Why Does My Leg Fall Asleep All the Time!

I am a full time working mom and spend most of the day behind the desk. I have a problem with my leg or legs falling asleep almost EVERY SINGLE DAY, at least one or twice a day at work. This doesnt ever happen when I am home but it is becoming very annoying and I am wondering if this happens this often to any one else and why do you think it happen? I am 5'4" tall, about 112 LBS and I do get up out of my chair every 30 mins or so to get water, go to the printer, fax or the restroom. The other day, I went to get water and was stuck there. The messenger came to deliver a package and I couldnt even go to him to sign for it. When it happens, it starts with a tingle, then sometimes I lose feeling in that leg and cant walk and then it ends with pins and needles or feels like ants crawling all up and down. Touching my leg or putting my foot down during one of the episodes can be painful as well.

I have this same problem with my arms/fingers, and with regular chiropractic care, it's virtually disappeared. I still have problems, but with a single adjustment, I'm good for a couple weeks. I highly recommend seeing a chiropractor; he or she can make a referral to a doctor if it's not a chiropractic issue :)

Hi T.,

It sounds like you might have circulation problems. I have a few ideas that will help with it.

If you are interested let me know.

Have a great day.

N. Marie

Hi T.,

If you are interested let me know.

Have a great day.

N. Marie

I suggest you have a consultation at work to make sure the ergonomics of your desk area are correct. You would be surprised how proper ergonomics at work can save you from all sorts of postural problems.

You should see a doctor to rule out sciatica. Sciatica is a set of symptoms including pain that may be caused by general compression and/or irritation of one of five nerve roots that give rise to the sciatic nerve (which essentially courses all the way down your leg), or by compression or irritation of the sciatic nerve itself. Also, in a small percentage of the population, the sciatic nerve will pierce the piriformis muscle, which can cause the difficulties you have described- especially if you are not seated correctly at your desk.

Wiki article on proper ergonomics: http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-an-Ergonomically-Correct-Wo...

Hi T.: I have been taught by my doctor wha tto do when this happens to me. For me it is always on my left side, hip to toes. My case is different because it seems that from sitting in a bad angle I pushed a disc out somehow and have a pinched nerve.
Try a ball- tennis or what ever-- and roll it around while you are working. This makes you have to sit in proper position to do this. I also put a wedge at my lower back or vibrater brace, and that helps withthe nerve staying as good as it can. I have used both accupuncture, and Chriopractor, I liked and got the most relief from my Accupunture treatments.
Good Luck, Nana Glenda

Do you have pain running from your butt down your leg? If so it could be Sciatica. If thats what is is it can be fixed by a good LMT (Licensed Massage Therapist). It could also possibly by Restless Leg Syndrome, does it wake you up at night? Also, sometimes a potassium deficiency can cause leg pain...eat a banana. I'm about the same size as you and I have a lot of pain in my legs also...mine is mild Lupus. If your pain is severe, I would recommend seeing a Rumatoligist.(spelling?) Anyways...you could get your A&A levels checked with a blood test. I keep my pain under control with just IB profin and Tylenol. A heating pad helps me a lot and hot baths. I hope something I said will help you. I actually am an LMT myself so I could give u a website to find local LMTs in your area if you want it. Good luck and I hope you feel better.

I would recommend consulting a neurologist about this symptom.
Hopefully it is nothing and s/he can reassure you, but if it is
something more serious, the sooner you know, the better.

A little about me: A child psychiatrist with two kids, a 19yo boy and 12 yo girl, married 21 yrs to a supportive husband.

You can try adjusting your chair differently - there are websites out there that show the most ergonomic ways to adjust your work chair so you are positioned comfortably.

If that doesn't work, you may want to try seeing a good chiropractor. My arms used to fall asleep all the time - pins and needles all the way down to my fingers! It was awful. Well, I had had a sports injury to my neck years ago, and it turns out that there was pressure on my nerves leading down into my arms. After some chiropractic adjustment, I started to feel a lot better. It's amazing how being a little out of alignment can cause all kinds of problems.

I'd start by mentioning this to the HR department where you work - lots of times, companies have an ergonomics consultant they can send to ensure your desk is the proper height for you, etc. Since you don't have this issue at home, I'm guessing it's something about your chair or your desk that is causing this issue.

You should see an orthopedic surgeon. It could be a pinched nerve, but it could also be a number of other conditions,including peripheral neuropathy. Don't put it off. Good luck.

I would first ask your work for an ergonomic evaluation and chages to your workstation as it's probably that. However there are conditions of the spine which can result in leg numbness/tingling. One is a herniated disc although this usually comes with pain as well. The other is stenosis (think of this like a clogging artery- the bony opening in your spine for the nerve is getting crowded by bone overgrowth and closing in on the nerve causing symptoms) which is usually a condition of aging although it can happen in younger people. I would be evaluated by your dr to rule out these conditions and then get some physical therapy. Along with workstation changes you should be fine.

1 / 3