Why Does My Cats Litter Box Smell So Bad?

So I adopted a male cat recently and he is overweight. His poop alsways smells really bad and I have tried so many different types of expensive cat litters to help get rid of the smell and nothing seems to work. He eats purina dry food for weight management. He poops 3-5 times a day and I even notice blood in it quite often in his poop and on his bum. Recently for the past week and a half the smell has gotten worse and smells like rotting puke. Is there something wrong with him? Im not sure if I should bring him to the vet if it's nothing serious.

He might be allergic to the cat food. I would bring him into the vet personally. He might have also eaten something that's stuck inside. There should never be blood in the stool, ever. Hope he's OK.

I would definitely take him to the vet. It isn't normal or healthy to have blood in poop or on his bottom. There is certainly something wrong.

Cat poop doesn't smell good and if he's not burying it, it will smell horrible. The difference between my cat burying his poop and not burying it is amazing! Cat litter does a great job normally.

That being said, the blood isn't normal. Well, once in a great while, but if it's common, he should get checked out. He may be straining and is bleeding as a result. Could be as something as simple as changes in diet. Is he drinking enough? You may want to give him some wet food as well to give him some moisture in his diet.

I would recommend a vet visit. They can do a fecal exam (call first and get their recommendation....you can probably bring a fresh sample in a ziploc bag) and check him out.

Definitly take him to the vet. If your cat is having bloody stool & see blood on his bum then there may be an underlying issue that needs to be addressed. Especially if his poo really smells that badly. I've had cats since i was a little girl & as far as I know from experience, a cat's poo shouldn't smell any worse than a human's. Your kitty may just be constipated or have intestinal parasites or somthing that may need addressing. I'd call the vet first to see what they say or look for answers online so you'll have some type of possible answer or information. Try moist/canned food for a change & if no change in this symptom then definitly call the vet. Also, for the smell, try using Exquisicat litter at Petsmart, I've found this litter to be good after trying many others. Hope this helps & good luck.

I would take your cat to the vet right away. He may have some form of bacterial or parasite infection (i.e. Gilardia, etc...). It is not normal for your cat to bleed when he poops. True, cat feces does not smell terrific, but it should not be getting worse.

I've heard that Iams food is the best for making their poop not smell so bad...

Blood is not a good sign. Take him to the vet immediately.

ugh, i can so sympathise with you!! my cat's box is so nasty and stinky i gag every time i go by it. mine apparently eats whatever things on the floor that he can chew (and my husband gives him things like beef jerky and pork rinds...ew, why?) anyhow, once he was eating more wet food (i give him half a can every 2-3 days, he's fat as well and has plaque on his teeth bad) it let up some. the blood isn't normal if it's happening alot...also, with the different litter types...did you try the crystal type ones? that seems to be my cats fave and he's more prone to bury then as well. helps more with stinky.

Take your cat to a vet he has trouble the dr will know what to do A. hae two wonderful catts A. no hills

1 / 3