Why Do My Kids Do This to Me

Okay to all you mommas out there im a hypocondriac and have major food issues (proper storing, preparing etc) so my kids are at their cousins house and they all have been watching finding bigfoot so i guess they were out playing in the trees trying to find bigfoot so they snuck in my sil house and got sandwich meat and wrapped it in foil and hung it from the trees as bait. I do not know how long the meat was left out in 90 degree heat wrapped in foil and my SIL goes out there to check on them and asks what the heck is hanging from the trees and they tell her its sandwich meat for bait so they are taking it down to throw away and my daughter eats a few pieces. Now im freaking out she is going to get sick!!!!!!!! I guess only time will tell but i just had to put it out there to help make me feel better so please tell me im freaking out over nothing.

so far so good!!!!

S., I hope that by now you know everything is okay. There are many variables at play with meat - how old it was when you bought it, how long it was out of the frig in the kitchen, how hot it is in the kitchen, and how long the kids had it outside. What kind of sandwich meat it is too (salty meat might last longer).

The stronger a person's consitution is, the better they can handle it. People in India get used to this kind of stuff and can eat it. I have friends from India who live outside of the country, and when they come back home to visit for a while, go ahead and eat at one of the little outdoor kiosks so they'll just go ahead and get "Delhi belly" and get their bodies back to being used it. Sounds awful, I know (I've had Delhi belly and it ain't fun!!) but strong constitutions can handle a lot, if it's not E coli or salmonella, etc.

Let us know in a couple of days how she is, okay?!

It's probably nothing. Hot meat isn't bad for them unless it's out there for a long while, days. I bet she will be fine. When were they sneaking around outside? Just today? If so, it'll just be eating warm sandwich meat... maybe on the hot side, but I doubt it's spoiled in that small amount of time especially wrapped in foil. The most it would do is cause her to throw up, maybe.

Think of it as "natures crock pot".
If it was just a few hours its not too different than if you had heated it up in a frying pan. Yum lets all have some Sundried Big Foot bologna bait. (o:

If it was really gone she would have spit it out or at worst thrown up within several hours. Human beings evolved in a world without air conditioning or refrigeration and a lot of our immune system is in the digestion. I'd be grossed out too.

My son is also one of those "has to learn the hard way" kids most of the time.

Your are freaking out over nothing and she will be fine. I'm not just typing this, she really will be fine.
Although I think if I put anything that sat out in 90 + heat in my mouth I would spit it back out. ick

She'll be OK mama.

No point freaking out now. What's done is done. If she does get sick, you'll just have to deal with it, like all those other lovely times we mommies have to catch vomit in our hands, and clean beds in the wee hours of the night.

Is she actually feeling sick now? If she just ate a little, she'll probably be just fine. At the most she'll maybe get an upset tummy and it will be self-limiting so that will be the end of it. One time I accidentally gave my stepson a sandwich made with deli turkey meat that was over a week old, instead of the fresh stuff I had just bought that day and I freaked out when I realized it later, thinking he would die from food poisoning. He was fine - he never even felt ill.

She'll be fine. I'd be surprised if she got sick. 90 degree heat while they were playing a game? No problem!!! Two or three days at 90 degrees. Then that's a problem.

Our ancestors walked across the plains with covered wagons and meat put in leather bags to keep the flies off and they lived and thrived. We have been so bombarded my the media about all the "bugs" that could be in food (But usually aren't!!!) that we have developed an unreasonable fear and paranoia about food and food safety.

Good luck to you and yours.

Has you daughter become sick? If not, rethink your phobias mama.

Blessings......

1 / 3