. He was never shown as a play thing, he just started it. You pick him up, HEADBUTT to the face, arms, chest. He gets mad... Headbutts the floor and the toys. He gets tired, headbutts the crib and what ever he is near. He does it to the dog, to the wall, to his knees. HE does it purposely. Does anyone elses son do this, what do I do to stop it and can he wear a helmet I fear brain damage soon.

tried re direction it helps some, he is now doing more walking and less headbutting

He is using his head to explore.. It is like when he would kick his feet, bend his legs.. then the hands, then his arms.. Right now he is using it to see how hard things are, to see reactions and to use as communication..

Ignore it and he will realize it is not a helpful tool to butt his head..

It's a phase. Try to ignore it, he'll stop eventually.

My daughter did that....I had more headaches when she was small than I had before or since, lol. She eventually outgrew it.

God bless,

my son does this. His doctor says kids have hard head and he won't hurt himself. the other day he head butted my and made my mouth bleed.

Just a phase!
One of many more to come!

Get the book "What To Expect The First Year" and, "What To Expect, The Toddler Years."

My son did that for few weeks because it was new. Everything new he does is an obsession for awhile and passed. We just didn't pay any attention to it unles it was aimed at us when he was angry and it was handled the same way as hitting ("no hitting" and walk away.) When he would heatbutt other things for other reasons, we ignored it after realizing that telling him not to do it (worried he would hurt himself among other things) only made him do it more.

The little boy I took care of did the same thing. He mostly did it when he was really mad about something. The best thing to do is just ignore the behavior! His parents really have a hard time ignoring it... it just freaks them out too much. He's still doing it 9 months later! Ignore it but if you can't set up a playpen and put him in it and walk away!

Kids explore all kinds of interactions with the world during their first couple of years. And they keep doing what seems to "work." Many, like hitting (self, head, or others), kicking, are disturbing to parents and tend to get strong reactions.

Kids crave attention and notice, even if it's negative, though they prefer positive and happy attention. So, other than a calm statement like "No hitting, please," and perhaps putting him in his playpen or just walking away, do your best to ignore the behavior. Also, make a point of noticing things you like or appreciate or find amusing, and make sure he knows you've noticed. An approving word, a touch, a smile or giggle. He'll like that attention and start focusing more on the behaviors you like.

1 / 3